"If you are going through hell, keep going."
- Sir Winston Churchill
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Gamespy patch for Mac

Post by Trench »

Black Adder wrote:Anyone know of a Gamespy patch for Mac? Without getting a PC. :D
The only option for Macintosh I'm aware of would be to manually edit the "hosts" file. I'm not a Mac user, but my understanding the file location is "/private/etc/hosts". The line you would add is the same as when manually adding the entry to a Windows "hosts" file:

Code: Select all

109.71.69.254 master.gamespy.com
There appeared to be a fairly current walk-through of how to edit the Macintosh "hosts" file shown here: http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/edit-hosts-file-mac-os-x/

-Trench
Black Adder
Great Britain

Post by Black Adder »

Thanks for the info Trench! I have everything entered correctly but it's still hanging up when I choose Multiplayer. I can enter master.gamespy.com in a web browser and it takes me to a page containing "it works!". There must be something else going on. I'll keep searching for now!
- Sir Winston Churchill
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Were you or anyone else who asked about fixing Battlefield 1942 on Macintosh successful at resolving the issue? Just noticed that a player over in the -=AX=- forum didn't seem to be having much success even though they were successfully editing the HOSTS file. So just curious whether that actually worked for someone and just not him.

-Trench
Black Adder
Great Britain

Post by Black Adder »

Still no luck. It's strange how the web browsers are successfully redirected by the host modification but not BF! Thanks for the link to the other thread.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Thanks for the update. I just saw the posts from Pinhead and Opus in the instant chat. I have no idea what "the Macintosh version of Battlefield 1942" is, e.g. whether it's a native Macintosh application, or the PC version running under a Windows emulator on Macintosh, etc.
"A Macintosh-compatible version of BF1942 was also made and released by Aspyr Media in mid-2004."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefiel ... evelopment

"Battlefield 1942: Deluxe Edition - Mac" by Aspyr
http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-1942- ... B00021XPY0
If what you're actually running is the PC version running under some kind of emulator, that MIGHT explain the "I change my MacOS HOSTS file and it affects my browser, but not the game." For example, if the Windows emulator maintains it's own separate HOSTS file (in a location Windows applications expect to find it) and talks directly out to the DNS server rather than using the MacOS HOSTS file.

I'm not Mac-knowledgeable or "Battlefield 1942 on Mac"-knowledgeable enough to know the answer.

-Trench
Black Adder
Great Britain

Post by Black Adder »

I have been running the Mac version since 2007. Currently using 10.6.8 on this machine because an update to 10.7 did not support Rosetta which was required to run the older programs! I'm stumped on this one. I'll keep monitoring the active threads on the forums and if I find a fix I'll post here. As old as the game is, it's still fun to play. I may have to completely change my setup, to continue. I appreciate your help. Until then, "Black Adder is no more". :)
- Sir Winston Churchill
Black Adder
Great Britain

Post by Black Adder »

Well,interesting development. I have made some partial progress. After hitting multiplay, it hung up, (as usual)  I walked away. 15 -17 minutes later empty server window pops up. Went to add server put in IP and port and was able to connect! Esc hangs to exit game (use command q) Is there some kind of timeout that can be modified?
- Sir Winston Churchill
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Black Adder wrote:Well,interesting development. I have made some partial progress. After hitting multiplay, it hung up, (as usual)  I walked away. 15 -17 minutes later empty server window pops up. Went to add server put in IP and port and was able to connect! Esc hangs to exit game (use command q) Is there some kind of timeout that can be modified?
Well, "yes", but not without directly & manually editing the game binary. And I have not seen anyone producing patched game binaries for the Macintosh version of Battlefield 1942.

That's exactly one of the fixes that was made in the patched Windows BF1942.EXE files back in 2013, before the GameSpy shutdown was ever announced. The master.gamespy.com server had been unexpectedly down for a weekend some time ago, and that's when everyone noticed "hey, if master.gamespy.com goes down, this game hangs for a long time going into the Internet menu." So someone reverse-engineered enough of the Windows BF1942.EXE to find the spot that needed patched in order to "time out immediately" rather than waiting 10+ minutes, if and when master.gamespy.com is ever down.

Now in 2014, the master.gamespy.com server is permanently down, and the same long hang issue occurs for anyone who did not already apply the previous 2013 patched BF1942.EXE file. Now they have produced May 2014 patched BF1942.EXE files, which in addition to the previous "hang fix" from 2013 now also only attempts to connect to the -=AX=- replacement master server, instead of attempting to connect to master.gamespy.com.

This is also why someone who ONLY performs the HOSTS file modification (to redirect to the -=AX=- replacement master server) and DOES NOT apply a fixed BF1942.EXE is actually still going to see the 10+ minute hang issue, if and whenever the -=AX=- server goes temporarily or permanently offline. Without the patched BF1942.EXE, if whichever master server you're using is temporarily or permanently unreachable, the Battlefield 1942 game will hang. Which is why the fixed BF1942.EXE files are the recommended solution in ea117.com/gamespy, rather than the HOSTS-file-only modification.

But for the Macintosh Battlefield 1942, it seems like the HOSTS file approach is your only option. But we have yet to figure out why the HOSTS file approach is not working as expected for the Macintosh game.

-Trench
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

s[sk] from -=AX=- appears to be investigating, and so far the news is not good.

-Trench
Black Adder
Great Britain

Post by Black Adder »

There seems to be no immediate fix in the game for Mac. I opened a free Gametracker account and downloaded Gametracker Lite. You can add all your favourite servers here. Works great! Bypasses Gamespy. Esc will hang use command q. I would recommend this as a work arround for the few Mac players out there.
See you on the Battlefield! :D

http://www.gametracker.com/search/bf1942/
- Sir Winston Churchill
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I realize I'm late to the party but can you not just create a shortcut that connects directly to the server?