Firewire compatibility

Need help?
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Firewire compatibility

Post by Swanny-CG »

I've been using a 2TB Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus on my laptop with a 4-pin to 6-pin cable.

I just purchase a 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk for Mac (for firewire ports) - it has FW800 ports on it.

I bought two cables:
1- FW800 to 4-pin (to eventually connect the GoFlex to my laptop)
1- FW800 to 6-pin (to chain my GoFlex to my OneTouch)

I plugged the GoFlex into the wall, and connected the GoFlex to my Maxtor using the FW800 to 6-pin. The GoFlex wouldn't spin up.

I removed the Maxtor and plugged the GoFlex straight into my laptop using the FW800 to 4-pin cable. The GoFlex wouldn't spin up.

I plugged the GoFlex into my desktop using the FW800 to 6-pin and the drive spun up fine.

My desktop also has a 6-pin to 6-pin port FW drive (also a Seagate). I plugged the GoFlex into that using the FW800 to 6-pin and it spun up fine. (Just a data point)

Here is my problem - I'd like to chain the drives to copy straight off one onto the other. The chaining doesn't work.
My laptop only has one firewire port.

I'm not sure why the GoFlex wouldn't spin up behind the Maxtor or connected to the 4-pin port on the laptop.

Anything you guys know about FireWire that might fix this (or at least explain it) is appreciated.

Thanks-
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Firewire compatibility

Post by Nightstalker »

From what it sounds like your firewire port is not working ... I talked to a friend of mine as I do not do Macs. Try this.

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Release the power button.
Attach the computers power cable.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.

And then if that doesnt work try something about resetting the P-RAM ???? and SMC???? I can get you info on that if needed.

Not sure what any of that does just relaying the messege.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

It's not a Mac, it's a PC - you can use the "for Mac" ones on a PC, it just means they have firewire ports.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Well $#!T :31:
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Certainly does sound like "plugging the GoFlex directly into my laptop doesn't work" is the first and most basic case to focus on.

I do assume neither drive is actually powered by the FireWire port; i.e. both drives have their own external power supplies, since you mentioned "plugging into the wall". One oddball case that came to mind was "what if your external power supply isn't working", and so the GoFlex is powering up only when it can draw enough power from the 1394 bus itself (which the desktop is able to supply, but the laptop isn't letting that much power get drawn through the Firewire port).

For what it's worth.

-Trench
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I considered that, and I actually do have a couple aftermarket power supplies that I bought for when I cart my stuff around. I got it to spin up using a USB cable today - it's like the drives I'm trying to chain it behind or the 4-pin port isn't sending a correct/strong enugh signal to tell it to wake up.

I'll try the aftermarket supplies but I'm not super hopeful.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Sadly, the aftermarket supplies I had didn't make any difference.

I guess I'll have to return the drive. Bummer. I haven't seen any 3 TB drives with a 6-pin firewire interface yet.

Thanks for the attempt though.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I think I figured it out - it seems that firewire 800 ports can run firewire 400 devices reliably, but it's trickier with firewire 800 devices on firewire 400 ports, particularly perhaps on 4-pin ports.

With enough juice, the 800 drive spun up. On the 4-port, it didn't happen.

I returned the FW800 drive and got a 3TB USB/FW400/FW800/eSATA drive. I'm good to go.