win 8

Need help?
sgt stokes
United States of America

Re: win 8

Post by sgt stokes »

lol...no i am a run the hell over it kind of guy.....just trying to get this thing going so my son and i can come on the server and blow things up lol.
WE SHOULD BELIEVE IN GOD, FAMILY, AND COUNTRY, ALL OTHERS WE HUNT DOWN.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Unfortunately in my case I've not used the BattleField 1942 1.6 Update's version of PunkBuster on Windows 8, nor have I used the Tank's PB Update version of PunkBuster on Windows 8, so I don't know if there is anything special to expect with either one of those and/or whether they fail by default. I used the PB42setup.zip version of PunkBuster during my Windows 8 installation as described in the earlier post, and that is what has been working successfully for me on Windows 8.

I do recall that after installing PunkBuster, Windows Firewall rules had been automatically created for both PnkbstrA.exe and PnkbstrB.exe to allow their traffic on "Public" networks. I don't know if the PunkBuster install had initiated creating those rules, or whether they were simply created automatically by the Windows Firewall itself. But I did update those Windows Firewall rules to permit PnkbstrA.exe and PnkbstrB.exe traffic on both "Public" and "Private" networks, instead of just "Public", since I expected to classify the home network I was connected to as "Private".

If you're using some other firewall besides the Windows firewall (e.g. one built in to a third-party anti-virus or malware defense product), maybe the necessary firewall exceptions haven't been automaitcally created, and the communication for the PunkBuster services is being blocked for that reason.

-Trench
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

hey trench, where did you get the pb42setup.zip? i may try that as well...cant hurt right.
WE SHOULD BELIEVE IN GOD, FAMILY, AND COUNTRY, ALL OTHERS WE HUNT DOWN.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Link was in the previous post in this thread; download PB42setup.zip from http://www.moongamers.com/forum/index.p ... howfile=68. There is a readme inside PB42setup.zip to help.

Essentially run PBSVC.EXE to install the common PunkBuster services, followed by PBSETUP.EXE to add and update the PunkBuster modules for the actual game. During PBSETUP use "Add Game" and select "Battlefield 1942" and then provide the "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942" path to the CD-based install. (If you're on 32-bit Windows 8, that path is simply "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942".) Once the game is added in the list, then use the "Update" button in PBSETUP.EXE which downloads and installs Punkbuster modules specific to this game. As described in the readme included in PB42setup.zip, an error trying to overwrite a read-only .HTML file is expected during this process.

-Trench