PB issue

Need help?
Malgeric

PB issue

Post by Malgeric »

Well hello ,been long time coming and been meaning to register up here just taken this frigging long.so hello to the powers that be.First off THNXS huge for having a great server/ gotsto get around to gettin you all some coinage. On to my problem of the moment K here goes ,keep in mind im a 40 somthing gamer with limited PC knowledge or enough to be dangerous.I played games last night no problem,went to bed after doing a PC shut down properly ,get up this morn fire up the ole girl and go to play on line and start getting pb probs ,in game it tells me there are no probs starts up fine no errors all that jazz then bang error,,,,,,,,,,,,O/S priveldges,,,,,,,,,,,,BOOM KICKED,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,losing key packets . Now i have tried to make sure im updated but i dont seem to get any thing ,and it says im fine ,so whats the scoop ,gonna have to do a re install or just what ,,,,,any ideas suggestions greatly appreciated ,,,,,,,,,,,,thnxs again alll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Malgeric
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: PB issue

Post by Swanny-CG »

Have you installed anything recently, like OneCare, ZoneAlarm or any other type of software, maybe (or maybe not) including a firewall? Have you changed your Windows Firewall config at all? You could try turning off your firewall(s) temporarily and see if that fixes it for you.

OS Privs usually mean you don't have administrative rights on your PC. I'm assuming you didn't take those away from yourself, so how about PBSETUP.exe? Get it from here and follow the instructions (or see Step 3 below).

If PBSETUP doesn't work for you, here is some info on reinstalling punkbuster (borrowed from http://woolfy.flotserver.net/PunkBuster ... unkBuster/):

PunkBuster Reinstall
If you are having trouble with PunkBuster, such as getting kicked or disconnected from the game, please follow the steps listed below. Be sure to follow the steps exactly and in order to completely reinstall PunkBuster. If you skip a step, you may not solve your problem.

Step 1 - Uninstall
Before you reinstall PunkBuster, it's best to first uninstall it first, so that we can start out fresh.
1. Download pbsvc.exe from here, the utility which will allow you to uninstall and reinstall PunkBuster.
2. Open pbsvc.exe and select Un-Install/Remove PunkBuster Service.
3. Go to your Battlefield 2142 Folder (C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2142) and delete the /pb/ folder.

Step 2 - Reinstall
Once the uninstall has been completed, you can reinstall the PunkBuster Service.
1. Open pbsvc.exe again, but this time select Install/Re-Install PunkBuster Service.
2. If you have a firewall, be sure to allow PunkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe access to the internet.

After installing, it will test your services. Make sure that you get a "Test completed successfully without error." message.

Step 3 - Update PunkBuster
Finally, after you've finished the un-install and re-install steps, you should update PunkBuster.
1. Download pbsetup.exe, the utility to update PunkBuster (see my link at the top of this post).
2. Open pbsetup.exe and allow it to check for updates.
3. Click the "Add a Game" button at the top.
4. Select the game you wish to update, and make sure the path is correct.
5. Click the "Check for Updates" button at the top.

It may seem like a lot but these steps are pretty well laid out.

Other than that, you might need a reload of the whole game from scratch. Mr. MOJORyder has posted steps and links in this very same forum on how to do that.

Hopefully the above gets you sorted quickly. Please report back with your results so we can either keep digging or pass the answer to the next guy. :)