New old pc

sanchez
El Salvador

New old pc

Post by sanchez »

Trying to be a nice father I gave my 12 year old son my computer so he can play Minecraft , he had asked me for a computer to play Minecraft ,so he showed me the game and I saw some videos of crappy animations so I thought it was a piece of cake and a cheap PC would play that shit game. I bought an old little desktop for $50 bucks Canadian and to my surprise the stupid game actually requires good graphics card and a fast processor. In the end I had to give him my PC which will play Minecraft in mid settings. So now I am trying to play BF 1942 in the 50 Bucks PC and wont play the game , It just blinks and goes back to desktop.
Windows 10
AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.20 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
64 bit Operating system
Direct play enabled
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: New old pc

Post by Trench »

One thing that comes to mind that could give that symptom is the CD-based copy protection of the game. In addition to enabling DirectPlay for playing on Windows 10, have you gone through all the other steps from the http://ea117.com/dcinstall document? Specifically Step 8 and the "Battlefield 1942 GameSpy patch v1.61.exe" update. This will replace the BF1942.EXE and MOD.DLL with ones which won't attempt to perform the CD-based copy protection check.

Seems like another thing which has been useful in these situations is to edit your videodefault.con (in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings" directory) to have renderer.setFullScreen 0 instead of renderer.setFullScreen 1. So that the game attempts to launch in a window, instead of full screen. Certain types of errors that occur can be shown in windowed mode, but are "hidden" when running full screen.
BlinkofanEye
United States of America

Post by BlinkofanEye »

+1 for the windowed mode. I don't think I had the flickering problem you had, but my resolutions would never be right until I launched in windowed mode and then used a program called Borderless Gaming to maximize to full screen. That PC sounds like it should have the power to play DC fine. Fack, it came out in 2004...
Vote for map al_nas?
Yes (7)
Yes (8)
HairyRussianDude
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by HairyRussianDude »

Thats too funny! I had the same problem with Broforce. I figured a game that looks like it was made for the Genesis would do fine on my 10 year old laptop so I could take it to a buddy's house. No beuno!

My first stop is here, every time now.
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
sanchez
El Salvador

Post by sanchez »

I did follow the instructions :enabled direct play, changed the rendered thing from 1 to 0, I even added a CD key and now it takes a few secs like processing something and still will go back to desktop. I had to mention that when I tried to patch it with 1.6 and 1.6 b it tells me that I have already the latest version . I tried to use my CD but it is scratched so I downloaded of the net and it is the simple fr server version. Should I just install windows 7 ? Will it work ?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

I'm not immediately expecting that "switch to Windows 7 instead" is the solution to the current issue. I would certainly want to keep Windows 10 myself. But you'll certainly "reset a lot of things" which might also affect this issue, if you simply format the hard drive and install Windows 7 instead. i.e. Same as it might work if you formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows 10 clean again.

I wish I could vouch for exactly what's in the Team-SiMPLE download; it definitely should already have tuia's fixes I expect, but it seems like there were also other things like hi-res textures and other modifications too. Unknown whether one of those just imposes some requirement above and beyond what Battlefield 1942 itself would have required. The install instructions here definitely are written from the CD install perspective.

Before giving up on the current machine setup, you might also want to try Mali's download just in case. It's not that I can vouch for everything in that one either, but just an alternative to try.

Not that it will point directly to a problem, but you could run DXDIAG and use the "save all information" and attach that .txt file here, just in case there is a clue or suggestion to be made based on that. Before bothering to do that, if you haven't done it already, the standard recommendation of making sure you have AMD's latest drivers for the video is an appropriate action too.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

wow...PCs...Windows 7...Windows 10...Laptops...Graphics cards....

I'm still playing BF on the game boy I bought my son when he was 8...

~ tona
sanchez
El Salvador

Post by sanchez »

thanks Trench I think it had to do with the video drivers, the computer was made for windows 8 upgraded to 10 but had some drivers missing, I decided to do a fresh windows 7 install and installed Mali's files so it works good now but I can not see any servers to play online.
sanchez
El Salvador

Post by sanchez »

added server Ip and port and was able to play tonight
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

#sanches
maybe the latest drivers might do u some performance issues try rolling back 1 or 2 driver
4i have almost the same cpu with apu they are crap
and enable bf1942.exe to use full performace in gpu utility
glad NUKE's installer helped :))
Silent Assassin