Al Nas Flag Limit

Hav3n
United States of America

Al Nas Flag Limit

Post by Hav3n »

This ought to be raised. Just played it. I restarted DC at the end of Gazala, joined Al Nas like 2 mins into the round and red already had 1 flag, and was base raping* which allowed them to easily steal a second.

*which is legal - but I do begrudge the nades thrown at spawn points when ppl aren't even there yet

By the time they had 3, I finally get a flag steal in for blue and the map reaches some semblance of parity. Then they get another and another. Less than 15 mins and the map is over.

Those runs where bases get raped pretty much destroy any chance of playing it for more than a few minutes with only needing 5 flags to win the round. If you had 7, or even better 10 flags, teams could actually counter attack and win back some middle flags spawn points while their base is being raped and start to have a fighting chance. As it is, I rarely see that map last longer than 10-20mins and its over.
A FLYING COW
Canada

Re: Al Nas Flag Limit

Post by A FLYING COW »

Agreed it needs to be upped.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I may be wrong in this but I do not think so. If we up the limit on Al Nas, it will up the limit on ALL CTF maps. And the current rotation has 3 CTF maps so I am not sure if everyone would like to have 3 CTF maps that are more than likely to last a full hour

I have been wrong before so if I am and 3 hra of CTF sounds good to the masses.... so be it. ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Ah. If it ups the limit everywhere, yeah, that could be a bit much. Basrah Nights is fun, but 10 flags would likely make that game last the full hour almost everytime.

What is the other CTF map?

I wonder, is it possible to make Al Nas appear twice in the rotation? I know some of us really love it, but I feel like there is more than a statistical significance to the number of people that sign up while its running.

Occasionally, a round will have enough people that is evenly matched that stealing the flag is quite hard and it can last a while. Seems though with few enough on that a handful of skilled players can shut down uncap spawn points. The round the elicited my post had Default, Logic and I can't remember who else. 1-2 other really good players and they were just raping our main. Logic was mining every humvee so you couldn't zip away, and then bunny hopping saika whoring. :) It just gets maddening when you can't really do anything about it because there are only like 8 ppl on each team and so guys are just seemingly getting killed immediately upon spawn and the round is over in like 10 mins because we get behind 2 or 3 flags during that period.
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by S.O.S »

We have LV CTF in rotation now. It's just as good as Al Nas with added flavor of helos and ATVs.

I remember the game Haven talked about. It's all coming down to the number of players. If there were more, with the scattered spawning points in main, some camping won't shut down one team that easily. Personally, I don't feel like to join when there are say less than 15 or so ppl on.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I agree that it gets VERY frustrating. I for one LOVE that map. I have always felt if we change the flag limit from 5 to say 10 ... well its not going to change the way the game is played, which to me is the biggest problem, its just going to prolong the whooping. So if they are kicking your ass for 10 minutes at a 5 flag limit , well you are just going to get your ass kicked for 20 at a 10 flag limit.

That's my .02 but I will say the thing I love about CTF gameplay is it requires teamwork. And I am sure that for you, the lack of teamwork is more frustrating then the flag limit. Reason being is I KNOW there are times where you may have 10 player per side and only 2 or three if you are lucky, are actively trying to cap the flag and keep the middle flags to your color while the other 7 or 8 are sitting with the 50 or PKM,s and watching you run off and come back after you die 30 seconds later. *That* is was irritates me.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Well, I'm not one to talk strategy too much since I'm a rather freestyle player. (you'd never know that from my in game rants)

However, I do feel that the "whooping" is in phases and you can claw out of it because teams almost always overextend. Just by virtue of the fact that people are in your main means that if you kill them, it'll take them some time to get back there always enable you to slowly but surely take out direct fire threats, even if it takes a few spawns.

So, I dunno. I've been on the flip side too, where my team wins quickly and its a rather empty, shallow victory. Sometimes guys that have what would be the 5th flag don't score simply because they know it will end the round. :?
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Hav3n wrote:Well, I'm not one to talk strategy too much since I'm a rather freestyle player. (you'd never know that from my in game rants)

No argument from me on that line LOLOL ;)
Southern Cross
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Japan

Post by Southern Cross »

I think 5 flag limit is appropriate. I was playing on that time, many good players stacked on one side accidentally. It happens sometimes on every map... Al nas is a good map, and I understand what Haven think, but the game is lasting too long when many players defend the flag. I don't feel like playing 1 hour on same map without any chances to grab the flag.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

A good point as well. When people camp their own flag, it becomes tough. However, that is when the strategy kicks in and so you grab a 50 cal and start picking them off as your team tries to dash in and grab the flag. :)
fromage

Post by fromage »

I vote for 7. I'd rather spend an hour playing this map versus an hour of Dustbowl.... The dynamics are completely different and more engaging. If the game seems one sided or too hard, the other team needs to step up their game. I would go so far as to say that it forces players to bring their A game.

I will end on this note. Nighty wears a manzier during Al Nas and I've seen Sarge snap his bra strap. ;)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Also just a technical point that if "the game is lasting too long when many players defend the flag .. 1 hour on same map without any chances to grab the flag", it wouldn't matter whether the limit is 5 or 10 when that is happening because the score per hour is 0 or near 0.

On the other hand, having a limit of 5 versus 10 does make a difference when by the time your half-AFK team wakes up, the other team already ran 3 flags through you and the map is about to be wasted. Which is the point; we're not saying a team doesn't just suck sometimes and is going to get run over regardless, but the map is just too sensitive to even a temporary imbalance. Rather than the map being over in 10 minutes, doubling the cap limit at least provides double the chances to keep us in the map for a more fun length of time.

-Trench
fromage

Post by fromage »

Trench wrote:Also just a technical point that if "the game is lasting too long when many players defend the flag .. 1 hour on same map without any chances to grab the flag", it wouldn't matter whether the limit is 5 or 10 when that is happening because the score per hour is 0 or near 0.

On the other hand, having a limit of 5 versus 10 does make a difference when by the time your half-AFK team wakes up, the other team already ran 3 flags through you and the map is about to be wasted. Which is the point; we're not saying a team doesn't just suck sometimes and is going to get run over regardless, but the map is just too sensitive to even a temporary imbalance. Rather than the map being over in 10 minutes, doubling the cap limit at least provides double the chances to keep us in the map for a more fun length of time.

-Trench
+1

CrAtE

Post by CrAtE »

I would like with a higher limit. Al Nas seems to be by far the favorite map on the rotation. And it is sometimes over too soon. It would even be cool to have it in the rotation twice. Nobody says "ohh yes Gazala is next!". BTW tonight I played a few maps just waiting for AL NAS, and when its turn came up after Gazala, the server crashed, the admins that were on didnt come back and Gazala reloaded. The server got slightly repopulated, but everyone was waiting for AL Nas to run, but surprise! the next map was not Al Nas anymore, it was Bocage Day 2. So alot of ppl left. :cry:
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

Server seems to crash alot lately....

besides that...

keep the flag limit...is there away then to restart map say after 6 people?

or after 1 minute?

seems to me that the people that get in the map first are in a race to grab flag and not everyone loads as fast.

So by the time people get in...someones running away with flag...

al nas
bocages
al nas day2

insert one more....
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

This is a close quarter map. Neither C4 or grenades should be used. Mine the routes and stay on your bellies to await a 50 zipping through your head.
Last edited by Sarge 1/68th Armor on January 5th, 2014, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Agreed Sarge. Although I do not mind the grenades too much.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

C4 = Fun/funny

Grenades not so much...

Mines only if you see them coming and its a race to see if you cant get your mine out before they run ya over.

Or hide them in the bushes or around back of building....

And the cars go into the ground so u cant mine the parked ones and let them grab flag without resistance.
(they always think, they sneaky and getting away with something and then....BOOM!......lmao.)

Thats why your own vehicles need to get mines on them from time to time.

Bottom line be sneaky about your mine placement

:D :D