crashing on start up win 7..

Need help?
fluffy

crashing on start up win 7..

Post by fluffy »

I remember having to deal with this on my other pc...cant quite figure it out..Double click 1942 icon and a small black box pops up and then it goes right back to the desktop...If i remember correctly it has something to do with refresh rate or resolution...I cant figure it out...

Anyone have any pointers...?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: crashing on start up win 7..

Post by Trench »

Issue was that something about the video driver installation seemed to be refusing to accept any screen resolution. Whether we set ".\Battlefield 1942\mods\bf1942\settings\profiles\Custom\video.con" to 1920x1080, 800x600 or 640x480, the game would always fail with "invalid video mode specified."

The problem was, you couldn't actually /see/ the "invalid video mode specified" result unless you switched the game to run in a window, instead of running full screen. Only after changing the ".\Battlefield 1942\mods\bf1942\settings\VideoDefault.con" so that it had "renderer.setFullScreen 0" instead of "renderer.setFullScreen 1" did the failed game launch reveal why it was failing.

Current installed ATI driver was the one pushed from Microsoft using Windows Update. Installing most current driver available from ATI/AMD caused the video modes to start being accepted, and the game could launch successfully.

-Trench