cheesemaster <cp> very disruptive player

If you want to report a player, this is the place to do so.
fromage

Re: cheesemaster <cp> very disruptive player

Post by fromage »

S.O.S. - just out of curiosity, do you play under a different name? Are you Default or do you go by other names in game?

I think we all hear what admins are saying, however, I would like to raise a few points for admins and other players to think about. It doesn't need a response, but take it as part of the bigger conversation.

EA117 DC is fun (at least for me) because of the gameplay, people & camaraderie. The gameplay is there, but it wouldn't have the appeal without the people or camaraderie. Take out any one of the factors and it will change the dynamics. For example, you can have a bunch of grumpy serious gamers who occasionally grunt and stick to a monotonous routine of play, Or, you can let it be and have fun with it. It will self regulate. Grow your base. Don't suppress it.

1. We play for different reasons, but we all agree that we play for fun. Over the years, I've observed that most actually engage in the chat because they too enjoy the camaraderie. The levels of chat you're describing isn't 100% of the time and goes in waves. Like any social participation, you just let it run its course. Before you know it, you've got complainers running the place and it suddenly turns into California politics. If I were admins, I would jump at the chance that I've actually got players on a 13+ year old game (who play very well btw and rank at the top) to actually engage and have fun with others.

2. While we can try to "keep it down", the fact is, "you/we" can't please everyone all of the time. The easier thing is for those people to use the ignore command if all they want is gameplay. If they don't want to participate, fair enough. Pure and simple, use the command. We agree that TK's or breaking known rules are disruptive and ruin gameplay. I cannot possibly imagine how someone elses conversations actually impacts your gameplay. Don't like that commercial? Turn it off. Don't like that song? Turn it off. Don't like the chat? Turn...it...off. There is an ignore command. That very small group of complainers do not speak for everyone. Let's face it, some people quite frankly don't have a sense of humor, are socially inept or want to control others because they don't "like" them based on whatever reason they find that day. Instead of taking the initiative to use the command, they'd rather force their will on the larger group. Why is that? A very small group is basically telling a much larger group of people(CP and non CP) that they shouldn't have fun or communicate in the way they desire.

3. There are a very special and smart group of people here with diverse backgrounds. Some from tech, military, blue collar, white collar, regular joes, etc. Embrace it. Don't become like other servers by losing that special draw and drowning out the voices. I'd hate to see this server go that route.

Anyhow, people of EA117, rock on and see you all in game. *Fart*
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Cheese,

And this is directed to YOU. I will not deny, that I do find your antics funny... most of the time. I also, will admit that I am guilty of participating in such "antics". I will also admit that I have realized (hindsight being 20/20) that some of those times were a lack of my better judgement, ESPECIALLY being an admin. Now, you and I have had conversations since that last ban, in which, YOU and I, have BOTH come to the understanding that the IN GAME chat, CAN and DOES, get out of hand at times. With those previous conversations in mind, it is a total PITA to admin the server when the chat log is going by so fast I might as well be watching the closing credits to a Lifetime movie that has been edited for time on TV. There comes times were people have LEGITIMATE complaints/comments and we can not see them OR we have to go back in the log or command screen and decipher what was BS talk and meaningful chatter. THEN decide if we should do anything or not.

There is NOT one person/admin who is saying do NOT have fun. The bottom line is the <CP>, ESPECIALLY the "leaders" of the clan or group, and I could give two shits what anyone wants to call it .. IT IS a group/clan, can and does get mouthy. And those same people LOVE to push buttons of any prey they can find. Is it in jest, most of the time, or maybe in a bullying way, well unfortunately that is up the the recipient. I had to learn the hard way while in the service the term "perception". To be honest I still have a problem with it. I say something that had NO ill will, then the next thing I know I am standing in front of the 1stSgt explaining what, where, when, why and how.

EA117 .. IS!!!!!!!! and ALWAYS !!!!! will be the BEST server on the net. We have the BEST group of people you can name. I include you in that as well. Even our new guys from that F'n BF3. But I will be damned if I would sit here and lie to you and say that that the formation of <CP> was at a terribly suspicious time and that *most* of you (especially* the initial members) do NOT heed any kind of warning.

There is no doubt that you are smart enough to understand where we are coming from, why we are saying what we do, why we take action when respectable members of this community, WHICH you belong to complain about people (SUCH as yourself) and why we will not change the way this community has been and WILL be.

I am gonna say this, of all the forums I have belong to, this group is by far the best. Even the people that I am not fond of I can tolerate. MANY of the people here I would welcome to have a beer at my house. Including my homebrew. :D

Call him S.O.S or Default whatever you want but he has and will be here a long time. He IS a respectful player and admin. He understands the ins and outs and I CAN promise you , and I hope he does not mind me saying this, BUT speaking from personal experience, IF he was to ban someone and he has a doubt he was wrong, he will say sorry.I say that to make everyone understand that the fellow admins were not just a bunch of "Hey you are a good player do you want to admin" guys. They were asked because they understand, they are compassionate, and they do give chances and not ban just on a whim. All that to say, you guys have been given warning after warning to which there has been NO change in attitude.

On another note, I for one have been given plenty of info that YOU along with other <CP> members, like to F around when there are no admins. That for one, REALLY PISSES me off, as I have told you before, I like gaming with you, BUT,I HATE hearing that when I or ANY of the admins of this great server are not watching, yall are stabbing us in the back by doing such things.

I think more than anything, the later makes more of a difference than anything. At least for me as I enjoy playing with most, if not all the remaining players of this group. NO ONE wants anyone to be removed nor leave this group, but that is not to say we will not take action if we have multiple complaints.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Holy crap. I nodded off half way thru that NS. Anyone need a tissue

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Sarge wrote:Holy crap. I nodded off half way thru that NS. Anyone need a tissue

Narcolepsy is a bitch huh. Do you prefer with or without aloe? Being the sensitive type, I am sure it is aloe so let me see if my little girl will let you have some.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Nighty, fair point on the reviewing of logs for other issues. However, overall, I think you missed the spirit of my post in the grander scheme of things. As far as the he said, she said thing, we cannot refute what has not been brought up. Anyone can have their incorrect perception or make claims. And yes, if several people don't like the "group", well, it's kinda not hard to imagine they'll say just about anything to throw us under the bus because they see the opportunity. It doesn't make it true. How we play is no different than when you guys are on or off. Anyhow, moving forward. Beer on, buddy. :) Pack up the circus tent before I start posting cat photos. :D
fromage

Post by fromage »

Sarge wrote:Holy crap. I nodded off half way thru that NS. Anyone need a tissue
LMAO

Nighty, can I get that novel on the Kindle? I need something to read on long flights. :D
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

Holy moly... and I thought the BF3 community had drama. Stu always giving me shit about it lmao... I hope this gets resolved, seems like an easy fix though.

On a side note we just received some CP-Carillo pistons for an N54 engine build. I can take a picture of the box for your CP photo collection if ya want lol.
swodi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by swodi »

Jay - don't egg'em on! Those CP's had all the jeeps on a map lined up in formation forming a giant CP in the middle of the airfield the other day to take pictures - and had to kick all 13 of them....

kidding - just kidding my friends :D :D
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Why not just hop on a room in TS and giggle the night away while not making everyone else sit through your particular brand of humor? Win/win, it seems to me.

The bottom line is the chat has always been primarily for coordination in play. If you're the only ones on then no worries but if the chat gets in the way of its primary purpose then it's disruptive. Admins' jobs are to keep the server running smoothly. If it's disruptive, it needs to go. Just roll with it, or find another place for the antics.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

So there is an ignore command? Do we enter that in the console? I'm a half decent player, but there are still basic commands/tricks I have never learned. Go figure. What is the command to do this?

And the TS solution? Is that headset stuff? I think this is worth looking into, but I kind of prefer written chat to actually talking. The blanket of anonymity is so comforting in written chat instead of voice chat. I prefer to think of Cheese as a man and it would be shocking if I got on TS and discovered he was a woman.

But I get what people are saying. I personally only play multiplayer games instead of single player stuff because I 100% prefer the challenge of fighting real people. I love the challenge of taking on Default and 57 Chevy and Pathfinder, etc...to bots. An added joy is the camaraderie of people like Cheesemaster, etc...the fun and humor involved.
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by S.O.S »

Right on spot Swanny. My problem with the CPs is not whether or what they chat but how much they do it. When there are several CPs online, especially when CM is present, things tend to go out of hand. Their excessive talks will bury most of the game related messages. Unfortunately I can't simply use the ignore command to filter them out as it's my job to monitor what's going on in game. So, like I said before, chatting is fine but don't over do it.

And yes, I go by Default in game now. S.O.S has been retired.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I wish there was a way to create a 3rd chat channel. Global, team and CP chats. :D
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Hav3n wrote:But I get what people are saying...
You know I like to hear or attempt the random non sequitur, even when it involves two or three chat exchanges to successfully push the joke too far. But to play the game, it should be a momentary distraction, and not something where you can die and spawn multiple times and keep walking past the same stationary arrows with their head down chatting.

I threw out a "No one gets to chat unless they're holding the top of the Bridge" the other day because it was frustrating to have three team members in the stream of consciousness chat mode while our team is both losing and down these three otherwise-engaged members. That it happened on Bridge seeming that much more egregious, given the goal necessary for Bridge is so simple and yet we couldn't be bothered to achieve it before goofing off.

Which is not a situation of "I wonder how the ignore command works" or "I wish there was a cat channel", neither of which would have changed the effect of being three men down.

But nor is it a statement of "we shouldn't be chatting at all." Like what SOS was saying, it feels like a problem when we're chatting so much that its interfering with the gameplay. Be that someone else's gameplay, or even your own support of your own team.

-Trench
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I started out at about 1:10 score on that round Trench, maybe worse, can't recall. No one on blue was capable of dismantling the steady stream of unopposed PK and AK47 fire coming from red. They were simply better that round. I made it to the bridge itself maybe 3-4 times only to die quickly.

The "CP issue" is real, I get that. You guys want chat to be diminished, but I fear it is also devolving into a de facto scapegoat of sorts. If it is interfering with team play, do bring it up. I respond to other players asking for help or coordinating. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do much last night so it may have seemed like you were ignored.

I respect the "mutual respect" concept and respond to teammates calling for help or coordinating something. Unfortunately, it seems there is precious little coordination on a public server like this and so "CP chat" seems so intrusive because it is often the only substantial thing happening maybe?
A FLYING COW
Canada

Post by A FLYING COW »

I think this thread has kinda steered off in the wrong direction. This is just about Cheese and BlackMerc. I think CP deserves a thread of her own. Shes special :)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Haven, I think you may be pleasantly surprised by TS which may or may not include my voice. It does add another element to the gaming experience which most find enjoyable that try it. It is also alot easier to solve issues as once you get to know that persons voice you can also tell how they are meaning a certain comment by the tone. Unlike the chat or forum.

I was on when Trench said that comment about chatting on the Bridge. I, too, have witnessed exactly what Trench is talking about when it comes to people running at the mouth and shooting the S*** rather than running around the map shooting the enemy. Not just on Bridge either.

I do thank you fellas for at least looking at this openly and realizing that it could be disruptive. Mainly because of the amount and not the context (most of the time).
fromage

Post by fromage »

Spot on, Hav3n. I pretty much feel the same way on all points.

Trench, suggestion, it might be better asking for a more direct coordinated move with specific players & loadouts vs the global chat like the one you mentioned. As I recall, I think all of us were actually heavily in battle while managing some chat. Just an observation.

Swanny/SOS - fair points. As for TS, I too prefer written versus voice (simply because I don't have a mic and don't feel compelled to go out and buy one and download additional software. It's just a personal preference.) However, I'm more than willing to be reasonable and reduce the chat, though I would simply ask for a warning as opposed to a full on kick out of nowhere. You occasionally do both SOS and it just seems a little heavy handed as of late, given that we've been at the same rate of chat over the years. Usually when you mention something, we heed it or ask for clarification. It would actually be ok for you to throw in the random funny comment too, SOS. ;) Fair enough?

Heffer, you my friend need your own thread. Bikini photo shoots and all.

Oddjob, that's because this is serious business and serious business demands drama. Post em up! :D

Impending pant wearing cat photos enroute. Feel free to stick a fork in this thread.
fromage

Post by fromage »

BTW, if this thread did nothing else, it demonstrated Nighty's love of writing. :D
ns.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by S.O.S »

Looks like we have an agreement of sort here and we'll see how it works in game. CM, you've got your last warning from me quite sometime ago and kick or ban are the only options for you now for any violations. Frankly, as most talks were originated from or directed at you, you will remain on top of my kick list until I see real changes.

Chat is not my thing, so don't ask.

This thread is quite off track from BM's original post. We can't act on the complain yet since there's no other proof of what really happened. If you want to report someone, it's a good idea to get a screenshot, a FRAPS capture or other players as witnesses.
fromage

Post by fromage »

A simple verbal will suffice too. Try me, I'm pretty reasonable.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

It's settled then! The wedding will go forward!

Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Cheese, or anyone that is not catching on, SOS just gave his verbal warning. The LAST one if it is not clear enough as he along with other admins, have given warnings in game and in this God forsaken thread.
OddJob2021
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by OddJob2021 »

I also think the easiest solution to this is what Swanny suggested. Join TS. Even if you don't have a microphone you can still listen to others and react/respond in game. Teamspeak is such a great tool for online gaming without VOIP. If you find you're lacking competitive communication (not personal/fun chat) in game, TS is the perfect solution. If the admins are having a tough time filtering your fun chat from alerts (which they are) then again, TS is the perfect solution. As for not wanting to know if people are female or male well, get over it lmao. That's the same thing imho, as someone saying they're too shy to join, for whatever reason. No one will judge you personally until you all get comfortable ;)

I usually hate going off-topic. Maybe this thread'll die with this post and you all can get back to the grind.
Here are the pics: block on left is an N54 (BMW e9x 335i motor) going for ~800wheel with either a single or twin turbos. Block on right is a Lotus Esprit V8. Block is sleeved and going for 1000+whp on twin turbos. That car will be nasty. 2500lbs and 1000wheel? Can you say highway monster -or- 1 mile king?

Last edited by OddJob2021 on August 1st, 2013, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
A FLYING COW
Canada

Post by A FLYING COW »

Hav3n wrote:It's settled then! The wedding will go forward!

LMAO!

Where do you get these cat pictures?! Seriously. They're amazeballs.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Nightstalker wrote:Cheese, or anyone that is not catching on, SOS just gave his verbal warning. The LAST one if it is not clear enough as he along with other admins, have given warnings in game and in this God forsaken thread.
I meant in the game, like "throttle it back CM", or "reduce your swag to defcon 5," something to that effect. :18: Quite frankly, the decisions to kick are very arbitrary and subjective. Also, if others are chatty, that's not on me. Treat everyone individually. That's why a notice in the game would give a much clearer message like we've done successfully in the past and we should be all good.