Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Discord versus other communication forms

Post by Trench »

Let's get this out of the way first: Zero things I've disliked thus far about Discord voice chat. For voice, I like Discord as an option compared to TeamSpeak and others.

When it comes to text-based communication, I've only ever used Discord in context of various Battlefield 1942-related servers, and the communication was decidedly "low volume". Meaning there might be 20+ people lurking, but only ~5 actually talking, and things were easy to follow because there really wasn't more than one thing going on at once. Overall, it was enjoyable for text-based communication, too.

Today for the first time I visited the Discord of a site using it as their primary and only support channel. (https://uupdump.net/) And holy hell, what a hot fukin' mess. Both for those trying to get help, and those trying to provide help. Literally 20+ overlapping conversations going on at the same time, difficult to identify useful information even if your question had been asked or answered as recently as the past 5 minutes, and difficult to find useful information even though specific messages had been "pinned".

(They "pinned" an answer that a lot of people needed, but the context of "an answer to what? to which actual problem?" was still just as difficult to find or follow, because the context that led up to this answer was still lost in the deluge of noise.)

I guess that' still "the 100% text-based equivalent to what goes on in the voice channels." If you were trying to support those 20+ concurrent questions in overlapping voice conversations, it would also be chaos. And I suppose it's even the same thing that happens if someone tried to do it on Twitter or any other "non-threaded message" discussion service.

Just wanted to say, it gave me renewed appreciation for having the http://ea117.com/ site. And being able to have not just separate forums, but separate discussion threads. And being able to easily search and find those discussions weeks or months later, etc. Maybe someone can show me a better example of someone using Discord "as their only discussion site."
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Re: Discord versus other communication forms

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

Discord has its problems that’s for sure.

Their tech support isn’t great and the forum you are describing is god awful. I agree 100%.

What makes discord worth it is the channels, creating your own servers, being 100% free…

It’s also a great way to get people into the game with a simple link. However, having a dedicated forum like us here at ea117… is necessary and proves time and time again to be a staple for our discussions as a community.

I only wish we were a tad more active on all platforms, and I understand the game is slowly dying and becoming less of a thing for the veteran players as life goes on… however it seems that around 7 guys are filling up 90% of the recent forums and threads that have been created..

Let’s try and bump those numbers up! 😄
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: June 28th, 2021, 9:21 pm Discord has its problems that’s for sure.

Their tech support isn’t great and the forum you are describing is god awful. I agree 100%.

What makes discord worth it is the channels, creating your own servers, being 100% free…

It’s also a great way to get people into the game with a simple link. However, having a dedicated forum like us here at ea117… is necessary and proves time and time again to be a staple for our discussions as a community.

I only wish we were a tad more active on all platforms, and I understand the game is slowly dying and becoming less of a thing for the veteran players as life goes on… however it seems that around 7 guys are filling up 90% of the recent forums and threads that have been created..

Let’s try and bump those numbers up! 😄
I misread that you were talking about a websites discord server… but yes chat rooms get super hectic at times and you can’t type and read the stuff fast enough to keep pace…
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I just like that my mic works much better in Discord. No intro fuzz like on TS.
Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

I can't say I like using Discord. The few times I used it for VC during a clan war, it was extremely laggy and I couldn't hear certain people talking. TeamSpeak on the other hand has always been excellent for VC.

Also, in Discord, you can't set passwords like in TeamSpeak. I'm only using this program because certain people I talk to also use it. If there was an alternative, or if Xfire was still around, I wouldn't bother with Discord.
BangBangOw<CP*SF>
United States of America

Xfire was so cool!

Sadly they ran aground a while ago.

Discord and TS are both fine, but Discord allows for channels/servers and typing chat rooms… along with decent VC capabilities…

Also isn’t TS a paid service? Discord is 100% free..