Can't Install 1.6 to 1.6b patch

Need help?
FilthyCasual
Mexico

Can't Install 1.6 to 1.6b patch

Post by FilthyCasual »

After finally getting to install the DC mod for bf1942 i was trying to connect to the server only to get the punkbuster error, so i downloaded punkbuster only to find out that it doesn't have bf1942 anymore, so i try to download tanksPBupdate to fix that only this time it tells me that i need to have the 1.6b patch, so i download the patch BUT now it's giving me a window that says Severe couldn't find an battlefield 1942 installation. I'm starting to think I'm not gonna be able to play DC online, any tips you guys???
What'd you expect, I'm just a filthy casual.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Can't Install 1.6 to 1.6b patch

Post by Trench »

Did you originally install Battlefield 1942 from CDs, or is this a Battlefield 1942 game download from Origin?

If you're using the Origin-based Battlefield 1942 game, installers such as TanksPBUpdate attempt to default to the CD-based location of Battlefield 1942 instead of the Origin-based directory, and that might have been giving a false failure related to "you don't have 1.61b". If you are using the Origin-downloaded version of Battlefield 1942, you DO NOT NEED and MUST NOT INSTALL install any of the 1.6 or 1.61b patches into the Origin-based game directory.

For the Origin-based Battlefield 1942 game, to run TanksPBUpdate you need to replace the default game directory path Tank's installer shows you with the path "C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Battlefield 1942\pb". (Or, if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, the correct path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 1942\pb".) Look at step "6b. Install ONLY the Battlefield 1942-specific PunkBuster files" in the HOW TO: Use an Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server document.

If actually you have a CD-based Battlefield 1942 installation, it's less obvious why the 1.61b installer is giving you that error. The main thing I know to check there is that installing the 1.61b patch requires that you first install the 1.6 patch. You can download both patches from the ea117.com site from the Desert Combat downloads page. You need to download and apply "1.6 patch" (battlefield_1942_patch_v1.6.19.zip) first if you haven't already, and during this installation you need to select that you want to install PunkBuster. (The 1.6 patch is the first time EA offered PunkBuster for Battlefield 1942.) And then download and apply "1.6 to 1.61b Patch" (bf1942_patch_v1.6_to_v1.61b.zip).

For the CD-based version of the game, these installers should default to looking for Battlefield 1942 in the "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942" directory (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942" if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows), which is the correct directory for the CD-based installation of Battlefield 1942.

-Trench
FilthyCasual
Mexico

Re: Can't Install 1.6 to 1.6b patch

Post by FilthyCasual »

Thanks trench, its working perfectly now.
What'd you expect, I'm just a filthy casual.