to all whom may or may not care -- from the heart

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

watapus

to all whom may or may not care -- from the heart

Post by watapus »

So a comment someone made yesterday made me open my eyes to something I had not taken into any sort of consideration or even thought... they told me "hey wata... you are creeping up on 2000! hours of gametime, i think you have a problem.. it's time for intervention" and at first I didnt think much of it, infact i thought it was just one of those comments when you see something you know you wont attain. but the more i thought about it the more it came clear to me that that this person said was actually correct, someone calculated the amount of time I have played compared to the release of BF3.. they told me since the game had been released i've averaged something like 4 hours a day.... to me guys that's just pathetic, sad and im disgusted I let myself get to this point, furthermore the sad reality of the situation is that I actually have put in WAY MORE time then this per day. If you look at when my account was created you will see that this one is from may of last year and on rather then on release, so that would mean that the 2000 hours were crammed in the span of 10-11 months... Now do you see the scope of the problem?... I feel like I've been totally consumed by this game and I don't see a way out. I wake up and immediatly think, "I wonder who is online, or who can i play bf3 today" You guys have made me feel welcome and like at home which is hard to say when you are 2500 miles away from your closest relative.. This game is like a drug to me and I have shamed myself so much that it's difficult to stay in TS with you guys anymore knowing what I have done and am doing everday.

I'm completely addicted to video games and I need help. Maybe you guys are not the right kind of help but attleast I can try to move forward and repair this massive error on my part.

In a month or so I will be moving back to Canada, Until I am able to move I will cut back drastically on my computer time, and as a result you will see me less and less. To all of you who have been my friends, you are still my friend, however clearly this lifestyle I have can not be allowed to continue. My goal will be to have cut back 100% by the time I reach Canada so that I may start a new, get a REAL job and actually live my life. If I feel like this problem is something I can't grab a hold of I'm going to be enroll myself to the local rehab facility back home...

Julian thank you for being blunt. If I damaged my relationship with any of you I'm sorry.

-Alex
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: to all whom may or may not care -- from the heart

Post by Nightstalker »

Hey bud, I do not know you that well but good on ya for one recognizing within yourself that it could be a problem and two for being humble enough to take a comment that could be considered negative and turning it into something positive.

I will tell you from a personal standpoint it is the hardest thing to do when you hear something from someone you care about that you may have a problem. I was told once that I was drinking way too much. Now obviously I did not quit (go see the beer thread) but I realized that if I was to continue on the path I was on, I was going to be an alcoholic. Not to mention a hypocrite for the things I had said about my neighbor and some family members. Neither of those I wanted to be considered nor look in the mirror and feel like were actually true.

I believe things like games, beer, etc etc are great when in moderation. If they are taking over or effecting the more important things in life ESPECIALLY yours and those you love, then its probably time to quit.

Again, good on ya and no shame. ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
billythekid1
New Zealand

Post by billythekid1 »

God damn that's a lot of hours but I her ya buddy. We all get short with each other every now and again but real men get over it and make up ( shut it sarge). good on Ya for realizing you may have an issue and if it is affecting your real life it's an issue. If it however does not affect life relationships etc its a hobby but there is a fine line. If ya ever need to vent buddy feel free to drop me a pvt message your more than welcome.

Cya on the battle field every now and again when your on just don't let it affect work/ family or friendships. And fuck boy get some sun hahahaha jokes
mikeyteh
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by mikeyteh »

I've missed talking and gaming with you, Wata, but your life and well being certainly come first. Just as I'm preparing for my triumphant return next week, I learn that I won't enjoy your company in game. Hopefully we can still chat on TS and the like, but I understand and support you making a worthwhile life decision. Give my best to your wife as well. I hope this isn't goodbye and more of a see you later.
billythekid1
New Zealand

Post by billythekid1 »

I loved what you said about the rehab bit..

Just cause this isn't an addictive illegal drug does not mean you cannot get addicted to it.. I wish you and ya lovely wife all the best bro pop in from time to time and shoot the breeze, I know im not alone here in saying you will be missed and you are a laugh to be around. so take care and god speed brother..

Family friends and real life are more important than anything on the planet apart from your own self. its not selfish to look after number one first so never feel your doing the wrong thing by others...
Golden3ye

Post by Golden3ye »

dang alex,

That is pretty deep. I admire your ability to look inside yourself and realize what you love is bad for you. It sounds like you are going to do the right thing. I love playing with you dude, big time, and am going to hate not playing with you. But if you cant game in moderation I am glad you are going to cut it out of your life. Hope that I still see you around.

Also, if you somehow were offended when I calculated your avg hours per day played thinking I was somehow making fun of you I assure you I wasn't.
TDogFresh
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by TDogFresh »

We Love You Alex!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TDogFresh on April 26th, 2013, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDF Is2I TGBU PTPM MLP YOLO ~~ T DOG FRESH
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

Holy Moly... I see the problem, and I understand your reasons. There have been times where I had the same problem, and I had to cut back. It dosen't mean that you can't play anymore, you just have to ally yourself with someone who can help keep your discipline. As NS said, everything in moderation. I took a complete break from gaming for several months, and then returned "ON A SCHEDULE". My girlffriend is fine with me playing games, and she helps me to keep a healthy gaming schedule.

We can moderate it as I please, and I get a certain amount of hours to play every week. Either I can save it up, and use say.. 3-5 hours in the weekend. Or I can spread it out using, an hour a day. It works perfect for me. I get time to unwind, play some games- Without it being too much.

Game addiction is just as real as any other addicition, and if not handled it can really get out of hand. I think it's cool of you to realize your problem, face it and take action. Important for you to do what is right for you, and in this community... you won't loose any friends over it. (TRUST ME!).

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you get everything sorted. I also hope we see you back again, maybe under more strict circumstances. ;)

Take care and Cya ;)

-opie
! --- T E A M W O R K - M A K E S - M E - H O R N Y -- !
~~~ A Good Soldier Obeys Without Question, A Good Officer Commands Without Doubt! ~~~
watapus

Post by watapus »

mikeyteh wrote:I've missed talking and gaming with you, Wata, but your life and well being certainly come first. Just as I'm preparing for my triumphant return next week, I learn that I won't enjoy your company in game. Hopefully we can still chat on TS and the like, but I understand and support you making a worthwhile life decision. Give my best to your wife as well. I hope this isn't goodbye and more of a see you later.

Exceptions can be made for the legendary Mikeyteh :P