virus in BF1942..?

Need help?
fluffy

virus in BF1942..?

Post by fluffy »

All of a sudden when I go to launch the game I get this...

WTH...It wont let me launch the game...If I temp disable AVG is will load the game...
BoOn
Canada

Re: virus in BF1942..?

Post by BoOn »

Not sure but if thats located in your temp files its possible that you may have picked up a virus surfing the net? Its pointing to a location that is not where BF42 loads from. Run a full scan and than see if your Virus software picks up that virus and than remove it and try running the game again.
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

I just didnt get why it keeps me from running BF.Seeing as its not located anywhere with BF files...AVG says that it removed the threat and when i go to launch the game again the same AVG window pops up...
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Yeah, being in your temp directory and named DrvMgt.dll, that's nothing to do directly with BF1942. Unfortunately if this virus is setup to execute and you did launch even once with AVG not blocking it, because typically BF1942 is setup to "Run as Administrator", this malware has had full permissions to hide itself pretty well now. AVG may in fact be deleting the file in the temp area, but he's re-creating himself next time from some other execution opportunity he's registered with.

Ideally, from a second non-suspect non-infected computer download AVG's current rescue live CD .ISO file (http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd) and burn that .ISO image as a CD. Then do a hard power-down or reset on your infected computer and boot from the rescue CD and perform the full virus scan that way. Running the virus scanner from within an already-compromised instance of Windows just leaves open options for the malware still hiding itself.

-Trench
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

I guess I dont know what I am doing lol..I dl'ed the CD file..burned it to a cdr..Changed in my bios to boot from the dvd/cd drive and it just keeps loading windows...
Pinhead
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Pinhead »

i had the same thing but my avg deleted it i dont know whats goin on with yours
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

fluffy wrote:I dl'ed the CD file..burned it to a cdr..Changed in my bios to boot from the dvd/cd drive and it just keeps loading windows...
Maybe you're already aware of this part, but since it can be different from how someone normally "burns files to a CD":

The .ISO file is a CD "image". You're not trying to burn a CD on which you can now see the .ISO file is the only file on the CD; you're actually wanting to burn a CD which is a byte-for-byte mirror if the contents of the .ISO file.

In third-party CD software that's usually a separate option like "burn image to CD" or "burn .ISO to CD". On Windows 7 and Windows 8 you can also use the built-in "isoburn.exe" to burn the .ISO file image to a CD.

Point being you're not going to just drag the .ISO file to a blank CD/DVD drive in Windows Explorer and then say "Burn files to disc" like you would for archiving other files to CD. That's simply "copying" the .ISO to be a file on a CD; not making a CD from the .ISO file image.

Another possibility is that even though the computer is enabled to boot from CD/DVD, the "boot order" may still be such that it's preferring to boot from the hard drive instead of the CD. i.e. Only if the hard drive didn't have any partitions would it resort to booting from CD. You can change the "boot order" so that CD/DVD is listed before the hard drive. On some computer there is also a "boot menu" key you can press when the machine is powering on (e.g. F9 on my HPs, F12 on my Dells) that lets you just pick which device to boot from regardless of order.

On some other CDs / DVDs / ISO images there can also be a consideration that you need to watch for a "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..." prompt, which will default to still booting from the hard drive if you don't press a key in time. But that's not the case with this AVG CD image; once you're successfully booting from the CD before the hard drive, you'll be taken straight to an AVG Rescue CD menu.

-Trench