Albus NoX Luna

If you want to report a player, this is the place to do so.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Albus NoX Luna

Post by Trench »

Since Luna PM'd me regarding Jagd's thread already, we can be sure they're monitoring the forum, and so we can just conduct business right here. Since the point was to do it publicly in-game, but doing it publicly here is fine too.

Luna, we have had sufficient complaints and observations regarding your in-game behavior, such that we are choosing to make you this offer: Please tone down your gameplay to the level where these kinds of accusations and suspicious observations won't be raised when you are playing.

If you don't want to do that, or do not feel like you should have to do that, those are fine choices too; and we wish you well and invite you to play elsewhere and not on the EA117 server.

This is a point we come to very rarely, and have had to make this choice less than a handful of times. The choice is not made based on an assertion of whether the gameplay is possible or not; to be clear, no one is declaring "its not possible to play like this" nor "this is cheating." If someone comes in and runs over the existing player population by whatever means, we stand on the side of the existing player community.

So our choice is made based on what we think will best serve the playing community here on EA117. You're welcome to stay and be part of that, but only if you choose to tone down your gameplay to a level where these complaints and observations cease to be a disruption.

If we see you continuing to play, we'll assume your choice is to tone things down, and we will monitor and act accordingly.

-Trench
Luna

Re: Albus NoX Luna

Post by Luna »

Understood. My only concern are the few in the community that are the most hostile towards me in game. Is there no direction for those that tend to throw out accusations? What behavior should be expected of them? Are they free to provoke and disrupt by calling me whatever they please in game?

I think this clip speaks for itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButJPqAL9DE

There are two people, Ninja & Fly Boobs, accusing me of shooting through walls.

I can understand how the perspective of Fly Boobs would've made it seem like he was shot through a wall because he has close to 200 ping. We have all ducked behind cover only to be shot and killed a quarter second later. It's the lag we all deal with in this game.

I can't defend Ninja's accusation. He was clearly nearing the top of the ladder. A few steps back from the wall made him easily visible and exposed to being killed. But, he insisted that I have some sort of cheat and claims he wasn't near the top of the ladder.

Then there's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDy3h7wiVUA

I'm just throwing a few grenades at spots that are likely to have enemies and get accused of wallhacks by Tesla. Given that almost everyone on the opposition side died recently, it's not likely there will be anyone near or to the east of coalition main. My death camera shows nobody going east, one enemy going north, and my teammates positioning on the map indicate it's likely there could be people where I'm throwing the grenade. I'm sure most of the long-time players use this similar methods to deduce where enemies are likely to be.

I'm just trying to illustrate the circumstances when I'm being accused. Many of them are instances like the links I provided.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Without even looking at the videos, I would fully expect that there have been hackusations that are without merit. We see those all the time. I've seen them directed at me; the one and only person who I can say definitively and without a doubt isn't hacking anything. So that is going to happen. That's just the way people and gamers are. A hackusation does not a hacker make.

This isn't about "but look, I didn't actually shoot through the wall." This isn't about just three or four people complaining; nor about the few people who choose to handle themselves by reacting vocally in game. Admins have been monitoring and reacting to the situation since you began playing under your current ID in October, and have come to a conclusion about what needs to be done.

We do agree that players should not be unnecessarily harassed, and admins have used their judgement to suppress that or direct it to the forums when its getting out of hand, or "the point has been made, now play." Whether I would say they're out of line in this case is more subjective, because the calling out is one effect of the situation we're saying exists, and for which we're now giving you a choice.

Meaning to a particular extent, the gameplay has also brought this issue upon yourself. Other players' reactions are one of the things you'll be able to use (and we will certainly be considering as well) to judge whether you're successfully "toning things down" far enough to continue playing here.

That doesn't mean "there will be zero suspicions or zero complaints." It means that when admins monitor your gameplay, we'll have no more suspicions that we would for any other player. It means the complaints and reports by other players will be no more or less constant that they are for anyone else.

It's subjective, to be sure. But that's where we're at with evaluating disruptions on the server, and that's the line we feel has been crossed. We're not going to spend a bunch more time on it; you'll make your choice, and your gameplay will become no more remarkable than the other good players, or it won't change and action will be taken. Either way, cake will be served and we'll all play again tomorrow, where ever that may be.

-Trench
Luna

Post by Luna »

Subjective is certainly the active word here. The other players' reactions are certainly not an accurate measure for much when the accusations are easily disproved or coming strictly from spite. But, if that's a metric you wish to draw upon then I have no choice but to grit and comply.

See you on the battlefield.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I have a less professional sounding opinion to throw out here...

Luna,
I for one gave up thinking you were cheating a long time ago. You can be shot and killed, you do miss, you do wound on occasion rather than make a headshot or 10 bullets hitting the target, you move around a lot and are hard to hit, and after watching the videos you posted, I had a eureka moment realizing I never considered the C button as an advantage as infantry. Quite frankly, you're just plain better than us by miles. I've seen the team chat riddled with hackusations against you and I for one would tell them that you're not cheating, just good.

BUT...

I'm with Trench. I personally can handle when a player is on steroids and utterly annihilates me, but I completely understand the fun being taken out of a game when one player can annihilate and entire team. Set aside the accusations of hacks. Take it as a huge compliment that your skill level is so high that many are convinced you are cheating. You have no need to prove you are not cheating. The focal point is that the majority have spoken up on the server, and your skill level ruins the fun for most. Unfortunately, the game is so old that there is no server full of elites to test each others metal and you're stuck playing with a lower class of player. You have nothing to prove skill wise, and I hope you can understand why Trench has given you this proposition without a grudge.
Something else to consider...
I don't know how passionate you are about the game, but I love it and still try to convince others to download and play it. The population is hanging on by a sliver and we need more recruits. Imagine a new player coming into EA117, and DC, for the first time and running into you. How likely is it that they're going to stick with the game?
Again, no ill feelings towards you, and I hope you can see the perspective of the general population.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Thank you, Harry. I appreciate the compliment.

You're right. The point is not to drive away new-comers or make the current players want to retire. The goal is retention and to combat attrition. I take no issue in creating an environment that welcomes newbies. I could certainly do better and be more aware of who may be on the other side of the keyboard.

To extend on that point a bit: when a new player's chat log is spammed with hackusations and implications that cheaters run rampant then I think that would be just as damaging, if not more so, as someone racking up the scores. They're new and have no gauge of what's possible and what's not. If the newbie observe a few veterans making accusations, baseless and unsubstantiated or not, then it may drive them away because they don't know the difference.

The admins in the remaining BF42 community as a whole generally do a good job with keeping cheaters away. That has definitely come at the expense of losing some talented ones, but I suppose that's the nature of the beast. Knowing what is possible and what is not certainly helps narrow the hunt and retains better players.

Good post, Harry.
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

You have a fair point Luna, and I agree.
I think Trench has fairly addressed that though. Hackusations are an unfortunate part of any game. Any player who can consistently display skill is going to meet with them. On top of it being negative reading to a newcomer, I also think rampant accusations creates a mob mentality and gets worse if left unchecked. But as Trench stated, it ultimately comes down to the admin on duty to calm the rabble. If no admin is present, not much can be done. I think implementing kick words as some servers have done is damaging to the server. I cannot speak for every instance you have faced this, but in my experience when I have seen suspicion cast on a player (not only you, others as well) the regular guys are great at speaking calmly and vaguely. Cheese is a master at this. The way he speaks would not mean anything to a new player, yet the admin get the message that "hey I should check this player out". I see nothing wrong with this when a steroid player steps in and causes suspicion. I do agree that the "HACKS HACKS HACKS" speech is damaging however. Again, it is on the admin to quell this. And when not present, perhaps the regs could step in a calmly try to tone these players down.
I invite you to continue playing Luna. And join in on the forums. Join other forums as well, get to know the regs, and perhaps you could set up matches on empty servers with guys like Trench, Twilight from moon, etc. to swing your dicks and challenge one another.
See you in game!
Creamy

Post by Creamy »

Luna is certainly a great player, check out his youtube vids if you haven't already. I've played with him a fair bit and noticed like Hairy did that he also misses, wounds, walks past you without noticing you if you're sneaky enough, etc. The accusations of cheating must be solely from his kdr, which isn't that unusual from other good players at times. Thought I'd just put in my $0.02
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

I dont know why hes banned
not fair
u dont kick fluffy or S.O.S for having score 100-30 90-20
thats totaly not fair
i have old ss of father fluffy ninja payne and etc... good players and when they play like luna they are the good players and when luna plays like that he's a hacker
i played with him on euro servers wher he's ping is 160 to 200
and i cant tell that he's not hacker
he's just a good skilled player so i dont think he should be banned
i know my opinion dosent count but i dont think he should have be tretted like this
u always complain that we dont have much players and ur gonna ban him
like i said my voice dont count for anything but it would be nice to see him playing tonight or tomorow
and u all remember when i was a noob and u see me how i play now
they even call me a hacker like luna on all servers npt just on ea on bf42 and euro dc/dcf servers
Silent Assassin