food court...what have you enjoyed lately?

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

food court...what have you enjoyed lately?

Post by ryeontherocks »

anyone make an amazing dish? taste a delicious wine? or desert and what to share?' or just a healthy new alternative.

Things that i make are
prosciutto
fresh pasta in most forms
gnocchi
veal cutlet
and many many more
i will get more info if anyone is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJgG10g5NE
keep in mind you can only make it during a certain time of year
fromage

Re: food court...what have you enjoyed lately?

Post by fromage »

I'll take all of the above. Didn't know you were quite the culinary sluttsman. :D

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I just cooked some bacon wrapped duck tonight. Was amazing.

I am not sure I could handle waiting a year to try that ham. I would have to smoke it instead, it would only take a day ;) lolol
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

actually it takes atleast 8 months from january or feb you cant do it now anyway! its a tradition ...i used to help my dad when i was a kid making this and wine etc....i guess its my way of remembering him.

We have alot of food traditions ie: when we make tomato sauce we start with fresh tomatoes from the farm and jar them...or when we make gnocchi its 20 -30 pounds so we just freeze the remainder...

cheese was asking about how to make it..so i posted the best description i could find, keep in mind stuff like prociutto is rather rich and you can only eat small amounts so its better that it takes time lmao!!

btw night if you have a smoked meat trick thats ez please share...personally i am not into duck but hey i will try anything thats not liver.
A FLYING COW
Canada

Post by A FLYING COW »

Someone is Italian!

I'm not sure if its what you're looking for. But around Christmas my Grandma makes a "wifesaver".
It's basically a lazy breakfast lasagna/casserole that you make the night before. Basically: bread on bottom, eggs, ham, cheese (and whatever else you like). Crushed cornflakes on top to add some crunch and baby you got a deelish breakfast.

Simpler stuff I like to make,

Chicken Stew/pie: basically this recipehttp://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/clas ... 18AgPlWprU but then I put it in little pastries (as an appetizer), or you could put it in a big pie for a chicken pot pie.

Teryiaki Chicken:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Teriyaki-Chicken/
Based off of this recipe. Replaced it with 50/50 brown/white sugar. Added 1/2 of a freshly squeezed lemon for some tang. I have it with some jasmine rice. So . Good.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Awe man, Rye to be honest I am jealous of what you talk about. One for the patience and two for the know how. As for my smoking, there is no trick bud, my smoker is rather ... well ... cheap. My wife bitches at me when I tell people about it. It is nothing more than cinder blocks. 36 to be exact. 6 per layer and 6 layers high. I will send a pic some time. All blocked are stacked like you would a wall except for one on the bottom layer. It is turned with the holes sideways. Then I dug a pit in front of the hole, pack it with wood let it get some good coals going, cover it with an old grill top that happen to work PERFECT which helps channel the heat/smoke to the actual smoker. The top right now is just a piece of 3/4" plywood. I am planning on making a much more efficient top as I lose alot of heat right now. I normally smoke chickens in one of those aluminum roasting pans. PLenty of olive oil and what ever seasoning you prefer. I spice mine up pretty good. I also load the pan up with some fruit/veggies of some sort (apples, oranges, pineapple, onions, garlic etc etc basically whatever is around at the time) along with some apple juice and cheap beer (about an inch in the pan) to keep as much moisture near the chickens as I can. Usually they cook for NO LESS than 4 hrs at 275'ish. Covered for the last 1-2 hours depending on how they look. (browning) Boston butts I really do not have a certain time as it can depend on the cut itself. For that I have one of these http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/482 ... meter.html ... It's a life saver. Allows you to KNOW the meat temp without opening the smoker. I dry rub the butts and let them rest for a minimum of 1 hr if not over night. Sometimes I finish them in the smoker. Other times I will let them smoke for hours 4+ and then finish them wrapped in foil in the oven. If I finish them in the smoker I still wrap them in foil and then use whatever wood I want as it is just for the heat, not the flavor. I am a hickory, oak, mesquite fan. Its what I have and get easily.

Funny thing in this picture I did not season the birds at all. Just smoke... they turned out amazing.
IMG_20140223_175533_672.jpg
Again I do not have anything as cool nor time consuming as what you are talking about Rye. If you were close though I would be more than happy to supply you with a bunch of tomatoes. I just planted my garden the other night. I will get some pics up of that too later on. As long as we make it though the night. Some UGLY storms headed this way.

Oh and as for the duck, soak in Italian dressing, (your welcome) :39: butterfly, put in some cream cheese and some pickled jalapenos, wrap with bacon and tie or toothpick. Grill till medium/medium rare. Duck is VERY lean so do not cook long or it will be dry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

now thats what i am talking about!! thanks guys i am gonna try some of these!!
(well i didn't get uhhhmmm 20 pounds over weight for eating at the salad bar lol)

if you want something that is amazing and ez try cooked penne adding sauce in aluminum foil pan and adding hardboiled eggs and a little meat layered with parmigiana cheese...and rebaking for 15 - 20 minutes it makes my brothers kids drool...

i will get pics for you guys if you want but i have been eating rather plain lately...not really by choice...:roll:
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I eat BBQ sometimes.

Often, I'll start with a delicate appetizer.

Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

You may have to start flying the A6 Intruder. It has a bench seat. :o

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

when i die i want to be a cat in my next life...they eat and live like i kings, but in the mean time i am stuck with regular food....btw are you implying that you eat cat food?
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I'm not much of a cook. I will occasionally fry up some tilapia or do something asian with chicken and rice. Perhaps chop up some romaine for a caesar salad. I absolutely love a variety of asian foods, althought I seldom cook anything very complicated. I love eating almost anything with chicken and rice and some type of sauce. Kung Pao Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Kaprow, etc...

Otherwise, I'm pretty regular with my bachelor fare. Pizza, boneless wings, fries, cereal, etc...you know, the stuff that you might get made fun of, but in actual fact, makes me feel like a king. :)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

You forgot Raman or Cup-O-Noodles

Rye, I made something tonight. Take a glass, throw a few cubes of ice in it. Open a bottle of Jack Daniels. Pour half a glass worth of Jack and then top off with Coke.

We did make a standing rib roast/prime rib at my BIL house. Pre-heat oven to 450 or 500 if your oven will go that high. Coat entire roast in olive oil. Poke a bunch of holes with a knife and insert chucks/cloves of garlic. Season with sea salt pepper and whatever else you prefer. Rosemary, crushed red pepper, paprika, etc etc. Put on a roasting rack on a big pan. Cook for 15 minutes at 450 (500) then turn down to 325 for another 2 hrs with a 10lb roast. That should me medium/medium rare. .... Enjoy.

Oh this would be another thing that the thermometer I mentioned on the other post comes in VERY handy. When the meat reaches 125 it will be medium rare. Which reminds me of something I should have said in the other post. As will all meats cooked slow. LET THEM REST after you pull them off the heat source. My Boston butts I will let rest in a cooler for an hour. The prime rib we normally let set for 15-20 minutes. Lets all the juices settle down and keep the meat juicy. ;)
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Nightstalker wrote:You forgot Raman or Cup-O-Noodles
Beef ramen, yes. Prepared gourmet style.
Derick Vinyard
United States of America

Post by Derick Vinyard »

Hav3n wrote: Otherwise, I'm pretty regular with my bachelor fare. Pizza, boneless wings, fries, cereal, etc...you know, the stuff that you might get made fun of, but in actual fact, makes me feel like a king. :)

One of my fav quick fish meals:
1. Cut fresh fish filet (I usually stick w/Halibut or Mahi Mahi) into strips roughly the size of two fingers
2. Roll in raw egg until dripping
3. Roll in coconut flour
4. Fry in coconut oil until golden brown

For a hearty breakfast I make a sweet potato hash that goes something like this:
1 sweet potato shredded (use the grating attachment on my food processor)
4 pieces of bacon (thick butcher bought) cut into approx. 1 x 1" squares
~12 quartered brussel sprouts
4 eggs

1. Cook bacon until ~ 70% done (should be a good amount of lard at that point) and reduce heat to med
2. Dump b-sprouts onto bacon and cook for 2-3 mins then mixing up the pan and continue to cook for 2-3 more mins. I lightly dust w/ground pepper @ this point.
3. Dump shredded sweet pot onto bacon b-sprouts and let cook for a couple of mins then mixing up the pan and continue to cook for 2-3 more mins. I repeat this until the sweet pots have lost most of their size/cooked through
4. Raise temp to high and fry until the sweet pots start browning (stirring every min or so)
5. Once ~1/2 the sweet pots are brown/crispy I reduce the heat to med crack the eggs over and let cook until the eggs are done but still runny yokes (cause that how I roll).
6. Serve with fresh avocado

Serves 2.5 or 1 fatty.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Hell yea, that is duck blind food for me. I do the same thing just with regular potatoes, sausage, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms,eggs and a cayenne pepper. That is some of that good ol' stick to your ribs kind of food. :)
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

this isnt a wifesafer..cow ;) and it doesnt stick to my ribs but its my version of comfort food..tonight i couldn't resist
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ryeontherocks on May 1st, 2014, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
fromage

Post by fromage »

ryeontherocks wrote:this isnt a wifesafer..cow ;) and it doesnt stick to my ribs but its my version of comfort food..tonight i couldn't resist
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Derick Vinyard wrote: One of my fav quick fish meals:
1. Cut fresh fish filet (I usually stick w/Halibut or Mahi Mahi) into strips roughly the size of two fingers
2. Roll in raw egg until dripping
3. Roll in coconut flour
4. Fry in coconut oil until golden brown
Why don't you tell people about your salmon attempts?!?!

Derick Vinyard
United States of America

Post by Derick Vinyard »

A FLYING COW
Canada

Post by A FLYING COW »

OH MY DAYUM.
Where'd you get that. WHERE>!
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

see this is why we can't have nice things ;)
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

</animated_gif_pissing_match> (for now..bwahahaha)

Also - I don't take pictures of food I make much (if ever) but I did snap this shot.

Chicken fried with green onions, sesame seeds, sesame oil, garlic powder, and salt. Served with short grain white rice.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

sad....really sad that this is happening
phpBB [video]
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I would say the TV and well .. games :o :? are just as bad as the sugar they speak of Rye. They have become electronic baby sitters. So you combine couch potatoes with sugary food ... what do you expect. Not to mention most people nowadays are in such a rush because both parents are working when they get home alot of meals are cooked from a box. I told my wife that I dont care what it is, even if it is following Rachel Rays 30 minute meals ... try NOT to get prepackaged food. I am not one of those that buys into all the fear mongering that happens alot today but I do try to keep the food we eat as "whole" as possible. Regardless of what any video says, you can not blame any food establishment for making people fat. I am not a fan of McDonalds but never once have I seen them force any of these people to go in an get a double quarter pounder SUPER sized with a DIET drink non the less LOLOL.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

oh i agree completely, but i will tell you one thing. when i go to Italy people just are not fat there and they eat well..the processed stuff there is better. I bought a sandwich at the beach just something as a ty over and it was food prepared by the owner...not crappy low grade stuff with an ingredient list the size of Montana and only a chemist really knows for sure. Just saying