PnkBstrB.exe driver failure (PnkBstrK.sys) ffab error

Need help?
fromage

PnkBstrB.exe driver failure (PnkBstrK.sys) ffab error

Post by fromage »

If you're getting PnkBstrB.exe errors and getting auto kicked (specifically this error message), then read on:
PunkBuster kicked player 'playername' (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrB.exe driver failure (PnkBstrK.sys) ffab

This is the method that "solved" it for me when nothing else worked. It'll still throw a PnkBstrB.exe loading error, but at least you won't get auto-kicked.

1) Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
2) Copy PnkBstrK.sys
3) Then go to ---> C:\Documents and Settings\yourcomputerusername\Application Data
4) Paste PnkBstrK.sys
5) Then, right click PnkBstrK.sys and set it to be read-only, and save. Restart DC or BF1942 and hopefully that fixed it for you.

If that doesn't work at first, do a complete uninstall of PB (removing every trace of PB files). Reboot. Then reinstall a fresh copy of PB, and then run the above method.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: PnkBstrB.exe driver failure (PnkBstrK.sys) ffab error

Post by ryeontherocks »

thanks for posting this..its much appreciated...if anyone else has feed back let us know!! ;)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Any ideas on what made it start? Been playing months / years without issue, so just curious if it was a change in anti-virus, etc.? For PnkBstrK.sys to be involved I assume you're still on Windows XP, and that it wasn't an XP to Windows 8.x upgrade or similar.

-Trench
fromage

Post by fromage »

The only thing I can recall was a system defrag maybe a few days before it happened. However, when it got worse, I reinstalled all of it (PB, DC, BF1942, patches, etc) and it still kept happening. I then thought it might've been the firewall, but that didn't seem to be the case as I ran it with the firewall off, and later in game mode. Hard to say if it was the anti-virus. I don't recall updating the program (though it does automatically get virus definition updates). But yeah, I run XP and haven't upgraded or changed anything else and never had that problem before.

During my search, I found a few threads with people experiencing the same issue with BF2, BF3, BF4 and other games. No solid reason as to the "why". Odd.