Losing a Loved One

tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Losing a Loved One

Post by tonawandares »

There is probably nothing more difficult than losing a loved one.
I've been noticeably afk for some time. Life brings us these challenges, and sometimes they hit all at once.
We had major storm damage earlier this year and are almost done with the final repairs.
My 90-year-old mom had a stroke and a heart attack the last day of June. She is still recovering but just a shell of who she was before.
My older sister is at the end of her life now at a mere 68 years of age.

I'm glad that some of the pettiness that was going on around here has subsided.
We come here to escape.
We come here to have fun.
We come here to enjoy our friends we've come to know over the years.
We never know what one of us is going through at any given time so let's continue to think about the things that are important.
Ugliness with each other profits nothing.
I hope when I return, I can fully enjoy my EA117 friends and my time playing.

~ tona
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Losing a Loved One

Post by Trench »

Thanks for letting us in on a little of what's been going on. And for sharing one of the perspectives it helped illuminate.

Sorry that so much of life came calling all at the same time. Take care, and we're going to be glad to see you back when you have time again.

-Trench
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Amen, Trench.

Tona: I'm terribly sorry to hear about all that has transpired for you and your family these past months. I have no words that can assuage your suffering, but what I can say is that we stand with you through it all. And I also, wholeheartedly, echo your sentiment that major events of adversity that one faces in life should serve as reminders to the trivial nature of many of the disputes and frustrations that occupy our day-to-day existence. This is a safe space to escape from the reality of life's inevitable challenges, not to encounter even more.

Make sure to practice self care during these months. And we look forward to seeing you here again in your own time.

-JGB
[-UG-] Maj. MoFo

Post by [-UG-] Maj. MoFo »

Hi Tona,

So sorry for your losses. Getting old sux, especially for the older generation than you. I have few words. Hang in there Kel!

Dan
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I'm sorry for your loss Tona. I hope you're back on your feet sooner than later, and we look forward to you returning when you're ready.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Tona, I haven't been on much but sorry to hear of the struggles you've all encountered. I hope you and your family find some comfort in the days, months & years to come. Take care of yourself in the meantime and keep 'em saggy, pal. :)
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

My sister left for a new journey on November 20, 2018.
She was able to make the decision for herself to cease all treatment. She quietly and peacefully passed about 12 hours later.
I'll miss her wit and strength.

~ tona
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

I know nothing can be said to make a person feel better about losing a loved one, but at least it sounds like her passing was very dignified for her tona.
Hang in there buddy. The best I can offer you is to come hang out with us one night if you need to shun out life and just do something fun.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Sorry for all the treasured things that will be absent now, Tona. While also being glad for the beginning of what sounds like a potentially welcome peace from things that were outside of anyone's control.

That we should all be fortunate enough in our lifetime to receive -- and even more fortunate to be part of helping give to someone else -- the dignity of control over one's own life.
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

I second both Hairy's and Trench's kind and eloquent remarks. Sending a hug your way, Tona.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

My condolences on your loss.
It's probably time I to share part of my life and why I haven't been around for two years.

My wife and I have lost six people in the last 18 months. Two close friends my kids adopted as grandparents. My wife list her mom there to cancer and had to "pull the plug" in Aug 2016. Six weeks later our 16 yr old son shot himself. We were twenty feet outside his door when we heard the report of the rifle. It was a 7mm Mag round. With my history, this was a nightmare scene for us. My son had virtually had no head left and my wife fell to her knees, put her hand on his chest to feel the last heart beat. Now we both deal with the what if's the rest of our lives.
Finally, a WWll hero, recipient of a Purple Heart and three Bronze Stars, my dad joined my son a year later.

So there's our life. I do pop in from time to time, hut it just to keep current with all you homos.

Merry Christmas you bunch of losers!

Sarge out.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Sarge 1/68th Armor wrote: December 3rd, 2018, 12:02 pm My condolences on your loss.
It's probably time I to share part of my life and why I haven't been around for two years.

My wife and I have lost six people in the last 18 months. Two close friends my kids adopted as grandparents. My wife list her mom there to cancer and had to "pull the plug" in Aug 2016. Six weeks later our 16 yr old son shot himself. We were twenty feet outside his door when we heard the report of the rifle. It was a 7mm Mag round. With my history, this was a nightmare scene for us. My son had virtually had no head left and my wife fell to her knees, put her hand on his chest to feel the last heart beat. Now we both deal with the what if's the rest of our lives.
Finally, a WWll hero, recipient of a Purple Heart and three Bronze Stars, my dad joined my son a year later.

So there's our life. I do pop in from time to time, hut it just to keep current with all you homos.

Merry Christmas you bunch of losers!

Sarge out.
There is one constant in life that makes us uniquely the same...the shared agony of loss and the unquenchable thirst for answers to questions that elude us.
Thanks for sharing Sarge...after changes, we are more or less the same

~tona
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

That's a tough read Sarge, but thank you for letting us in on it.

We're also here whenever you or your wife need to yell insults at someone's manliness, if ever that might help...
jolly_giada
Admin
Admin

Post by jolly_giada »

Heart goes out to you, Sarge. I very much appreciate how you and Tona were willing to be so "real" here. For years, this server has served as a fleeting escape from life's ample supply of challenges; for me, they are mainly physical, whereas for others, they may be emotional or familial. Regardless of the source of anguish, the server affords some momentary catharsis for many of us.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Thanks for the words guys.
I didn't mean to bring this thread down to a even lower depressed post. I was wanting to post this information for a year. It just seemed to be the right time.
You can see stuff in the field, but when it's a innocent 16 year old son it brings you a place of darkness and for me a vendetta which I'll gladly go down in a blaze of glory. Don't worry I have a friend I call Sheriff around here. ;) .

I hope sometime before Christmas I'll get on and maybe ol Sarge can capture a flag and not die and bring her home. :D

Anyway, thanks and have a safe and Happy Holidays to the sweetest bunch of homos you all are.

Sarge out.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed