installing BF1942 - Administrator error

Need help?
defc0n

installing BF1942 - Administrator error

Post by defc0n »

Hey guys ,

Trying to install BF1942 onto my son's computer and I have an error popping up.

" please log in with administrator privileges and try again "

This is a hacked version of windows 7 ultimate - Service pack 1 installed - 2009

I have a hacked windows version on my own PC and don't have any issues.

I installed a complete series of BF1942 that includes " road to rome , and secret weapons of WW2 " , all original discs with the cd codes.

Can someone please guide me on what I should do.

He has an NVIDIA video card

Thanks for your help ~
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: installing BF1942 - Administrator error

Post by Trench »

That appears to be the symptom we expect to see because of the Microsoft update that disabled the SafeDisc DRM. You can fight with Windows and re-enable it (and re-enabled it again in the future, when they disable it again), or you can just use a No-CD modification of BF1942.EXE which inherently bypasses the SecDrv check anyway and so you'll no longer care if SafeDisc is enabled or not.

We actually recommend that you use a replacement BF1942.EXE anyway in the "HOW TO: Use the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server" document. Because in addition to including a No-CD fix, it fixes some of the BF1942.EXE crashes, gives better widescreen resolution support, and includes the change that allows the "Internet" servers list to work in-game after the GameSpy service shut down back in 2014.

So download and apply the "Battlefield 1942 GameSpy patch v1.61" installer ("Battlefield 1942 GameSpy patch v1.61.exe") linked to in step "7. Install the GameSpy master server shutdown fix" in the "HOW TO: Use the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server" document.

-Trench
defc0n

Post by defc0n »

Trench ,

Do you think it might have something to do with buying the triple pack CD series , battlefield 1942 , the road to rome , and the secret weapons disc?

Should I just purchase this online from Origins ?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

No reason I know of to think it's related to the complete series purchase. The base game is still the same regardless of how you chose to purchase / bundle the add-ons.

The game isn't available for purchase from Origin any more. If you /already/ bought it on Origin you can still download and install it from there, but there aren't any new purchases being offered.

As mentioned in game, there isn't any "required" resolution, particularly when you have used the updated BF1942.EXE which contains the GameSpy fix, widescreen fix, no-CD, etc. Whatever resolutions your video card supports will be shown in the in-game video menu, once you have this updated BF1942.EXE applied.

-Trench
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

defc0n wrote:I will uninstall and try one more time.

I was able to get passed the administration error, the next problem I ran into was during the launch of the game. I clicked on the Icon located on the desktop , the screen would go black like it was about to run , then it would go back to the desktop.

We are using a Nvidia Gforce GTX 760.

I tried changing the video display parameters in the BF1942 folder , when ever I tried to save it , I would get " access denied ".
Like everyone was mentioning in game last night, make sure you've adjusted the "Properties" on your desktop shortcut for starting Battlefield 1942 / Desert Combat to include the "Compatibility" tab changes to run as "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)" since you're on Windows 7, and also enabled the "Run this program as an administrator" option so that it always launches with elevated Windows rights.

This old game was designed for use on Windows 95/98, so it needs these adjustments to run "reasonably well" on the current Windows versions.

How to adjust the "Compatibility" tab settings is covered in item "B. Update Battlefield 1942 shortcut to launch BF1942.EXE using legacy Windows compatibility mode and 'Run as Administrator'" in the "HOW TO: Use the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server" document. If you are performing a complete re-install from the CD-ROM version, take the time to cover all of the points listed in that document.

-Trench
defc0n

Post by defc0n »

I appreciate all the information Trench. I will reinstall and give it another go around this week. My son is itching to play.

I actually got around the pop up window that I mentioned at the start of this thread.

The problem I am facing now is when the game is being launched.When I launch the game , the screen goes black making you think it's about to load , then it comes right back to the desktop.

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the launch parameters for the video card settings and the resolution size.

Any insight on that matter?

- Reza
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

trench we have here same problem that i used to have :P
Silent Assassin
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I don't know of some obvious or specific reason to get hung up right at that point, sorry.

One thing I do remember is to suggest changing the "renderer.setFullScreen 1" to "renderer.setFullScreen 0" in VideoDefault.con, so that the game tries to run in a window instead of full screen. Not that "as a window" will solve anything specific, but it's possible that now you'll be able to see an error message or dialog that you're not seeing when the game is attempting to launch full screen.

On Windows 10 a reason to get hung up at that point is because DirectPlay isn't installed by default on Windows 10, but that shouldn't affect your Windows 7 machine.

-Trench