Gun Thread: Anyone have any real weapons?

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Gun Thread: Anyone have any real weapons?

Post by OddJob2021 »

Hey all,

Curious if anyone has any real firearms or has a concealed carry. I currently own 3 firearms for 3 specific purposes. I am looking to get a fourth, to fill a final role, but more on that later. I love to modify anything I own, ever since I was young. All my cars have been modified and why should it stop with the other guy toy, weapons.
I have a Beretta PX-4 Storm in 9mm, which is my carry for now until I get a subcompact or small revolver. This was my first ever weapon and was my protection/home defense until I took it up a notch. I modified it with a laser that has it's own picatinny rail for mounting a flashlight or other device below, and I also purchased a stainless guide-rod/spring, to replace the flimsy plastic one. The laser blinks very rapidly instead of being a constant beam. This not only increases time on target (flashing light draws the eye more than a solid) but preserves battery life.

The second gun I got needed more range, but I also didn't want a heavy kick or strange high powered caliber. I decided on the .308 (7.62x51) and got to searching. I ended up choosing the AR platform for its modify nature and it's reliability/long standing brand/model. I decided against semi-auto for numerous reasons and chose the AR-30. What a machine, stock free-floating barrel, even came with a muzzle-brake. Anyway I modded it like crazy! I bought an adapter to turn a normal sling mount into a picatinny rail to fit a bi-pod. I removed the buttstock and bought a CNC'd adapter to allow an A-2 buffer tube. Screwed one of those on and Boom, any buttstock on the market really! I chose the Magpul PRS for its adjustable length of pull and adjustable cheek-piece. My next mod was to the trigger, brought it right above 2.5lbs. Finally, I added a Accushot monopod to give the weapon complete control. The monopod can twist (screw) up and down to account for elevation (distance), but it also has a 'quick-switch' to allow it to move all the way up or down quickly, or put it away. My final mod to the weapon was to change the bolt knob. It was a tiny ball, it looked puny compared to the rest of it. I got a custom job and the guy threw in the flash-hider for my scope because we got to talking about guns. Turns out he had an SWFA scope but it got crushed (long story) but the flash-hider was off so he saved it, picked it up for an extra $5 (actually why I started the thread, I was replying to Nightstalker on a slightly different topic). Ahh, for the scope. It's a beauty of some glass. SWFA Super Sniper 20x42mm, so it's a fixed zoom. Mill-dot, and atm it's zero'd at 200 yards. Reason for that is ease of calculation for distance shots.

Here is what it looked like with only the scope and bipod:

The last weapon I got was an upgrade to home defense, a shotgun. The reason this is the best home defense weapon is because if there is a break-in, you don't even need to pull the trigger 90% of the time. Reason? The sound of racking a round in the chamber has become a staple as, '..this guy means business.' It is an iconic sound that will scare away 90% of intruders. They(most) don't want to fight, they want an easy steal while you're asleep/away. This is the main reason a shotgun is best, another is the ease of access to LTL (less than lethal) rounds like a beanbag. My first round is a beanbag round that has a tail to stabilize it (little more pricy, lol), second and so-on is of course, lethal, 000buck. I own a Mossburg 500 Crusier. I modified it with a pistol grip, collapsible stock and a flash suppressor/breacher, it also has an extended tube (more shells).

Here is my case (made the cutouts myself, you can see the mod progression lol):

Lastly the 'hole' in my defense. Something that's semiauto, a rifle/smg type thing right? Well what I'm looking at is called the Kriss Vector. Some may know it from COD where it was dubbed 'Vector.' Others may know it through online. It is a revolutionary design to semi-auto/auto recoil reducing, less muzzle lift ownage. It basically uses the round's rearward force to push the gun down, instead of back at you. Here's a link, but not much explanation, maybe our resident engineer, toolmantim, will enlighten us to the mechanics at play, unless it's really that simple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KRISS_Vector
So this is what I plan to be my next weapon, once I can build enough funds. In .45. I can't wait to see if this platform called, Super-V, becomes truly revolutionary and can change the world of conventional ballistics. If so it will be available in all sorts of rounds and could be epic.

/rant
Last edited by OddJob2021 on July 31st, 2012, 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Re: Gun Thread: Anyone have any real weapons?

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

SHWEEEEN!!

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I sold all of mine after joining the Air Force when I realized we airmen are suppose to be scared of guns ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Nightstalker wrote:I sold all of mine after joining the Air Force when I realized we airmen are suppose to be scared of guns ;)
What did you own?
C'mon Son
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by C'mon Son »

LUV your collection !!!!! :) I'll have to take pictures of mine and post them.
"Now you're messin' with A son of a bi*ch" Nazareth-Hair of the Dog
TDogFresh
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by TDogFresh »

Im picking up two guns this year
First on my list is gona be my sexy baby Ak47 which i'll have by september.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1103.aspx

My second on my list is a Glock 20 10mm for that extra stopping power, will have this one in November on my Birthday, a present to myself 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TDF Is2I TGBU PTPM MLP YOLO ~~ T DOG FRESH
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Badass Mike! I have yet to shoot a 10mil. I want one too just have yet to find the right platform (the real reason is I'm spending enough money as it is LOL).
BoOn
Canada

Post by BoOn »

OddJob2021 wrote: (the real reason is I'm spending enough money as it is LOL).
Best Pimp out Sarge on the weekends too than :D , Between this thread and your BMW one , Im starting to think your kinda in the "Transporter" business lol :o
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

BoOn wrote:
OddJob2021 wrote: (the real reason is I'm spending enough money as it is LOL).
Best Pimp out Sarge on the weekends too than :D , Between this thread and your BMW one , Im starting to think your kinda in the "Transporter" business lol :o
lolol, I wish!! Man If I were that badass I wouldn't be playing BF3 lol, I'd be making millions assassinating black market targets.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

C'mon Son wrote:LUV your collection !!!!! :) I'll have to take pictures of mine and post them.
Almost missed your reply.. Thanks, and I look forward to your collection! Hope this thread is a hit.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

TOG | Whirly wrote:I currently own a ruger m77 hawkeye mk2 light in 7mm08 magnum,a ruger 10/.22 10 shot semi for rabbit,geese, possums (sorry oldboi)and mostly anything i feel like shooting.and a stoeger m200 semi auto shotgun for duck season and general shooting at anything once again
Nice collection you got there Whirly, any pics? I'd love to see that 7mil Mag.
Tuck

Post by Tuck »

snake%20004.jpg
I help a buddy of mine do camo dipping on guns and what not..this is one we did
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ya..I'm an old fart
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Tuck wrote: I help a buddy of mine do camo dipping on guns and what not..this is one we did
Wow dude that's badass. It looks like real snakeskin. Not my style though personally but I know of the market. What does the process involve? How do you get the texture/colors through dipping?
TDogFresh
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by TDogFresh »

Tuck wrote: I help a buddy of mine do camo dipping on guns and what not..this is one we did
Thats crazy cool, insane man. 8-)
TDF Is2I TGBU PTPM MLP YOLO ~~ T DOG FRESH
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

^Beauty right there dude. A lot of appreciation for the wood, or is it synthetic? I can't zoom. What make/brand is the scope? What power? Must kick like a mule.
Tuck

Post by Tuck »

the camo dip, or hydrograghics, you have to strip the item down, paint it with a water based paint, then a film is placed on the top of water in a large tub, it is sprayed with and emulcifier, and then the whole part is lowered into the tank where the film is, then after it is rinsed and dryed it gets a clear coat. I even had my guitar done.
MY Guitar.jpg
Ya..I'm an old fart
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Another question. (Sry for hijack but this is important) .. .Did you build that guitar? Very nice either way.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Tuck

Post by Tuck »

it is actually a 1976 Ibenez SG copy. I had to strip it down and reset the neck,so I decised to dip it while it was apart anyway. its better in person because we put pearl in the clear, so the blue turns to Purple when the light hits it right
Ya..I'm an old fart
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Can't you also just drip or float the oil base on the water, then dip?

With Great Speed
TG_jneagu

Post by TG_jneagu »

Tuck wrote:the camo dip, or hydrograghics, you have to strip the item down, paint it with a water based paint, then a film is placed on the top of water in a large tub, it is sprayed with and emulcifier, and then the whole part is lowered into the tank where the film is, then after it is rinsed and dryed it gets a clear coat. I even had my guitar done.
MY Guitar.jpg
Holy shit! dont tell me you play that in public.
TwiTch
United States of America

Post by TwiTch »

Sorry no pictures but We gots a 30-06 rifle, .243 rifle, .12Gauge, .20 gauge. I love the .20 gauge its a single shotter. I only want one more gun and it would be a .45 colt revolver.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

TwiTch wrote:Sorry no pictures but We gots a 30-06 rifle, .243 rifle, .12Gauge, .20 gauge. I love the .20 gauge its a single shotter. I only want one more gun and it would be a .45 colt revolver.
Nice collection. You can't take new pics today/soon? For reference the shotgun calibers don't have a period, the number and the word 'Gauge' tells you the size. The reason pistol/rifle calibers have a period is because they are actually measured as a size. A .308 or .300 Win Mag are .308 and .300 of an inch, respectively. A .50 (12.7mm) is half an inch. a .45 is .45 of an inch. Then you have 9mm/10mm/7mm Mag, which is exactly what size they are. The only place it gets strange is the hyphens like the 30-06 you listed, because a 45-70 as a comparison has the larger bullet mass (30 cal vs 45) but the 06 compared to 70? The charge/casing is not that drastically different.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

A nine inch wombat that comes out a night.

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Litle info there Oddjob. Yes and no in the case for shotguns. .410 is a shotgun caliber but correct when referring to the gauge. 30-06 is a 30 caliber that was desinged in 1906 hence the -06 ;)

45/70 was made when blackpowder was the propellent of choice and it was a 45 caliber with 70 grain of powder. (now it uses smokeless powder). Another example is the 30-40 Krag. The 45/70 ended up being stretch out into a 45/120 which if I remember correctly was the gun in Quigly Down Under. A Sharps rifle.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Nightstalker wrote:Little info there Oddjob. Yes and no in the case for shotguns. .410 is a shotgun caliber but correct when referring to the gauge. 30/06 is a 30 caliber that was designed in 1906 hence the -06 ;)

45/70 was made when blackpowder was the propellent of choice and it was a 45 caliber with 70 grain of powder. (now it uses smokeless powder). Another example is the 30-40 Krag. The 45/70 ended up being stretch out into a 45/120 which if I remember correctly was the gun in Quigly Down Under. A Sharps rifle.
Certainly some nice info there NS, I love adding tidbits like that to my gun knowledge. I heard through the grapevine you have a few firearms yourself. If you don't feel like sharing it's no big deal but I'd like to see what everyone has.