Need help with screenshots

Need help?
fromage

Need help with screenshots

Post by fromage »

My dot matrix printer won't print my DC screenshots correctly. It's all pixely n stuff. How do I fix this and can you show me how to post my printed screenshots here? I hold the printed page up to the screen and nothing happens.

Here's my setup. What am I doing wrong?

ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: Need help with screenshots

Post by ryeontherocks »

The pixelating might be due to moisture in the grapple grommet.. you need to contact hp and Microsoft immediately wait and talk to the service techs make sure you tell them its not microspooling with the inter log interface and the updates didn't help!!! of course i am not trench who is the tech wizzard...

Btw when waiting for the tech guys try holding the printer to the screen until they answer if you dont they might put u on hold.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

a quick google search and here is a possible solution its called the Retro Encabulator device, which uses six hydrocoptic marzel vanes and an ambifacient lunar wane shaft to prevent unwanted side fumbling.

Here is a video explaining it all...
phpBB [video]
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

fromage wrote:My dot matrix printer won't print my DC screenshots correctly.
Don't know what to tell you. Just tested again now that we've applied the GameSpy update, and screen shots still print successfully on both my dot matrix and my daisy wheel. They print very clearly; these printed shots show exactly what my screen looks like during the game, depending on which printer I have connected:
ScreenShot10-dotmatrix.png
ScreenShot10-daisywheel.png
Now that I am running 1920x1080, I thought sure I might have to track down an updated daisy wheel to handle the additional resolution. But apparently those guys at Xerox were already thinking about WUXGA+ resolutions even back in 1983.

As for posting the printed screen shots here in the forum, you weren't far off, because holding them up to the screen is the right way if you're showing them to just one other person. But to post them for everyone to see, because the screen shot is on paper you'll have to use the scanning capabilities of your cross-cut paper shredder.

Any relatively current shredder will have this capability; you just have to connect the shredder to your computer. Take a USB 2.0 serial cable, connect one end to the computer's USB port, and then stick the other end into the shredding slot. The exact position of where the cord needs to go in varies by manufacturer. If the cord shreds into the slot more than 6", it's not the correct position, so remove the cord and try again.

You will see a confirmation message on the computer screen once it's successfully connected, at which point you can insert your screen shot into the shredder for posting. To adjust contrast while scanning, throw in pieces of a black Crayola crayon while the screen shot is being scanned.

-Trench
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Streak

Post by Streak »

Cheese, check and see if you have Widget 3000 Service Pack II or III installed. If you don't have 3000 installed, see if you have the Framalamer plugged in on the Wharkathatch. That should be right next to the case hinge on the left side.

Might check and see if the hamster has enough water, too. . . .
fromage

Post by fromage »

ryeontherocks wrote:The pixelating might be due to moisture in the grapple grommet.. you need to contact hp and Microsoft immediately wait and talk to the service techs make sure you tell them its not microspooling with the inter log interface and the updates didn't help!!! of course i am not trench who is the tech wizzard...

Btw when waiting for the tech guys try holding the printer to the screen until they answer if you dont they might put u on hold.
Rye, phew, that GED education sure is fancy. I'm afraid you went over my head. You sound like you know what you're doing. I just spent 5 hours on a tech support line. It wasn't fixed but I got a great curry recipe out of it. I'll try holding the printer up to the screen to see what happens.
fromage

Post by fromage »

ryeontherocks wrote:a quick google search and here is a possible solution its called the Retro Encabulator device, which uses six hydrocoptic marzel vanes and an ambifacient lunar wane shaft to prevent unwanted side fumbling.

Here is a video explaining it all...
That just sounds rather expensive. I'm not trying to land it on the moon, I just want to print out my screenshots. I kindly thank you for your help though. Don't mind me...that 5 hour tech call got me all wound up...and rather gassy from the curry dish I made.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Trench wrote:
fromage wrote:My dot matrix printer won't print my DC screenshots correctly.
Don't know what to tell you. Just tested again now that we've applied the GameSpy update, and screen shots still print successfully on both my dot matrix and my daisy wheel. They print very clearly; these printed shots show exactly what my screen looks like during the game, depending on which printer I have connected:
ScreenShot10-dotmatrix.png
ScreenShot10-daisywheel.png
Now that I am running 1920x1080, I thought sure I might have to track down an updated daisy wheel to handle the additional resolution. But apparently those guys at Xerox were already thinking about WUXGA+ resolutions even back in 1983.

As for posting the printed screen shots here in the forum, you weren't far off, because holding them up to the screen is the right way if you're showing them to just one other person. But to post them for everyone to see, because the screen shot is on paper you'll have to use the scanning capabilities of your cross-cut paper shredder.

Any relatively current shredder will have this capability; you just have to connect the shredder to your computer. Take a USB 2.0 serial cable, connect one end to the computer's USB port, and then stick the other end into the shredding slot. The exact position of where the cord needs to go in varies by manufacturer. If the cord shreds into the slot more than 6", it's not the correct position, so remove the cord and try again.

You will see a confirmation message on the computer screen once it's successfully connected, at which point you can insert your screen shot into the shredder for posting. To adjust contrast while scanning, throw in pieces of a black Crayola crayon while the screen shot is being scanned.

-Trench
Well hot damn! Trench, you must be some kinda rocket scientist. I am jotting your instructions down here on my personal mobile device, the note pad. I may have to resharpen this pencil a few times but this looks like the real thing. I'm going to give it a try and post back up here tomorrow. Hold tight!
fromage

Post by fromage »

Streak, you scoundrel, you. I feel like you're pulling my leg during this rather serious and emotionally draining time.
Streak

Post by Streak »

Oh, but not at all. I've often found that, when faced with a seriously alarming situation such as this, sometimes the simplest of details are overlooked when attempting to deduce the actual cause of a problem like you're having.

I'd still go check that hamster's water, though . . . . . . 8-)
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

streak its the crayon that trench suggested....i know cheese is too cheap to spring for the Retro Encabulator device which is now made in china :o
fromage

Post by fromage »

Streak wrote:Oh, but not at all. I've often found that, when faced with a seriously alarming situation such as this, sometimes the simplest of details are overlooked when attempting to deduce the actual cause of a problem like you're having.

I'd still go check that hamster's water, though . . . . . . 8-)
Streak, pardon my jump to a hasty conclusion there. These are serious times and I thought you were yanking my leg. You are right about missing the obvious at times. On that note, I checked the case hinge and the hamster water and everything looks just right. Stumped.
fromage

Post by fromage »

fromage wrote: I'm going to give it a try and post back up here tomorrow. Hold tight!
TADA! Results.

Trench, I followed every step of your instructions. After going through 3 pencils and re-sharpening them about 18 times in total (it was hard getting the drawings to match the high quality detailed screenshots you posted), I sat down and went step by step according to your notes. The whole process took about 6 hours.

Here is the result I came up with (repeatable) and posted for your very astute technical review....

...am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure if you can make out the detail, but there's C4 on that flag! It's in plain site!
screen2.gif
Let me know if I need to adjust settings again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Yes. I was completely hammered when I posted that...
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Wow. Somewhere on the computer there has to be a Flock of Seagulls sticker!

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
fromage

Post by fromage »

Sarge 1/68th Armor wrote:Wow. Somewhere on the computer there has to be a Flock of Seagulls sticker!
You rang?