Kicked - Restriction: Service Abnormality

Need help?
IrishLincoln

Kicked - Restriction: Service Abnormality

Post by IrishLincoln »

Okay, since the windows update BF will not load for me. I insert the CD and click and the game doesn't load.
So, I come here and see this post:
http://www.ea117dcfanfavorites.com/view ... =11&t=5587

So, I download the patch at that link and re-try the game. It works! The game starts and goes to the main menu and I click on EA117 Dc to go into game, then I hear the dreaded click and see this:

Kicked for 0 minutes- Restriction: Service Abnormaility.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Kicked - Restriction: Service Abnormality

Post by Trench »

Haven't heard of that ...yet. What version of Windows does this happen to be? Windows 7 SP1? Windows 8.1? Something else? I haven't let mine download the Windows Update yet, but if you're using the same version of Windows I am, maybe I will let it happen and see what breaks besides the CD check.

-Trench
IrishLincoln

Post by IrishLincoln »

Yup, I'm running Windows 7 SP1

Everything was fine until windows sent in that update last night (or the night before). The game wouldn't even load, but I used that patch posted in the link in my original post and the game started fine.
When I click on EA117 server the game loads like I am coming in to the map, then I'm on for a couple seconds and it clicks and I get that message. I have no idea.

*UPDATE* *UPDATE* *UPDATE*

The Cure:

Somehow Compatibility Mode got switched on. Not sure how that happened, but I found the cure.
Make sure that thing is off. After I switched it off I checked EA117 and I logged on just fine.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

IrishLincoln wrote:The Cure:

Somehow Compatibility Mode got switched on. Not sure how that happened, but I found the cure.
Make sure that thing is off. After I switched it off I checked EA117 and I logged on just fine.
You are referring to the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" option in the "Compatibility" tab of the properties for the shortcut you use to launch BF1942.EXE? Or some other "compatibility mode"?

I actually have seen a "service abnormality"-type outcome when I tried to run BF1942.EXE on Windows 10 x64 with "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" set to "Windows 98/Windows ME". I was attempting to do that because "Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5" is no longer available as a choice here in Windows 8.1 and later, and I wanted to see "what if I chose the next OLDEST platform" instead of using "Windows XP Service Pack 3".

But it's actually recommended that you DO set "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" to either "Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5" (if you are on Windows 7) or "Windows XP Service Pack 3" (if you are on Windows 8.1 or later). This actually mitigates some (but not all) of known BF1942.EXE crashes that can occur when loading a map for play.

Note you can also find this recommendation as part of the HOW TO: Use the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server and the HOW TO: Use an Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server documents available under the Desert Combat forum.

-Trench
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

pantyshield wrote:Had to reinstall BF yesterday and wanted to chime in on the PB kicks for Service Abnormality - Setting the shortcut to run BF in WinXP SP2 compatibility mode resolved it for me. It was at XP SP3....
Looks like pantyshield saw the issue even with XP SP3 set. Never heard of that before, but for what it's worth, in case backing off to XP SP2 helps anyone else.

-Trench