Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Beer

Post by Nightstalker »

I was just gonna PM this to Itax but this seems to be a big topic at times in game with a few guys as I know some here are homebrewers like me. Aside from that I have to say there are some beers that are readily available and are a "year-round" beer that .. WOW ... liquid gold. Itax, RFA and whoever else enjoys a good beer .. this is that beer I was talking about but you have to like IPA's ... typically more bitter so some of you are NOT going to like this

http://www.terrapinbeer.com/beers/28-Hopsecutioner ..... YUM!!! a great hop bite
and this
http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/torpedo.html ... YUMMM!!!!! a little more balance (hops/malt) than the previous
My two faves that I have tried so far. The older I get the more I like the beer that has a good hop bite to it. Truth be told there are not many that I can say I dont like. Anyways I will be excited to see what yall are drinking now and/or what your faves are.

God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
RoLnRoCk
United States of America

Re: Beer

Post by RoLnRoCk »

San Diego has many many microbreweries, but the only local beers that are readily available throughout the country are stone (pale, ipa, arrogant bastard) http://www.stonebrew.com
and karl strauss (red trolley ale, endless summer wheat)http://www.karlstrauss.com/.

I am a huge fan of bear republic's racer 5 ipa, sierra nevada summertime ale, sam adams/paulaner octoberfest, guinness, and (of course) ROLLING ROCK! Tonight I had a mission brewing co's shipwrecked double ipa, it was pretty good. Two of my former roommates have been brewers, and I have helped in brewing large batches for mission brewing co, but never have really gotten into the homebrewing thing.

I love beer and will keep this thread going FOREVER haha.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Nice Rollin ... we can get Stoner here. I have had Arrogant Bastard before. It has been a while but best I remember it was pretty good. For a long time I was on a kick drinking Yazoo a local brewer that has gone national. They make one called Dos Perros (two dogs) and its a good beer. But as I said the older I get the more I like the hops and really getting into the high gravity beers ... Last night even though not high grav was Ft Collins Rocky Mountain IPA ... good stuff.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Itax
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Itax »

I've had the Sierra Nevada, methinks I've tried all of their beers. Quality stuff.
I shall make it a point to try the other.

Here is a link to one of the greatest named beers in the history of beer. I've never tried it but I've been meaning to.

The beer, He'brew

http://www.shmaltz.com/
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Hey guys ... We had a talk on TS and I sent a few of these pics to Whirly already as he wasnt sure what a porter was but figured I would post them here too. Whirly chewed my butt for letting some of the beer go over the glass when he saw the ale picture :lol: ... That Golden Ale was a foamy SOB ... Good stuff though

This is a porter ... Not as dark as the pic shows ... it is more translucent than a stout ... this is one of my favorite porters .. Good malt with a touch of coffee and chocolate

Then a golden ale ... very good beer just not as hoppy as I like now

those were the other night ... Tonight .. This is the Sierra Nevada I was talking about ... Torpedo ... A thing of beauty ... not the proper glass but hey ... it holds more than the pint glass I had ;)
You need to try this one if you can get it in your area and like hoppier beers .. Very well balanced beer but still has a good hop bite.
RoLnRoCk
United States of America

Post by RoLnRoCk »

tried this for the first time last night, gotta say its one of my new favorites. ballast point is a local brewery, and sculpin is a lighter ipa, almost tastes like a cross between a golden ale and an ipa, kind of creamy but still good and hoppy. try it if you get the chance!
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/29619

i've never heard of st. peter's beers, but i'll give them a try if i ever see them in a store!
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY

Murphys Irish Stout .. I think its like Fosters not really being from Australia ... I think its just an Irish recipe but either way its good lol

RoLnRoCk
United States of America

Post by RoLnRoCk »

gotta love murphy's stout. i've had massive amounts of jameson, bailey's, and guinness today....and now i'm gonna go play some late night BF.. apparently i'm not too drunk, as i'm not misspelling anything, but maybe that's because i'm concentrating on not misspelling anything. anyway.... HAPPY ST. PAT'S
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Fosters is OK .. I like my beer with more depth and a hop bite. Fosters is good when you put some Guiness over the top on a black and tan.

Rock ... I love me some Jameson. Big fan on the rocks. I forget what they call it Irish Car Bomb I think. But isn't that a shot baileys in a Guiness?????
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

RoLnRoCk wrote:gotta love murphy's stout. i've had massive amounts of jameson, bailey's, and guinness today....and now i'm gonna go play some late night BF.. apparently i'm not too drunk, as i'm not misspelling anything, but maybe that's because i'm concentrating on not misspelling anything. anyway.... HAPPY ST. PAT'S
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

LOL .... That would be MY kind of luck there.

I did some research on Murphys and Fosters .. .While both were born where we thought they were, Ireland and Australia both now are owned by Heineken and distributed out of Canada. (Thanks Colonel :D ) I dont know about Murphys but Fosters is also brewed up north NOT down south at least not the stuff us as Beav and Whirly would say ... Us "yanks" are drinkin here in the states. ;)
RoLnRoCk
United States of America

Post by RoLnRoCk »

Nightstalker wrote:Fosters is OK .. I like my beer with more depth and a hop bite. Fosters is good when you put some Guiness over the top on a black and tan.
Last time I checked, Fosters was Aussie piss (its like their milwaukee's best or natty light) and a black and tan had guinness and bass. a half and half is guinness and harp, and i've also had a black and sam (adams) which is pretty good. oh, and an eclipse is guinness and blue moon and a snakebite is guinness and pear cider. lotta combos.
Nightstalker wrote:Rock ... I love me some Jameson. Big fan on the rocks. I forget what they call it Irish Car Bomb I think. But isn't that a shot baileys in a Guiness?????
an irish carbomb is jameson & baileys shot dropped into a half pint of guinness and chugged as a shot. i like my jameson with coke or ginger, but bushmills irish whiskey on the rocks. to each their own.

oh and swanny, i don't even know what that means bro.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

You are correct on the black and tan Rock ... I forgot a word ... I meant to say Fosters is good when you put Guiness over the top LIKE on a black and tan. Now some have argued that a black and tan is any lager over a stout. But yes the traditional is Guiness over Bass
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Rock you will be proud .... Great beer .. sry for the Guiness pint glass .. .all I had that was clean

And then of course if you ask me it is hard to go wrong with one of these on occassion

And I dont have a picture of this but the other night I had ummm I dont know if it was the luxury or the unfortunate event but I was able to try Absinthe ..... Uhhhh one time only ... good lord ... Spec had the luxury of being on TS when I got on and that stuff was still working on me HAHAHHAHA sry Spec.
RoLnRoCk
United States of America

Post by RoLnRoCk »

nice! stone ipa is truly a great beer, and you can't go wrong with corona's (but i like pacifico and caguama better)

i still haven't tried absinthe, will get around to it one of these days, there is actually a bar a few blocks from my apartment that sells it, and sets up the sugar cube/spoon/flame/water stuff for ya.

just got back from portland, oregon... had some delicious black butte porter (my favorite porter), lompoc proletariat red, and the freshest widmer hefeweizen i've ever tasted (at the brewery). p-town is a good beer town.

one of my friends is a sommelier that teaches fine wine and scotch classes, so i have been drinking a ton of good vino lately. back to beer in a bit.
Ready-FIRE-Aim
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Ready-FIRE-Aim »

Yo Rock, Nighty & others,

I share your sentiments regarding Stone IPA. It was the lone bright spot on a recent trip to N. Florida that was marked by really dreadful local brews. I gave up on the local pulls and ordered the Stone in a bottle for some much needed relief.

You'd have to go to the upper Midwest to find it, but if you are a porter fan, lock ur lips around a Chief Blackhawk Porter outta the Tyranena Brewing Company in Lake Mills, WI. Not a big porter fan usually, I was way impressed last summer when I visited that craft brewery. Wish I could get it here in VA. Their Bitter Woman IPA is a pretty nice drop too. (Tho the missus did not appreciate the souvenir pair of sweat pants I brought home to her with "Bitter Woman" emblazoned across the bum!)

As for classes in Malt Whisky, I usually conduct one each evening in my living room........ :oops:
Semper Rugby

Life is better just a half a bubble off dead plumb.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I enjoy a scotch from time to time. Normally when my well off brother in law brings some. And he drinks Macallan .. title THE Macallan. I must say, that is some damn fine scotch LOLOL.

I had my first bottle bomb in my homebrew. And of all things it was a glass bottle which I was told glass would be just fine... WRONG!!!!!!!!!! ... and no I didnt put too much priming sugar in. Sucks it was my Yazoo growler. Not only that but all the beer ran down all of my hunting clothes :lol: :lol: :lol: ... had to laugh. I hope deer are attracted to malt, hops, wheat and fruit as it was a fruit hefe. :lol: :lol:

Now for the wine ... I too love me some wine from time to time. Reds only though. There are only select few whites that really wet my whistle. Just like beer I prefer the heavy bold flavors. Go big or go home right. My wife asked me to get her a bottle one day and I came back with this ... http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1032660 ..... needless to say that was not the night we concieved :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ready-FIRE-Aim
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Ready-FIRE-Aim »

Nightstalker wrote:I hope deer are attracted to malt, hops, wheat and fruit as it was a fruit hefe. :lol: :lol:
Well, I'm not so sure the deer will be attracted to malt and hops, but they sure as heck won't be alarmed by some guy that smells of fruit....... :lol:
Semper Rugby

Life is better just a half a bubble off dead plumb.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Hey Whirly .. I looked up that IPA you talked about and apparently it is light on the hops compared to the typical IPA. I have had that happen many times and I am generally disappointed as when I get an IPA I am hoping for a good amount of bitterness from the hops.

As you can tell there is a common theme when I get beer LOLOLOL .. RFA has already called me out on it. Sometimes the name does NOT describe the beer to well. This first one is really cool as 1 it is a local brew and the brewmaster has labeled it HopProject as he is not done with the brew yet. Each batch is defferent. The same malt profile but the hops are different everytime. So each beer will have a different smell and taste. Sometimes subtle and others its completely obvious the difference.

This one was pretty good but not as hoppy as I thought it was going to be .. Victory Hop Devil

These two are from one of my favorite breweries ... Terrapin which is who made the one in my first post.
HopKarma Brown Ale formally known as India Brown Ale ... Good beer

And Rye Pale Ale the one that started it all for Terrapin
Image .. this one I wasnt crazy about at first but then I tried it again and liked it more and more
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

I'm glad I have a life...lol

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Me too ... in fact it probably took me as long to capture and post those pics as it did for you to come up with yet another well thought out smartass comment to something else I say.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

:o :D

With Great Speed
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Patron, enough said. When I drink this it reminds me of a famous quote from Gen. Patton. It started with Those God damn.......and ended with fucking bastards, I just can't remember the good stuff in the middle. :o

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Just for you RFA!!!!!!!

Finally got to try it and luckily for me I have 5 more in the fridge 8-)
Bells Two Hearted Ale .... the hops definately produced a grapefruit citrus bite to this brew

And this is another that I picked up as you can not get it here in TN

Founders Centennial IPA ... A VERY balance beer

5 more of those too LOLOL and I scored a growler of Yazoo Hop Project which of course is me doing my duty of supporting the local brewery :D :D :D
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

PATRON...PATORN...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON....PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PARTON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...PATRON...

Don't make me do that again :lol:

With Great Speed