Why do I get "Spamhaus blocking your IP" every time I try to post a message here?

Talk about anything and everything in this section

NO SPAM/ADVERTISING PLEASE IN ANY FORUM

GBD

Why do I get "Spamhaus blocking your IP" every time I try to post a message here?

Post by GBD »

Why do I get "Spamhaus blocking your IP" everytime I try to post a message here?
Your IP 41.92.7.199 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=41.92.7.199.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Why do I get "Spamhaus blocking your IP" every time I try to post a message here?

Post by Trench »

Indeed, that is a different reason someone could have difficulty accessing this forum. The reason(s) are exactly as explained on the http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=41.92.7.199 page, and are unique to each particular IP address. In the case of this specific address, it's the fact that someone has been attempting to send spam from that IP address.

It's fully agreed "that's probably not you", since your IP address changes very frequently, and the behavior they are referring to could have been performed by someone else who had the IP address assigned to them before it later became assigned to you. Note you couldn't just categorically rule out "it's not because of me" though, since people with compromised computers have this activity occurring on their systems without their knowledge.

Yes, that will be an additional reason that makes it tough to connect to this web site, and probably some other web sites, in addition to simply the fact that your IP address changes very frequently. You don't really control the fact that your Internet service provider must re-assign addresses frequently, and you don't control what other users of the same Internet service provider are doing from their computers with IP addresses that you later end up using.

Technically the things you "can" do would be to pay for a different Internet provider service, and perhaps one that can give you a static IP address that is only ever being used by you. But that's a bit overkill, and not worth it just for being able to access this site.

What you might try instead, if you have one, is to use a VPN service and see if the IP address the VPN ends up connecting with is any less problematic. Of course, most VPN services are paid services, so if you don't already have one, that too may be an expense which "isn't worth it." Also note that VPN addresses are not allowed to connect to the game server; only here to the web server.

So it's agreed "that's a problem", and there are a couple things you could do which are in your control to avoid the problem. But that they might require additional expense, and therefore not be worth it. In that case, you might want to try using Discord and posting any messages you need to post over there. Presuming that Discord does not take any issue with the IP address(es) you're connecting from.