Server is rarely over 50% full. What Gives?

Hav3n
United States of America

Server is rarely over 50% full. What Gives?

Post by Hav3n »

Why is this server not packed to the gills? Is it the age of the game? The lack of ongoing support or punkbuster?

Desert Combat is probably the best game I have ever played. I should probably "get out" more, but seriously. This game is so, so good. I suppose you could by extension say BF1942 is essentially the best game. But in Desert Combat, the diversity of FPS, armor, jets, helicopters, etc...is so, so compelling.

I'm surprised that with so few servers out there, this one isn't full more. Its like there is a strangely solid base of veteran players keeping it around 20 players on each evening or so.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Server is rarely over 50% full. What Gives?

Post by Nightstalker »

Yea its just us older farts I guess. It is 11 years old, so I would say its still doing pretty well. And of course the later BF series crap did not help the population either.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
A FLYING COW
Canada

Post by A FLYING COW »

I think a lot of it has to do with the time of year. A lot of people now are out and about Christmas shopping, weekends are usually busier, nights are primetime around 7-12pm.

This is at least what I've noticed.

Also, my hard drive went on my computer so I'll hopefully install BF again soon and I'll be back!
hoppin bob
United States of America

Post by hoppin bob »

I built a new machine and lost my 1942 discs so most of my time is on BF4 now. If not for the new comp I would still be on there quite often.
General Lee

Post by General Lee »

I wish it was like the old days when dc first came out. Alot of ppl were playing then and all the servers were full. I geuss most ppl just moved on. FKERS
fromage

Post by fromage »

A FLYING COW wrote:I think a lot of it has to do with the time of year. A lot of people now are out and about Christmas shopping, weekends are usually busier, nights are primetime around 7-12pm.

This is at least what I've noticed.

Also, my hard drive went on my computer so I'll hopefully install BF again soon and I'll be back!
HEFFER!!! Been wondering where you've been. Hurry up, it's just not the same without you!

ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i believe its a combination of things, 5 years ago when i was part of day2freaks we all thought the game was toast, but new games come and go and when the bf4 burns out they all come back to this, there is only a hand full of old fart helo pilots like me.

the problem i believe is most of us old farts dont encourage new young players with little skill to play on ea, lets face it i get tarred and feathered and i have been playing this for a while, the lil punks want to win so they go with new stuff on a level playing field, i say its way way more fun to play a bunch of cool old farts then a packed server of people constantly whining about stupid things or getting into pissing matches with clans....thats why i am Rye on the rocks period no clan, no mob connections, just hanging out and learning how much i really still do suck at this game....but if it were easy to master jets, or helos or tactics then it would be bf4 with lots of eye candy and no substance.

Viva la Old farts
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Damn good post Rye, well said bud.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

The server also smells a bit strongly of ammonia / cat urine these days, too. Not so noticeable when you're there every day, but when you take a break for a few days and then come back, you get a sense of what it must be like for first-time visitors.

Maybe we need to put some Febreeze plug-ins on the bigger sandboxes like El Al.

-Trench
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

When you find out where the first timers have gone off to, let me know so I can go play on a full server.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Who said those servers are full?

I think Haven's back arched when he read Trench's comment.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Nightstalker wrote:I think Haven's back arched when he read Trench's comment.
Yes. I was peeing.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

haven does have a point the vanilla servers do attract alot of players but dc with its downloads are lagging, some servers are posting origin and cd 1942 in there names and i assume its a server thang as opposed to client download, are you guys doing that? or is it not possible? i am confident that if some new players will play dc once they know what its all about
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

I still dont understand why more than 50 percent of the servers are a dark grey for me.......is tht the origin version? Is it the exact opposite for them?

some servers have it listed they have 20 plyrs in and when u join its empty.....

Lag is always an issue.........
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

From my understanding, in order to play with the Origin version on a server you *still* have to have a valid key that came from a CD. Unless it is an Origin based server. Origin is 1.612 and as you know we are running CD version 1.61b. For instance, I am using the Origin version right now but used the key from my CD. If they come out with a patch for the CD version and make it 1.612 then I would say we would have no problem. Origin, CD, who cares just play.

We have tried mixing in some vanilla maps but most people complain. Coral Sea is playing right now in fact. I can guarantee you will hear, "WTH is this, I came here to play DC not this crap" I honestly enjoy having a vanilla map thrown in from time to time. We played Omaha vanilla a while back and I had a blast.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

cool thanks night, i wasnt sure if there was a new patch, all i am assuming is that alot of newbies with the origin only might not even know about desert combat or we even exisit and if they see ea on there they might want to check it out...but if they are blacked out like zanshin said they are lost...just tring to expand the base of players thats all...

btw vanilla bf is for girls....with big zits and buck teeth that live on a commune :)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Sorry man if my post sounded wrong or condescending. Hell, I could be reading your post wrong right now and putting my emotions in your text. I have been busy as hell and the wife came home from shopping bitching about how I did this and that wrong, soooo, I am not in the greatest of moods right now.

I truly appreciate any and all input on expanding our player base.

Oh and just because you get your ass beat in vanilla because there is lack of helos does not mean its for girls, it just means you may need to MAN up and broaden your skills ;) :P
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

lmao...night i was just kidding about vanilla...u now know i am gonna pick on that for a while....;-)
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I know on both you were lesson as was I ;)
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

Hiya, I still think you should put in some "themed" maps to attract different types of players back to the game....and follow with some standard maps.

Al nas brings em in....was that modded?

Lost village with the dune buggies and helos...ctf is way more fun....was that modded to be like that?

If they were modded.....what was?

Ty
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

The only thing I know that was done to either map, is Al Nas has the Stryker removed. Thank God for that too.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I was on in the last week or two and Al Nas came up with Bradleys, BMPs and the Stryker. Loved it.

It would be cool if that is in the cycle as well as the traditional Humvee/Technical Al Nas.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

You like that version?????? You are a sick individual. :P

I honestly hate that version. IMHO, the armor ruins that map at least the CTF version.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Nightstalker wrote:You like that version?????? You are a sick individual. :P

I honestly hate that version. IMHO, the armor ruins that map at least the CTF version.
I have mixed feelings on Al Nas Day 2. It's tough enough with the RPGs, PKMs and landmines, however, it does make you up your game. I wouldn't mind removing Kharkov and replacing it with this, and modding it with only one light armored vehicle and keeping the usual trucks/humvees.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i like al nas the way it is...only problem is it can turn into a spawn kill circus when one team gets a strong hold. never played day 2 so i don't know if that solves that or makes it worse....
that being said is it possible to have a al nas nite once in a while?? maybe 2 or 3 different versions?? Itax did a backwards version of Omaha beach that was weird but did have its charms once you get used to it, i figure itax if hes up for it can modd al nas the same way....just a thought

even a vanilla version for the girls...cough nite