Invalid CD key (Passed BF from one HDD to another)

Need help?
FilthyCasual
Mexico

Invalid CD key (Passed BF from one HDD to another)

Post by FilthyCasual »

I got a new HDD since i filled the last one (60Gb) and now that i finished passing all my files from the old one i decided to waste time on BF. Everything went fine until i got to connecting to the server when the Invald CD Key message appeared any thoughts on how i can fic this. Also a friend of mine decided to download it too but not from origin (he got it after it got taken down) and he told me he's having the same problem.
What'd you expect, I'm just a filthy casual.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Invalid CD key (Passed BF from one HDD to another)

Post by Trench »

When you say "passed", are we talking literally about some kind of cloning method where you were able to keep your drive contents without having to re-install Windows? Or did you actually re-install Windows from scratch and you're just now getting to installing Battlefield 1942?

If it was the latter, since it sounds like you're using the Origin version, how much of HOW TO: Use an Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server was used, and for Step 6 did you indeed use "Battlefield 1942 GameSpy patch v1.61.exe" as recommended, or maybe one of the other post-GameSpy shutdown solutions?

If you had just imaged the drive and didn't need to re-install Windows or any applications, then I presume you were connecting recently with Battlefield 1942 on this machine such that the GameSpy shutdown solution was already implemented?

I haven't encountered the invalid CD key issue myself yet.

-Trench
FilthyCasual
Mexico

Post by FilthyCasual »

Trench wrote:When you say "passed", are we talking literally about some kind of cloning method where you were able to keep your drive contents without having to re-install Windows? Or did you actually re-install Windows from scratch and you're just now getting to installing Battlefield 1942?
A little bit of both. I re-installed windows on the new hard drive and when i finished with re-installing windows and my old programs i conected the old hard drive as slave so that i only had to drag the BF folder from one drive the other so that i didn't have to re-download BF and other mods i had. Also i did fix the gamespy problem on the old one.
What'd you expect, I'm just a filthy casual.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

If reinstallation of Battlefield 1942 itself was included in "re-installing my old programs", then I don't see any reason that bringing the old Battlefield 1942 folder and overwriting the new one should have fundamentally created a key issue.

But you said "so that I didn't have to re-download Battlefield", so that's making me wonder whether perhaps you /haven't/ gone through the re-installation of Battlefield 1942 itself. The CD key is one of several things the installation process puts into the registry, so just "bringing the Origin folder for Battlefield 1942 over to the new machine" wouldn't have re-performed those steps.

There was a time a while back where EA was recommending using "Repair Install" to fix Origin-based Battlefield 1942 players who were getting an invalid CD key message. I'm not sure if that option is going to be available to you if you've never previously had Origin "Install" Battlefield 1942 on this new machine / new hard drive. But that might be an additional option to look for & try if its available.

Otherwise my own next step would be to go ahead and do the Battlefield 1942 download & install on this new machine / new hard drive. You may also need to do this with any of the official expansion packs, since they also have their own keys. After doing all those, then the other mod-only stuff like DesertCombat probably should be okay with your approach of copying the old game directory from the old hard drive.

-Trench