Mordor
Canada

Isis getting taken out by Apache

Post by Mordor »

Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Re: Isis getting taken out by Apache

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

This is one of my favorites. Unfortunately its not ISIS. This was on Youtube a few years back.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
i_am_not_your_father
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by i_am_not_your_father »

What altitude do you think the Apache is at? I dont think the accuracy is "incredible" as the youtube post claims. Have you noticed how much fire power it took to take out one individual? To me it seems that a lot of ammunition was wasted. Is that normal?

IANYF
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

(Not ISIS, stupid YouTube post trying to say it's a drone, etc.)

Me, not knowing anything at all and sitting comfortably in my armchair, hopes this shows them operating right at the edge of the effective distance of the 30mm, so that they were nowhere near the actual targets, and only had to worry about someone else who might see the Apache.

At least for the 30mm, the effectiveness / waste looked acceptable to me if the alternative is "we could be more accurate than that if we moved closer." That said, I didn't watch the whole thing, but the initial missile fire & the additional missile fire after he was out of 30mm seemed like a waste. The missiles were hardly more effective than a few rounds of 30mm against those targets, but are presumably exponentially more expensive to release.

But I guess you don't want to fly home from a real engagement knowing you had eight perfectly good tubes of Freedom(tm) that you didn't unleash.

-Trench
i_am_not_your_father
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by i_am_not_your_father »

Trench,

I should have put timelines but I am too lazy. The part I was referring to was towards the end when they use 30mm rounds (if you say so) not missiles, to take out enemies. Those rounds appeared to hit everywhere but the targets. Reminded me of myself when I am in the Apache gunner position in Desert Combat.

IANYF
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

I would guess range at around a mile or more. The effective range is about 1600 yards. The gunner was a tad over zealous on fire control. One or two rounds to check fire, compensate then limit fire. There were way too many targets for that kind of action. Then using a hellfire for one target? Glad there all dead but hope they debrief with this video and learn. You just can't hover over a ammo box and head out.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed