Windows 8.1

Sgt. B
Canada

Re: Windows 8.1

Post by Sgt. B »

I just received my shiny new computer,with the newest in high tech gadgetry. Unfortunately,for me also,it came with windows 8. I've tried everything I could find on the internet to run the cd version of bf 1942,but,no dice. I don't understand why it's not a problem to run for some,and the end of bf 1942 in the next generation of o/s for us others. I don't know if the origin version will work or not-that's my last shot. Or going back to win 7.but idk if win 7 will support the newer hardware.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Sgt. B wrote:Unfortunately,for me also,it came with windows 8. I've tried everything I could find on the internet to run the cd version of bf 1942,but,no dice.
Hey B. For the record, what is the issue that occurs when you install the CD version of Battlefield 1942, or does the issue that occurs when you try to run the CD version of Battlefield 1942?

-Trench
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

No installation problems as far as I see. It happens when I try to run the game and it echoes other peoples-the initial bf screen comes up when starting up,then,just as soon as it seem like it is about to progress to the"ea games...challenge everything" bit-it returns to the desktop with a little black box that quickly disappears...I tried every combo I could come up with off the internet-no luck and no one seems to have a solution or patch ...anyways,I wouldn't have bought this computer had I known it wouldn't run bf-that's why I bought it!!
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Sgt. B wrote:...it returns to the desktop with a little black box that quickly disappears.
Interesting, but can't say I've seen or heard of that, unfortunately. Maybe that's what Flash was getting at the very very beginning (though he didn't mention a black box), but it's none of the failures he's looking at now. Hopefully you do see a different result with the Origin version.

Maybe both you and Flash should post what video card/chipset and driver version are in play here. Flash's is apparently a laptop too since he mentioned not having a CD/DVD drive; maybe there is a particular mobile video chipset or driver in play here that is related to the symptom.

Wait, I think found the link... both you and Flash are flying the Canadian flag. ;)

-Trench
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

HEY!! Trench... Canada is the best country that has crappy weather....and nosy neighbors... ;)

I have windows 8.1 installed windows 8 last year...
I had a hell of a time getting it started aswell...then i realized that my disk was one of the original games(not origin) it needed an update to use the updates..so you have to go to download sites posted on the forums and use the right update...i have 2 disks for 2 comps...so i used the newer disk bought in 2006 or 7 i believe then the updates on ea forums and only then it worked...

in a nut shell....when it says update from#... too # make sure that you have at least that from number.(sry i cant remember what the numbers are) the complete update doesn't work in the first edition at least it didnt for me.

..punkbuster is always wonky but only an issue if you get kicked from game.
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Hey Trench this is my comp-
HP ENVY Phoenix 800-089 Desktop PC Product Specifications
Rye,I've been to every forum I can find on this issue,nothing about downloads or patches-nada. It's not pb either and my disk set is pretty new,bought the 4 disk set about 2 yrs ago.
Yea this computer has got some speed,Im tired of jumping into a heli,freeze,crash-Sgt B is no more lol
i should have bought alienware,lol,it still runs win 7, optional,maybe I still will,and enjoy my new $1500 beer/drink holder
Last edited by Sgt. B on December 2nd, 2013, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Sgt. B wrote:HP ENVY Phoenix 800-089 Desktop PC Product Specifications
Good lord... why the heck did I think you said you had just bought a laptop? I blame Rye.

Good to know, although I'm not expecting that a regular PC video cards like the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645" in this one would be likely to present unique issue opportunities, as compared to the more specialized chipsets or drivers that might get used in a laptop implementation.

-Trench
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

ryeontherocks wrote:in a nut shell....when it says update from#... too # make sure that you have at least that from number.
That makes sense and sounds like good advice. I checked my Battlefield 1942 CDs and they are literally v1.0 from August 2002. So I can vouch for the "1.6 Patch" (battlefield_1942_patch_v1.6.19.zip) being able to update from even the Battlefield 1942 1.0 version up to the 1.6.19 version. And yes, this would be a prerequisite before applying the "1.6 to 1.61b Patch" (battlefield_1942_incremental_patch_v1.6_to_v1.61b.zip) patch in order to get to the latest / last official CD version of Battlefield 1942 on Windows.

-Trench
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Sgt. B wrote: Yea this computer has got some speed,Im tired of jumping into a heli,freeze,crash-Sgt B is no more lol
Sgt B i also had the same issue with lagging out especially when i did well...sigh i would be in first place then i would fly in my helo and then wake up on the ground it still happens sometimes...
its not the game or your pc its your internet connection your router needs to be upgraded probably (unless your getting kicked by punk buster of course then uninstall pb only and reinstall and i didn't use the tanks version either) i found when i bought my new pc i kept crashing and my service provider said i need a docsys3 modem and rogers wants 200 bucks for it for Pete sake...i think your new pc is more efficient...and your old router isn't keeping up..i rebooted everything about 10 times and then it went away on its own...call rogers(if thats who u deal with) and ask them as well.

Trench might be on to something with the video card driver ...i am not a believer in updating what does work but it might be worth a shot.

If you can sgt be get on ts with me and pinhead i will try and remember what else i might of done to get things going better....sry but i have a lot on my mind and i am getting freaking old....sigh (shh dont tell trench)
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

well,im doing a factory reset,gonna try to load the origin version and see where it goes...rye im using telus as my isp,on wifi,want to switch to shaw and plug er rite into the wall but...the new desktop definitely loads alot quicker off the net. So in the meantime.I'll keep using the acer,try a few things to get bf working with win 8 on the new comp-if it doesnt, I might as well give it to my folks for xmas and buy alienware
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

all i am saying is sometimes you look for complicated issues but it might be something stupid like your telus connection, the only way i can deal with these issues is eliminate them one by one....like if you have a friends internet that you can hard wire too...before you start spending money...it might be you wifi settings...hard wire it to by pass your wifi settings with your Ethernet card to see if that does the trick. again i pay 260 bucks a month to rogers and i am not beyond calling them to see what they suggest...you have to understand these guys all made changes to consumption limits and if you want fast speeds you need a better gaming router(directly from your internet provider or one that is highly recommended.) you might be in the same boat with an alienware system as you are now
Pinhead
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Pinhead »

B get on ts if u can then we can walk you through the updates for 42 that you have to have
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Hi Rye, I get what you're saying,this new computer is definitely quicker on the web-same wireless connection-but I couldn't tell you about online play because this win 8 won't freakin run bf 42 dc-Google-"why won't windows 8 run bf1942" and you'll see-it works for some and the rest..
Pin-I'll look for my headset-are the updates for win 8?

$260/mo?!?! wtf rye?
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

ya 260 is a package deal lol it does include tv phone and internet...lets move on to your problem

Sgt B what version of direct x are you using??? u might need to load on direct x 8.1...look it up on package if thats correct it might be 8 or 8.2 or even direct x 9 but make sure you have the right version

i really think this is a microsoft issue and i would be looking at their stuff such as:

making old games work on windows 8.1 and follow what they suggest

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wind ... on-windows

i hope this helps bud....i thought you were on but just played badly sry

BTW i dont believe that it works for some and not others it will and should work for everyone...conflicts are for new programs this is ancient and should work..my 2 cents