bad lag on sat

Need help?
sgt stokes
United States of America

bad lag on sat

Post by sgt stokes »

moved to the new house in missouri so not in mississippi anymore, but we are having to use sat and i am having bad connect probs. my normal ping was very low, now i am running into the 600's. according to the sat company i have plenty of data to run whatever but i cant stay connected for more than a couple of minutes. wth over.
WE SHOULD BELIEVE IN GOD, FAMILY, AND COUNTRY, ALL OTHERS WE HUNT DOWN.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: bad lag on sat

Post by Trench »

Satellite is one of the highest-latency Internet connections possible. It sucks, since if you're even considering satellite, it probably means you're in an area where there aren't many other viable options.

It's not a matter of "data", but the satellite company is probably trying to reassure you that it's not a "capacity" problem, which is one of the only things they can assure you of. As with any action game, its "latency" that is the issue for Battlefield, which is what's reflected in the +600ms ping time. It's not the "amount" of data you're sending or receiving, like when you're trying to bring down a YouTube video or other big file, and the satellite company is confirming "isn't a problem." The satellite company likely knows there isn't any better latency that can be achieved over their service, and so they focus on "you have plenty of bandwidth".

It's possible to be in an area where DSL would have lower bandwidth (Mbit/s) than the satellite option. Meaning for example, maybe DSL in your area maxes out at 1.5Mbps, and satellite at least if offering you 3Mbps or similar. But DSL's latency (minimum possible ping time) would in all likelihood still be better than what satellite achieves. Meaning even if your ping over DSL is still "worse than it was before" based on your new location, it would probably still be better than the satellite ping time.

So if you have DSL as an option, I'd suggest trying it for at least a month and see if its better and/or something you could live with for the way you use the Internet. If satellite is the only option, yeah, latency is probably going to suck no matter what, even if the overall throughput isn't bad.

-Trench
sgt stokes
United States of America

Re: bad lag on sat

Post by sgt stokes »

thanks Trench, guess it will be a while before i am back on the server. been gone a while now and since i have sat there is no way i can play untill i can get dsl working.
WE SHOULD BELIEVE IN GOD, FAMILY, AND COUNTRY, ALL OTHERS WE HUNT DOWN.