Pixel Aiming / shooting..

opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Pixel Aiming / shooting..

Post by opus »

So this has been a much debated issue on many forums around, and I'd like to bring it up again.

Let me just begin with explaining what it is exactly, for those who aren't aware.

Pixel Aiming

An artillery gunner can "train" his crosshair on a specific location, by using simple fixpoints in pixels.
This could be anything from a treeline, a cloud on a sky, or anything that stands out. Knowing this can be extremely useful to place your arty strike on a specific location. (say like a viecle spawn or flag).
An example of this could be: "Costal hammer map". The arty has by careful investigation learned that shooting at "X" this height, in "X" that angle, aiming at a specific angle, will be perfect for the right bend of fire to reach the beachflag viecle spawnpoint. So to answer many people's question, NO he can't see you. He simply aims for a cloud/tree etc, which he knows will give him the right angle to reach the location. He might have studied this before hand, or learned / read about it on a blog or forum.

In some communities it is considered a hack/cheat, however that is not the case. You could go as far and call it an exploit, or even a vulnerability. But it is not a criminal act, and there is no real "cheating" connected to it. It is equivalent to say for example.. You happen to know that lifting your crosshair a bit, lets the bullet travel more directly.. and so on.

In any case, it is just down right annoying. lol.

Personally I consider it "disruptive gameplay", as it is attacking a potential spawnpoint but also taking out vital armory, viecles, and other utilities from the enemy. (making the enemy completely helpless in defending itself).
War is unfair, however this IS a game afterall. I believe in making it somewhat equal and fair for both sides.

On a map like costal hammer, it is already a tough mission to get across the water and get flags. Usually the beach is well guarded, and the recon helo could possibly spot you.

However... I still think that pixel aiming is unnecessary, and disruptive gameplay.

I would like to hear you all's opinion on this, and possibly discuss some solutions to this.

I have a few of my own, that I would like to present. Without having any really map modding expirence, I present you these options:

1. Could it be possible to perhaps randomize the cloud patterns on some of the sentitive maps?
- Hereby making it significantly harder for the pixel aimer to get a fixed spot to shoot for.

2. Perhaps move certain objects around to new locations, so the arty would have to learn new positions?
- Hereby forcing the arty guy to learning new positions, or simply give up..

3. Or maybe move the arty to a new location all together, and freeze it's location?
- Placing the artillery in a new spot, would force new spotting, and he wouldn't be able to move the viecle into the preferred location for optimal firing.

I don't know what is possible, or if anybody supports these ideas. Personally I'm just tired of it, and kills alot of game fun for BOTH sides. Having one person camping an arty a full map rounding up a killer score, and disrupting the general gameplay is just.. dumb. And especially when we know the person only are trying to get a good KDR, and have no intentions in really helping their team.

I think artillery should follow the same rules ( ofcourse ), and depend on infantry/etc spotting fo them. As it might have been intended from the get go.. I dont know, if that was the case or not. lol.

In end I guess I can live with it, it dosen't kill my overall gaming experience.. But that's my personal view. I meet alot of fustration in the servers about this, and thought maybe we should talk about it?

What say you ?

-opie
! --- T E A M W O R K - M A K E S - M E - H O R N Y -- !
~~~ A Good Soldier Obeys Without Question, A Good Officer Commands Without Doubt! ~~~
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Pixel Aiming / shooting..

Post by Swanny-CG »

1. no
2. we do
3. if we are going to that much trouble we should just remove it

#s 1 and 2 are facts, #3 is only MY opinion.
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

Yeaa.. I had a feeling #1 was gonna be kinda difficult to do, and I agree on #3 aswell.
But it is just me that have an issue with this pixelaiming stuff, or are there others out there too?

I guess there are no real way around this?
~~~ A Good Soldier Obeys Without Question, A Good Officer Commands Without Doubt! ~~~
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Op .... here ya go .... started by the man himself ... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1472&p=15721&hilit ... ing#p15721
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
RoLnRoCk
United States of America

Post by RoLnRoCk »

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1962

more related reading
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

Ahhh.. I see that guys! >.< Guess I should have done a search first huh? DOH!
Oh well.

-opus