Need help?
Ready-FIRE-Aim
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

New rig & gaming challenges

Post by Ready-FIRE-Aim »

Hey all,

Just throwing this out to the mob in advance of some changes I'm facing. Getting a new Mac later today and the new OS won't run BF 1942 anymore. (The Mac version of 42 et. al. was originally ported to run on an old Motorola processor) Apple migrated to Intel a few years ago and accommodation for older apps will not be continued going forward.

My solution will be to begin play on the Windows platform from within an emulator in the Mac OS. (Please stow the Mac v PC abuse sailors! It will fall on deaf ears) I will install Win7 on a separate partition of my HD and then install a new PC version of 42. I've been busy studying all of the topics within this Tech Issues forum for new installs, addressing PB issues, adjusting display resolutions, creating shortcuts, configuring TS3, etc. but I note that some of those posts are getting a bit dated. I am mindful of the more recent connect/play posts and so if any of you have suggestions I would really appreciate them. Additionally I would be interested in the most appropriate Win7 package I can get by with for this limited purpose and the best low cost source for that and the game. Beyond that I am sure I will need some hand-holding with the actual install and set up, too.

The upside of all this is that I'm pretty sure I will be able to handle BF3 within the same environment when that comes out!

thanks,
RFA
Semper Rugby

Life is better just a half a bubble off dead plumb.
i_am_not_your_father
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: New rig & gaming challenges

Post by i_am_not_your_father »

RFA,

You have two solutions: 1) Using virtualization (e.g. VMWare, Parallels) 2) running Mac OS bootcamp. Both have pros and cons. Here are some that I can think of.

Virtualization Pros:
Running Mac OS and Windows (as guest OS) simultaneously.
Better security

Virtualization Cons:
Depending on the type of video card you get and the virtualization solution you go with, you may not be able to get your GPU's full performance capacity which is an essential component when running games of high-graphics demand. This is because you will be running your graphics card in "emulation" mode.

Resources (i.e. RAM, CPU) are shared between the host and the guest OS.

Boot Camp Pros:
Doesn't need a host Mac OS. It is like running a native windows box therefore making better use of hardware resources.
Boot camp comes bundled with your new Mac so no need to purchase additional software

Boot Camp Cons:
You cannot run Mac OS and Windows simultaneously - it is either windows or mac os.
Security - since one OS will be offline, you run into the risk of not getting OS and app updates regularly.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

IANYF
Kamalla
Sri Lanka

Post by Kamalla »

I'll hold yer hand... all I know is Bootcamp will work and a mirror partition has a couple plus'on it ...

Good luck lerve ;)
MOJORyder
United States of America

Post by MOJORyder »

all jesse had to do with Win 7 was install as XP...hopefully that will do it for you.
What makes America great? Guns and Liquor. Be sure to save a round for Obama.
BoOn
Canada

Post by BoOn »

Ready-FIRE-Aim wrote: (Please stow the Mac v PC abuse sailors! It will fall on deaf ears)
Damn !!