food court...what have you enjoyed lately?

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Re: food court...what have you enjoyed lately?

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Mayberwe deould hand this thread over to the EA women for their yummy recipes. ?...oh wait a minute....

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Sarge, its never seizes to amaze me how people misinterpret what you say and do, so i will start another thread on the proper educate on how to scratch your private parts while drinking beer and eating nachos. But in the mean time sarge, if you took more of an interest in what you eat, their might be a chance you wouldn't be so constipated and cranky!

on track with the tread: doesn't everyone say "it tastes like chicken"?? well i bought chicken at burger king today that tasted like fish....what the hell?? sigh
fromage

Post by fromage »

ryeontherocks wrote:Sarge, its never seizes to amaze me how people misinterpret what you say and do, so i will start another thread on the proper educate on how to scratch your private parts while drinking beer and eating nachos. But in the mean time sarge, if you took more of an interest in what you eat, their might be a chance you wouldn't be so constipated and cranky!
L O L
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Lol Rye. (Pm to follow)

Ok, here is the winner.
Open box and remove gourmet BBQ Pork and Rice packet.
Remove deluxe warming outer sleeve and fill with bottle (canteen) water to black line.
Insert said gourmet food packet, fold over warming pouch and replace entire assembly back into cardboard delivery system.
Place portable warming system in lower BDU pocket (right or left thigh, chefs choice).
When thigh gets hot, remove disposable microwave, removed Gourmet meal, tear off along dotted line.
Eat with plastic fork. If using bayonet use care and "do not" utensil clean.

Meal can be served up to twenty years shelf life.
Thank You
Sarge aka Ratatouille King :P

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Sugars can certainly be habit forming. I think as our buying power and wealth has increased, it has made it even more and more accessible....to the point that "poor" people can easily consume huge quantities of high sugar and high fat foods. In fact, sometimes the worst foods are the cheapest for getting something quick. (which brings laziness into the equation)

I do agree with Night that the surge of electronics (from the advent of cable TV to our current deluge of smart phone social apps and games) has really contributed to a huge swing toward a sedentary lifestyle.

We basically are in an era where in western economies, we just aren't involved in labor much any more. I've often thought about how odd it is that given our current types of economic productivity, we actually build entire buildings and install hundreds of machines so that before and after this work, we can go and work our bodies out.

I suppose the question I'd pose to the premise of the documentary trailer is why other advanced economies don't exhibit the same percentages of obesity that the USA does. They have the same access to sugary foods and drinks...so it's not like the "sugar industry" (whatever the hell made up boogey man that is) is taking over the world.

It's cultural perhaps. I dunno.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

LOLOL .. this thread is too funny. Rye is on a roll. And Sarge, did that come with the jalapeno cheese or the peanut butter??? Oh and the complementary little bottle of Tabasco:)

All I know is I CAN NOT WAIT!!!! for some toast, thick cut bacon, lettuce (from my garden), tomatoes (FROM MY GARDEN :D ) and some mayo ... BLT's!!!!!!!!!!

I would say Haven is right, culture has alot to do with it. I do not know if the rest of the world is living in such a rushed lifestyle as it seems we are here in the US, but it seems everything was supposed to be done yesterday. Many people are bringing work home because they are behind, so where is the time to cook a decent meal. On top of that, and I am not saying a woman's place is in the kitchen, but most women are out on the job force now. We have a ton of single parent families, dead beat dads, cracked out moms etc etc. I know we agree that T.V., sugar, electronics etc are a culprit but the #1 problem is the lack of SELF responsibility. Some people just dont care.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Lol Night...ya he is a good sport but this isnt a gender thread (thanks Sarge) i think its a cop out of sorts we all have to take responsibility for our lives, period. I like discussing food cause its a big thing in euro countries ie: i have spent time in Germany, Italy and to a small degree Switzerland and Austria. I travel to Italy every few years (this year is still pending) and the level of raw ingredient is taken to a completely different level, it becomes a passion to experiment or keep tradition alive.. its also very regional ie:i can buy grapes year round here sometimes from south Africa, in Italy they look at the farms to see whats in season and only eat that..its simple.

In the summer when i am there everything shuts down for 2 hours so families can eat and rest during the day and spend time together, they just seem to know how to live better.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Most of the folks I know who work in the trades or in a physical job are wrecked by the time they're 40. They have back/joint problems and start having a hard time doing the things they like or want to do when they're NOT working. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing trade work and I value expertise in any field, way more than a piece of paper that says someone finished a course or something.

That being said, I want a job where I'm not killing myself so I can go ride my bike, backpack, rock climb, etc., where I'm getting exercise by doing the things I enjoy doing. I do have an exercise routine during the week, and it serves multiple purposes, physically, mentally and emotionally, whether I'm riding up a hill or just lifting up heavy stuff. Come to think of it, most of my exercise is just spent combating gravity.

I agree wholeheartedly about the cheap food being the crappiest for you. Give someone a tight budget and see if they don't start gaining weight from empty calories.

Oh, and just so I'm contributing to the food thing, we have a vodka pasta sauce we make that is screamin', we're going to be entering it into the Italian Festival in Reno this year, alongside my mother-in-law's meat sauce. Homemade salsa in the summertime is one of my favorites, as is homemade hummus.

I eat pretty simply, I don't like stuff too fancy, especially if I'm cooking. I do have a killer sweet tooth though.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

swanny excellent post unfortunately i live in Toronto which is too freaking cold to enjoy biking and hiking like you left coasters enjoy year round, all i have is skating and skiing and i suck at both of them..i know i know what kinda Canadian doesn't know how to skate....hence dc lmao

i was getting around to a vodka sauce that my bro makes that is excellent and meat sauce is something that we have made into a fine art...so when you get a chance spill it..vodka sauce that is lol

lately i have been kinda feeling crappy cause i have a gallstone its really no big deal but the flareups are forcing me to eat better, which includes home made hummus and a lot veggies...i do feel better when do...really i do..sigh! so food has become a bit taboo i can look but no touch...
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

heres my new project...when i have the freakin time
phpBB [video]
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Rye, I have a good friend here at work, he gets gallstones. His doctor told him to, and I do not remember the amounts, but try a mixture of grapefruit/lemon juice and olive oil. Does it work for everyone? I have no idea. My friend said it worked for him. I guess the acidic juice helps break them free and then the oil coats your digestive track to get them out. I have heard that you can do it too much and should only be done if directed to. So I am guessing the amounts of either or both of the acidic juice and the oil much be pretty substantial.

Swanny, I finally got off my ass and joined a gym. I forgot how much it helps mentally. I am of course not saying it makes you smarter, as you all can tell, but just the clarity of thinking in many other aspects. I am not sure if many of you know, but I was diagnosed with A.D.D. They put me on what I called, "legalized meth" (Adderall, Vyvanse, etc) I found myself needing to increase the dose every few months and it got me thinking, this is not doing much good. I also, 1, found myself getting immune to it and 2, can see EASILY where it is addictive. Neither of those did I like. Getting my butt in the gym and doing ANY type of exercise has been more beneficial than any pill I have ever taken. Yes I am sore, but I have learned to embrace that soreness with a feeling of accomplishment. I also have taken the initiative to eat better. Now you throw down some cheesecake, ice cream, fried catfish or some bbq and all goes to hell, but baked/grilled fish, chicken and veggies are my go to now.

Rye, that would be too sweet to have a brick oven. A guy I used to work with was Italian and he went to the store and bought clay tiles. He would lay them on the racks of he regular oven when he cooked pizza. He said it gave it that brick oven crust.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

night good to hear!!! you i hope you keep it up bud, i have a stressful job that requires long hours and more stamina than an ant in a fire...sigh, but remember you can cheat once a week with your fav in small appreciated amounts...really you will appreciate it much much more.

Btw the oven is a bucket list thing that may be like a sauna or hot tub..uhuumm satin sheets sounds great but will fizzle out quickly after...but what the hell..
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

WARNING dont use home made grappa, i set off a fireball that burnt my eye brows and a fireball that crawled 6 feet of the ceiling the kitchen...no joke lmao but man was it good!
phpBB [video]
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I typically like my shrimp cold and with cocktail sauce, but wow, that looks good.

:(
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

^^^ what he said.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

my fav is tuna pasta sauce its very similiar to below vid:
just brown min 2 galic cloves add a can of tuna to the oil (about 4-5 table spoons) pinch of salt and or pepper to taste, cook for about a min then add enough water to make tuna break apart about 1-2 cup for one can of tuna let simmer for 10 mins again it take the same time as it does to boil pasta. Then before eating i sprinkle dryed garlic and pepper. ;) This works best with thinner pasta ie: spagettini or angle haired pasta.
phpBB [video]
fromage

Post by fromage »

ryeontherocks wrote:my fav is tuna pasta sauce its very similiar to below vid:
just brown min 2 galic cloves add a can of tuna to the oil (about 4-5 table spoons) pinch of salt and or pepper to taste, cook for about a min then add enough water to make tuna break apart about 1-2 cup for one can of tuna let simmer for 10 mins again it take the same time as it does to boil pasta. Then before eating i sprinkle dryed garlic and pepper. ;) This works best with thinner pasta ie: spagettini or angle haired pasta.
phpBB [video]
Have made this. Minus the feesh. Awesome as-is.
i_am_not_your_father
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by i_am_not_your_father »

ryeontherocks wrote:my fav is tuna pasta sauce its very similiar to below vid:
phpBB [video]
This recipe brought some childhood memories - one of my favs. I'll have to try it for a change since the tomato sauce recipe is getting old. Thanks rye.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

it is awesome...and sooo easy to make
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

is your food talking back ...why i oughta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

this is sooo simple yet heavenly if you get it right! i have experimented with these for a while..the whiskey should be anise for flavour. you can make chocolate one too..
phpBB [video]
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

phpBB [video]

i have an ice cream making attachment and i make a wicked blueberry frozen yogurt or a chocolate ice cream that's decadent ...i love summer ;)
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

this is a great topping for ice cream...its a stronger nicer version of sambuca.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

10343483_10153110969970616_7787074991709200309_n.jpg