Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

TV Shows

Post by HairyRussianDude »

What have you been watching on your streaming service of choice? Or if you're still in the stone age, cable?

I recently got into Superstore on Netflix and it is one of my new favourite shows of all time. It is like The Office but at Walmart.

I also need to dive into the final season of Shameless that just came out. It is a comedy/drama that chronicles the life of a lower class family in south Chicago. William H Macy does an awesome job at playing an alcoholic deadbeat dad!
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: TV Shows

Post by Trench »

Just found out that a second season of Trapped was available, and can't wait to have time to watch it. Icelandic language and locale cop drama. (Amazon Prime) If you like that, be sure and also check out Hinterland, a Welsh language and locale cop drama. (Netflix)

Blown Away reality show about competing glass makers had my attention while traveling the past month, since I had already watched all episodes of Forged in Fire about competing knife makers. (Netflix)

The Flight Attendant was something my wife and I both enjoyed very much. Stewardess who finds herself suspected of a murder surrounding events she can't remember. (HBO Max)

Marcella had gotten a new season I just got around to, and has been a good continuation of the story thus far. British police investigator drama. (Netflix)

30 Coins was something I enjoyed recently, too. Spanish language and Spain locale religious intrigue drama. (HBO Max)
Otto Kontrol
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Otto Kontrol »

Cable here - but I am a Cobra Kai fan and for some odd reason, Grand Sumo wrestling. Also can't wait for the Mayans to come back this year. I like to watch shows when they are scheduled, and very rarely binge. Mostly use the idiot box as back round noise as I navigate life in a wheelie chair (yes I can do wheelies galore including up and down bumps, in circles and while balancing groceries).

oTTo
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Murder drama aren't something I often watch but I might have to check out Trapped.
Netflix picked up a lot of really good foreign shows/films.

You should check out 1983 Trench. Polish show. Unfortunately a season 2 is not looking good but I really hope they do produce one some day.
https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80205593
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Not a huge TV guy, but I would have to say my all time favorite for a “series” so to speak is The Office, and more so the earlier seasons.

For a while I got into Rescue Me, basically a Firefighter version of The Office, some of it gets out there. There’s also some pretty hilarious stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y5J2O3j9pNY

Denis Leary wouldn’t have gotten away with most of this today lol.

The later seasons aren’t as good but season one has some really good stuff.

Also watched a few episodes of Ozark but was disappointed lol.

As I said not a TV fanatic but just my two cents.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Yeah I'd agree Ozark was meh. I just watched first season. I really like Tim Roth though. His "Lie to Me" was really good.

Nothing beats Battlestar Galactica IMO. Infinitely rewatchable. Hear they're gonna screw that up with a remake too.

And I don't have TV (other than Prime, which is usually garbage) I just have...uTorrent. So everything.

Oh I also got into Countercart on reco' of a friend. Which I thought was okay. Was cool to see stuff in Berlin. I feel like nowadays everything is just good for one season, and then they run out of original ideas and just add stupid relationship drama to stretch the show out beyond that.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I'll gladly disagree with everyone regarding Ozark. Using Jason Bateman for sharp wit without needing to be funny? Laura Linney playing the wife strong enough to do it all without him? Both great choices. But Julia Garner's performance is what makes that show so fun to watch. (Netflix)
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Oh shit you’re right I watched ozark s1 too but I was thinking of Tin Star, which is also meh.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

So to step away from serious shows for a moment...

On my not on call nights I've been smoking a bowl and watching 72 Most Dangerous Animals on Netflix.
And now I never want to step foot in India.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

That’s racist.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Nah Blink it is a desire to live.
India is like Asian Australia. Everything not human that lives there is trying to kill you.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

The joke was that Indians are a dangerous animal
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
Col. Kilgore
United States of America

Post by Col. Kilgore »

HairyRussianDude wrote: March 4th, 2021, 6:47 pm So to step away from serious shows for a moment...

On my not on call nights I've been smoking a bowl and watching 72 Most Dangerous Animals on Netflix.
And now I never want to step foot in India.
Australia is also loaded with critters that will bite and/or maul you, from spiders the size of your head to 20 foot long crocodiles.
Col. Kilgore
aka 00 Buck Shot
Col. Kilgore
United States of America

Post by Col. Kilgore »

Black Crows, Saudi Arabian Series about life under ISIS, Fauda, Israeli series about the Israeli Special Forces Unit, Band of Brothers ww2 europe, speilberg/tom hanks produced, The Pacific, ww2 in Pacific, Jack Ryan, Tom Clancy series, I love the old MASH episodes too, classic Star Trek, Chicago PD isn't too bad, Blue bloods, King of Queens, Kevin James comedy, High Score is a series about classic video games and players, I haven't found any new shows I care for that much on regular TV, Cable/Satellite has been pretty substandard since about the early 2000s IMO, everything is so woke nowadays, TV producers/writers/directors are afraid to push boundaries or explore interesting/controversial topics for fear of offending somebody.
Col. Kilgore
aka 00 Buck Shot
THE_Highway Man
United States of America

Post by THE_Highway Man »

We have Locast for local news, Pluto for other TV. As well as Channrl streaming apps for natgeo, discovery channel and what not.
Pluto has Blaze TV which i like, for free, instead of paying for it. As well as a 24/7 channel of certain shows like CSI Miami, The Rifleman, and other old westerns. Outdoor channels, science channels etc.
No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms.
– Thomas Jefferson
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Col. Kilgore wrote: March 8th, 2021, 12:25 pm Black Crows, Saudi Arabian Series about life under ISIS,
As low quality as this one was when it came to filming, I actually really enjoyed it!
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Well obviously Band of Brothers is amazing too. Probably the best wartime TV series ever, no questions asked.🇺🇸
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: March 10th, 2021, 10:19 pm Well obviously Band of Brothers is amazing too. Probably the best wartime TV series ever, no questions asked.🇺🇸
I watch the Band of Brothers and Pacific once per year to remind me of what it means to be a warrior and what it takes to win a war.
Band of Brothers tells a great story and it is played out as one in the series.
While Pacific tells a story as well, I think it more just depicts the gut of combat.
Fighting across the countryside of Europe is so far removed from digging the gold from the teeth of a dead Japanese soldier with a bayonet as he lies in a puddle of mud and death on a devasted piece of cratered out sand and rock in the middle of nowhere in the ocean.

Both are great series and greatly needed.

~ tona
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

zero zero zero on amazon prime (or torrent) is pretty fucking dope. expects the viewers to be smart, and has a super cool way of intermixing the character subplots. i also really like the angle of high level crime, fixers, and shit.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

BlinkofanEye wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 8:29 pm zero zero zero on amazon prime (or torrent) is pretty fucking dope. expects the viewers to be smart, and has a super cool way of intermixing the character subplots. i also really like the angle of high level crime, fixers, and shit.
I've seen that but haven't hit play yet...

~ tona
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

It's surprisingly well done for all the shit that's out nowadays. Uses a novel flashback technique that's pretty amazing and the military tactical stuff seems pretty on point.
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
toolman
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by toolman »

Band of Brothers is the single best thing ever "produced" on film. I watched on HBO on friday nights when it debuted..and have been speechless since.

I watch deadliest catch....Ozark is great but I also used to live in the Ozarks on a huge family farm in the 70's so...

Recently did formula 1 "drive to survive" that was fabulous if you like racing.
professional driver. closed course. do not attempt.

tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

toolman wrote:]
...Ozark is great but I also used to live in the Ozarks on a huge family farm in the 70's so...
Of course, being a life-time resident of Missouri, this caught my eye...

~ tona
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

I go to the ozarks every year for vacation, love it up there, have a couple family compounds in the area.

That area and then a couple retreats In the Rockies for fly fishing are my two spots.

Deadliest catch was a great show in the first couple of seasons, with the original cast. Once a few passed away and a couple retired, the show is just not the same. All that’s left is Sig and the captain of the Time Bandit I wanna say. All the new additions just aren’t as good at making the show smooth. Still good at fishing obviously, but the show is not the same.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

Family compounds?!?
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)