win 8

Need help?
sgt stokes
United States of America

win 8

Post by sgt stokes »

hey, I have been trying to figure out how to get bf 1942 to run right on win 8. pb kicks me and say it kicked me for 0 minutes. wtf over?
WE SHOULD BELIEVE IN GOD, FAMILY, AND COUNTRY, ALL OTHERS WE HUNT DOWN.
Killora

Re: win 8

Post by Killora »

sgt stokes wrote:hey, I have been trying to figure out how to get bf 1942 to run right on win 8. pb kicks me and say it kicked me for 0 minutes. wtf over?
Is that all it says? what's it say it kicked you for?
BoOn
Canada

Post by BoOn »

I couldnt even figure out how to shut down a laptop that was running Windows 8 so as far as your issue goes I wouldnt be the one to help.
Killora

Post by Killora »

BoOn wrote:I couldnt even figure out how to shut down a laptop that was running Windows 8 so as far as your issue goes I wouldnt be the one to help.
You can make windows 8 look identical to windows 7, i don't remember how, though.
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

yes it says o minutes on the kick screen, i got the other stuff working like the pb a and the rest.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

BoOn wrote:I couldnt even figure out how to shut down a laptop that was running Windows 8 so as far as your issue goes I wouldnt be the one to help.
I'm pretty sure you have to turn and wiggle your ass on the touchpad, then make wavy motions to the left with your arms like you're trying to push away an oversize stuffed panda who is being too agressive.

Or is that how you open up the mail reader. I can never keep the gestures straight.

-Trench
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

trench you aint right man.....seriously i dont know what 0 minutes is about.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

sgt stokes wrote:hey, I have been trying to figure out how to get bf 1942 to run right on win 8. pb kicks me and say it kicked me for 0 minutes.
Can't say the message is suggesting anything particular to me.

But for what it's worth, when I installed the CD-ROM version of Battlefield 1942 on Windows 8 x64, I didn't elect to have the 1.61 patch install its version of the Punkbuster client. Instead, after Battlefield 1942 and DesertCombat Final were installed, I used the PBSVC.EXE followed by PBSETUP.EXE available as PB42setup.zip from http://www.moongamers.com/forum/index.p ... howfile=68. During PBSETUP used "Add Game" and selected "Battlefield 1942" and then provided the "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942" path to the CD-based install. (If you're on 32-bit Windows 8, that path is simply "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942".)

Once the game was added in the list, then used the "Update" button which downloaded and installed Punkbuster for the game. As described in the readme included in PB42setup.zip, an error trying to overwrite a read-only .HTML file is expected during this process.

So I don't know if it will improve or change anything about whatever error you're getting, but you could try just doing those steps now to overwrite/reinstall the Punkbuster client with what's in PB42setup.zip.

Since you're posting here on the EA117 forums, do make sure you're installing the CD-based version of Battlefield 1942 and not the free Origin version, if your intention is to play on the EA117 server. The Origin version would not work for connecting to the EA117 server.

EDIT: Duh, there is the one other thing which was required even on Windows 7. Go into your DesertCombat launch shortcut and on the "Compatibility" tab set the BF1942.EXE program to run as "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)". This is also going to make it prompt you every time you launch (unless you disabled Windows User Account Control), but is necessary for preventing crashes and other issues. Just in case that wasn't already part of your Windows 8 setup.

-Trench
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

thanks trench i will give that a try.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Just UPgrade to Win 7 ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Tuck

Post by Tuck »

when sarge was gettin kicked yesterday, the last message I saw was "PnkbstrA.exe not intialized" in his kicked message. before that it manualy update punkbuster " type of error. hope that helps, I thinnk perhaps he ran tanks pb update before updating bf1942. and pnkbstrA blocked in startup.
Just a thought.
Ya..I'm an old fart
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Capitalize that "S" but you are mistaken. Yesterday I had my eye patch on and couldn't play crap. Is there an impostor? Off with his head!!

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

There is a guy that plays under just "Sarge"
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

thanks nightstalker, i think the is still with pb. it's now telling me 0 minutes...dont know what the hell thats about but it still wont let the laptop online. the pc is working great though. thanks again.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Are you sure its PB ... what is your keyhash just to make sure you are not on the ban list.
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

i dont know what that is.
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

what update for bf 1942? pb or is it something else?
swodi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by swodi »

your key hash is the serial key assigned to your cd... but if you're using the same cd for your pc and laptop, it's the same hash - and if the pc is working, it's not your has or that you've been banned ;)
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

no the pc is working fine. i tried the same disk, same thing with pb. tried a different disk. same thing, which is why i dont understand whats going on. when i go into bf and try to set it to run like xp, it does not show anything for xp. soi tried to run as admin and nothing, keeps saying 0 (zero) minutes...dont know wth i am doing i guess. got any c-4 to just blow shit up here at home?
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

swodi wrote:your key hash is the serial key assigned to your cd... but if you're using the same cd for your pc and laptop, it's the same hash - and if the pc is working, it's not your has or that you've been banned ;)

Pffft hahahah .. damn good point. I dont even remember reading the PC/laptop comment. :20:
Sheeesh.

OK .. go here and make sure you downloaded and installed the TankPB fix. And last but NOT least ... make sure you have the PB button clicked on the game menu.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I thought it sounded like the service wasn't started or maybe it's being blocked outbound at the firewall.
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

dont know guys, i am about ready to throw this damn thing out in the road and run over it a few times for good measure lol. i downloaded the tanks pb fix but this thing is still giving me the red ass.....
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Dont do that .. one PLEASE make sure the Punkbuster box is checked and I will ask one of the guys running the Windows system meant for phones .. I mean Win 8 and see what they are doing.
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

lol night, i was not about to throw a 500 dollar laptop out in the road. that was just frustration on my end lol. i am going to sit down with it tonight and see what else i can do with it. chow
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

LOL .. sarcasm bud .. I knew you would not run over a new laptop with a car. I know you are the drop it from the top of the tallest building type. Make sure to warn people before you do it. Don't want you to hurt anyone. ;)