High ping

Need help?
Malgeric(can)

High ping

Post by Malgeric(can) »

:D howdy boyos......ok quesstion of ping.My knowledge is limited but looking for a reason for bad ping.When i switched providers i went from 70 to 80 up to about 90 with new provider.Lately now ....last 2- 3 weeks im getting ping of over 150 and as hi as 180.Nothing that I know of has changed ,But hoping some one can give me a starting spot to make my game better tired of getting completly owned .thanks guys....Malgeric
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: High ping

Post by Nightstalker »

Practice :P ... Actually that is not a joke. From what I have heard and I have no idea as to why your ping is higher unless that providers hub is further away from the server than your previous one, but you may need to adjust your aim for the new ping. I have been told that is the big difference with ping. I have battled irregular ping for a long time. I will tell you I would take a stable high ping any day than one that fluctuates from 60-9999 ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
c0loNeL
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by c0loNeL »

Hey Mal,
First off, are you running the same bandwidth as your old provider? (ping up from previous)
Second, try a speed test (one I use is http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ ) to make sure you are getting what your supposed to.
And thirdly, are you running a router? (Linksys, D-link, etc.) And if so, what kind, and are you running wireless or hard line?

C
C'mon Son
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by C'mon Son »

BTW Mal
We charge 150.00USD and hour.... Wonder what is that in Canadian and in Hill Billy??

:lol: :P :25: Just kidding...

Seriously these guys know there stuff ;)
"Now you're messin' with A son of a bi*ch" Nazareth-Hair of the Dog
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

C'mon Son wrote:BTW Mal
We charge 150.00USD and hour.... Wonder what is that in Canadian and in Hill Billy??

:lol: :P :25: Just kidding...

Seriously COLONEL know HIS stuff ;)

Fixed it for ya ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

The output of a traceroute can also help confirm there is nothing hinky in your first hop (your local router) and give a general picture of how far you are from the server and what networks you're going though. In Windows command prompt, "tracert 8.12.64.130" without the quotes.

Back when I was on F****** Comcast in Utah, I used to have to leave a visual traceroute logger running all the time on a second computer. Because some of the routes would presumably get overloaded and switch in the middle of the day, to where your adequate 12-hop trip through two or three states suddenly became a 20+ hop trip to the East Coast and back. Nothing to do about that except go do laundry for a while, or switch to a different ISP who has bought into different entry points to the national network.

-Trench