half height video card

Need help?
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

half height video card

Post by Swanny-CG »

Hardware folks - I need some help.

I have a slimline tower and I need a video card. I'd prefer an hdmi port but at a minimum I need a DVI port. It has to fit in a small slot on the back of the pc.

I have a 16x PCIE slot available.

I don't need a lot of memory, I'm going to be hooking it up to a tv to watch videos. Trying to get one on the cheap. I have amazon prime but most cards there are newer and more expensive.

Thanks guys.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: half height video card

Post by OddJob2021 »

Usually the fans are what cause a video card to appear 'thick'. If you choose one that does not come with fans it should fit your application. Just make sure the case has proper air flow.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

You might also want to confirm what exactly you intend to use the PC for. Since you had mentioned "hook up to television" I was half way through an HTPC-specific response back when you originally posted, until I realized you were probably assuming to also use the same card for playing Battlefield 3 or other games.

So is this "Battlefield 3 / DirectX 11 inexpensively", or "Battlefield 1942 / DirectX 9 inexpensively", or "only playing computer videos on the television inexpensively." Which might help focus which kind of half-height video card experience could be most useful for this scenario.

-Trench
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I only need to hook it up to the TV to watch movies and play music.

I don't need half thickness, I need it to be half the length at the end where the actual ports are, since it's a slim tower. I found a 256 MB ATI card with a dual-port splitter for $20 on Amazon and went with that. I haven't installed and reloaded the OS with it in yet so for all I know it might be a bust. It was the cheapest thing I found that looked like it might work though.