So I was directed here for tech help.

Need help?
JiangZhongzheng

So I was directed here for tech help.

Post by JiangZhongzheng »

So, here are my problems:

CD version: It's all up to date, got Tank's PB Update, the game is up to 1.61, but whenever I try to connect to a server, the map will just never load. It stops at around 2% and never continues. Also, most of the servers are blanked out, but that might have to do with the server fix thing.

Origin: I can actually connect to and play on a server, but sometimes, it will also not load, which will require a retry.

Any idea what's happening?
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: So I was directed here for tech help.

Post by ryeontherocks »

did you install desert combat .07 and .08 final? other maps are not needed but the desert combat .07 and .08 mods are for you cd version.

other things to consider are:
did you install your 1.61b modd too?
are you running 64bit?
did you try running the game with xp (service pack 2 or 3) compatibility mode and as an administrator? if your running windows 7 or 8
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

All of Rye's questions are good details to provide. Note you do have to install DesertCombat .7 and DesertCombat Final (.8) "twice", once for your CD-based install and then again for your Origin-based install, if that's not already what you've done.

A couple of things which came to mind based on your description thus far:
JiangZhongzheng wrote:CD version: It's all up to date, got Tank's PB Update, the game is up to 1.61... Also, most of the servers are blanked out, but that might have to do with the server fix thing.
Specifically for that issue ("most servers are blanked out"), it's simply because you're running a normal, fully-patched CD-based 1.61b version of Battlefield 1942.

Most Battlefield 1942 servers out there (but not all of them) are actually Origin-based 1.612 versions, and a normal CD-based 1.61b client cannot connect to such servers because of the version difference. To address this, you can get a patched CD-based BF1942.EXE (not from Electronic Arts) which "forgives" the version difference and allows a CD-based Battlefield 1942 client to play on an Origin Battlefield 1942 server.

You can download the fixed BF1942.EXE from the Team-SiMPLE download page. Specifically the one you want to apply to your CD-based Battlefield 1942 game is the "Battlefield 1942 v1.612 Retail patched".

Download this .ZIP file and then overwrite both your BF1942.EXE and the MOD.DLLs in subdirectories using the patched versions contained in the .ZIP file. A description of this process is shown here, if needed.
JiangZhongzheng wrote:...whenever I try to connect to a server, the map will just never load. It stops at around 2% and never continues.
Origin: I can actually connect to and play on a server, but sometimes, it will also not load, which will require a retry.
An issue which occurs while loading the map is not uncommon, but typically has been reported as a "crash" rather than "just never loads". But there are some specific Windows configurations where its possible for "crash" to exhibit as "simply hangs", so let's assume for the moment you're crashing.

The best solution thus far has been to set the Windows "Compatibility" properties for BF1942.EXE to use "Run this program as an administrator" and also "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)" compatibility. Here is the example screen shot provided by tuia over in the Team-SiMPLE forums:

You would need to do this for BOTH your CD-based Battlefield 1942 BF1942.EXE and also your Origin-based Battlefield 1942 BF1942.EXE. Meaning if you have two different shortcuts on your desktop for launching the CD-based versus Origin-based version of the game, you need to right-click and bring up the "Properties" on each of them, and make the described changes in the "Compatibility" tab on both of these shortcuts.

-Trench
JiangZhongzheng

Post by JiangZhongzheng »

ryeontherocks wrote:did you install desert combat .07 and .08 final? other maps are not needed but the desert combat .07 and .08 mods are for you cd version.
Yes, I did, but I should mention this problem happens on other maps. I also think the game isn't crashing since I can go back to the server listing.
ryeontherocks wrote:other things to consider are:
did you install your 1.61b modd too?
are you running 64bit?
did you try running the game with xp (service pack 2 or 3) compatibility mode and as an administrator? if your running windows 7 or 8
1. What do you mean by mod?
2. Yes, this is a 64-bit system.
3. It's already like that, yes.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Mod is desert combat and desert combat final which is not ea games but a bunch of coders and modelers creating a game extension, and your loss of servers might be your mod isn't installed properly. I would follow Trenchs' advice we are lucky to have him around.