win 7

Need help?
sgt stokes
United States of America

win 7

Post by sgt stokes »

for some reason i cant get win 7 to run right. once i click on the server to run, the screen goes blank then it goes to desktop. wth am i doing wrong here?
WE SHOULD BELIEVE IN GOD, FAMILY, AND COUNTRY, ALL OTHERS WE HUNT DOWN.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: win 7

Post by Trench »

Since you indicated in PM that this issue happens no matter which server you attempt to connect to, I would assume that either the game installation became corrupted.

If you're on Windows 7, one thing I would be sure and try is to go into the properties of the shortcut you use to launch BF1942.EXE, and on the "Compatibility" tab select "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)" in addition to the "Run this program as an administrator" option. Usually "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" is recommended for this, but I have personally witnessed "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)" compatibility fixing crashes that "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" did not.

This is mentioned as optional step "B" in both the HOW TO: Use an Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server and the HOW TO: Use the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server documents.

But if you have already done that kind of stuff, and the issue simply started without having changed anything obvious, since it happens no matter which server you attempt to connect to, if it was my machine the next thing I would be doing is uninstalling Battlefield 1942 completely, and then re-installing it from scratch. You can use the same HOW TO: Use an Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server and HOW TO: Use the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server documents for doing that, too.

-Trench
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

well i can go on the server now but after a few minutes i loose spawn point. i put the server in my favorites so it is easier to get too. after i loose spawn points i will leave the server, when i go to log back on it is no longer in my favorites. i got all of the patches and updates including tanks pb update. i still dont understand what is going on.
Streak

Post by Streak »

This may be a stupid question, but are you running DC in a compatibility mode? WIN7 sometimes has issues with older software and refuses to play nicely with others from time to time. . . . FWIW, I'm running my BF/DC in WINXP SP2 compatibility mode and it seems to work OK. Still can't play for s4|+ but that's not the game's fault. . .

I've often thought we needed something like PunkBuster for the WINDOWS systems, so they would quit being disruptive. . . . . . .
sgt stokes
United States of America

Post by sgt stokes »

hey Streak, i am running in win xp service pack 3 compat mode, also running as admin. i have done everything i know of but this thing does not work right. i dont get it. i have all the patches and mods and tanks and gamespy patch. dont know what i am doing wrong.
Streak

Post by Streak »

Try XP SP2 mode. I can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall that mine wouldn't run in XP SP3 either, that's why I was in SP2.

Now, of course, if you've already tried it . . . :? well, I guess you're up the proverbial sewage waterway without a propulsion device. . . . :15: