Multiple Monitors and BF1942

Need help?
Slagothor

Multiple Monitors and BF1942

Post by Slagothor »

I thought I'd post this before I completely get my setup running. I'm running 3 monitors and am about to go full blown Eyefinity (right now just using SoftTH). Is PB kicking for these setups. Just a note, I have not been able to get BF1942 to run properly with SoftTH. If anyone can assist, I'd greatly appreciate. What do the admins think of multiple monitors, do you consider it an advantage? I'd like to get everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Jesse
BoOn
Canada

Re: Multiple Monitors and BF1942

Post by BoOn »

I wouldnt consider it a advantage having 3 monitors, I myself would love a setup like that. Now as far as setting up 3 monitors Im not sure how one would go about that , some other ppl here are smart in that area that could assist you, good luck :)
Slagothor

Post by Slagothor »

Boon,

It's not hard to do. Obviously the biggest expense is the monitors. I ended up getting some free LCD's and have mine set up. For gaming, I'm using a little app called SoftTH. It's a software version of the Matrox Triple Head 2 Go. If I can get a Display Port to VGA or active DVI adapter, I can run AMD's Eyefinity. Most "surround" gaming options requires all monitors to be the same size/resolution. SoftTH does not, and you can come up with some pretty exotic configurations. If you have a video card that can output more than just to one display, I would definitely look into it. It's a great little app. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Jesse
swodi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by swodi »

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup Jesse - I would say from the admin side of it - imo for sure legit and no worries. From the gamer side of it - TOO SWEET!!!! One of my favorite things would be to be able to play the game on just one of them and have other programs/pages on the other(s) so I don't have to Alt+Tab out of a game to see anything else...

I got sorta spoiled on the last point - I just sat a touch-screen computer right beside my gaming computer monitor so I can just look/touch the other screen for that stuff - but still not having to Alt+Tab out...

I'll be interested to see how you like it - both it's performance/functionality - AND how you like it in game... :)
Slagothor

Post by Slagothor »

Swodi,

I know for playing BF2, it looks awesome. Just some background...My system is Win 7 and has two PCIe slots but doesn't support Crossfire, only SLI. I bought a Radeon 6850 to do Eyefinity. Unfortunately I have not had the money to purchase an Active Display Port to DVI/VGA adapter (A must for Eyefinity). I added a Radeon 3450 that I had laying around and it is my third display, like follows:

Radeon 6850 DVI - Primary
DVI - Secondary

Radeon 3450 Display Port to DVI - Third Display

I'm using either SoftTH 1.09 or 2.08 (depending on game) and I can run across all three monitors. The sweet thing is that I've also calculated for bezel correction. It looks seamless. I have this working on the following games:

Battlefield 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Crysis 2
Dirt 3
Sims 3
X3 Terrain Conflict
Star Trek Online

Battlefield 1942 doesn't seem to work. I've tried numerous suggestions and I may build just an older Windows XP box and run three monitors off of it (I have three extra 17"). Anyone with any hints or suggestions, I'd be willing to try. I'll try it once I can actually run full blown Eyefinity.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just excited and thought I would share. If anyone is considering this, I'll be more than happy to assist.

-Jesse