Team Switching

Hav3n
United States of America

Team Switching

Post by Hav3n »

Can we get a clear articulation of the rules surrounding team switching. I got banned recently for switching back to a team I was autoswitched away from on Al Nas. Had scored a flag for my team...felt fairly determined to get the red team to win. Got autoswitched, got killed and switched right back to red. Minutes later, I was banned for 24hrs. No explanation, no warning, no communication.

So, apparently this is a thing. Well, what do you know. I'm on Al Nas again. My team scores, I'm playing rather well with about a 2:1 ratio and poof, within a minute or so of score to put us up 1:0 with about 15mins left, I get autoswitched. Except, this time, shortly after the switch, the team I was switched from now is down 1 player. I could have switched back with a clear conscience. Or could I??

Can I switch back to that team? Do I need to put my finger to the wind on the mood of playing admins? Is this a grey area? Is it black and white?

Autoswitch often autoswitches and doesn't end up solving anything that wouldn't have just worked itself out in a couple of minutes.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Re: Team Switching

Post by Nightstalker »

Play where the server puts you.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Haven, I thought I would or maybe should give you a little more than just my previous response. I think my common quote, "play where the server puts you" solves pretty much everything and keeps everyone out of the Unban Request thread for that ruling.

I do believe that there are a few circumstances that people are allowed to switch. This is not to sound like an ego/power trip, but I believe it should be under the directives of the admin. Ex. I see Player Selfish come in, he only plays red. He joins and the server puts him on blue, he switches to red, teams are now off and now Hav3n gets autoswitched to blue because Selfish HAD to play red. Seeing what took place (HOPEFULLY I saw it) I am going to tell you to go back to red and Selfish can go back to blue.

Now this is my opinion and others may not agree as Selfish switched at the beginning when he joined. So understand this is how I will handle the rule.

Again I find it best, for the overall integrity of the rule, to let the server decide where you are to play for the beginning (read as soon as you log in) to the end.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Ok, cool. Thanks for the clarity.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

My take on it is if you switching unbalances the teams in number and/or in skill then you get held accountable.

The and/or part is at the discretion of folks we trusted enough to make admins. Lots of folks don't appreciate the lack of a black and white rule but I believe that admins are here to help keep things running smoothly for all on the server. We don't always do it perfectly, but that is our goal.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

IMHO,,,,if someone switches back cuz they want to reap their hard work.....fine.....give it 10 seconds and it will rebalance out.....now if they are switching for other reasons then,,,,,thats different.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

zanshin1 wrote:IMHO,,,,if someone switches back cuz they want to reap their hard work.....fine.....give it 10 seconds and it will rebalance out.....now if they are switching for other reasons then,,,,,thats different.
Yeah, but who is going to decide "who's hard work is worthy of being allowed to switch, and who's isn't?" Yes, "it will balance out"... which means SOMEONE ELSE is going to be forced to switch, if not the person who was already forced to switch. The new person forced to switch won't like it either, etc.

To me, server auto-balance is what makes it "random". No one likes being switched after having spent time chasing goals for the other team, but it happens to everyone, "it can happen to anyone", and you move on fighting for your new team. (Or, if you just needed a reason to disconnect, you disconnect instead.)

But "play where the server puts you" is at least "random" in that you don't really know who will die first after auto-balance engages. It doesn't make sense to say "but that doesn't apply to me" and forcing yourself to switch back, because it just forces the same pain onto someone else.

If you're allowed to reject it, then everyone is allowed to reject it, and where does that leave us.

-Trench
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

My point is that people jump in and out......and some people dont care if they get switched.....I always here someone going....teams.......and its been 10 seconds.....you can survive that no problem......if it goes on for a min or 2 then auto balance can kick in......people need to time to join......sometimes teams get unbalanced cuz of kicks(ping, admin, minus score...etc).....8 v 10 doesnt mean unbalanced as far as good gameplay either.......Im sure fluffy and dabr would prefer more on the opposing team than on theirs...lol.

So if someone feels passionate about staying red then let them....and someone else may join or step up and acccept the switch.....

main point give it enough time before forcing the issue....

"you know damn well there are more than 2 pits in a pear"....lmao....i forgot what thats from. Sandler?

TY
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

What is your solution to a map like Bocage where everyone wants to be in an Apache? Well except for SOS in the Shilka? Who are you going to say sorry to, you have to go red? I know you love the Apache so what would you do if you have been playing for a while doing well on blue, I join, switch to blue because I prefer the Apache(who doesn't) and cause you to get auto'd to red. Is that fair to you or anyone? I would vote no.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i agree with admins i really hate getting switched mid stream because some knuckle head wants to be in Apache..ot on winning side...the only reason i ever switched,(not in ea of course) was to balance teams only .. period..i never go to the winning or stacked side..

but if you commit suicide when auto balance is on and you get switched is that team switching??
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

To answer the question, I would say no. But why not just ask, "Hey admin, X team is short, care if I switch?"

Hell, just the other day I asked when teams are off to see if they wanted me to move (most times they do because I am normally near the bottom) Or maybe someone really wants to be on the other side. Ex. (IRA)Basrah lovers his RPG or the cat people want to be clanned together.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

As a spokeswhisker for the cat people, I assure you, we are fine playing a-pawed. Er, ahem. Apart.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Hav3n wrote:As a spokeswhisker for the cat people, I assure you, we are fine playing a-pawed. Er, ahem. Apart.
I approve this message. Sponsored by the benevolent society of Cat Pantsians.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

"What is your solution to a map like Bocage where everyone wants to be in an Apache?"

lol....... :D :D

add an apache to red:):)
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

but i do play on red if need be tho.....
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

zanshin1 wrote:"What is your solution to a map like Bocage where everyone wants to be in an Apache?"

lol....... :D :D

add an apache to red:):)
;)
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

ryeontherocks wrote:but if you commit suicide when auto balance is on and you get switched is that team switching??
Can't be, since /you/ didn't switch yourself, the server did. In fact, you can't even guarantee that you /would/ switch: If someone else did the same as you at the same time, you might just end up with a "-2" and still on the same team you were on.

But if you were still concerned, try just running out into traffic or into someone else's bullet stream. :)

-Trench
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

fromage wrote:
Hav3n wrote:As a spokeswhisker for the cat people, I assure you, we are fine playing a-pawed. Er, ahem. Apart.
Actions speak louder than words.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Nightstalker wrote:
fromage wrote:
Actions speak louder than words.
Eat crow. :6:

http://www.ea117dcfanfavorites.com/view ... =12&t=4917
Pathfinder
United States of America

Post by Pathfinder »

Hmmmm....where have I heard this all before? Oh, wait... .;-)

Reasons are reasons. I like Swanny's reply...if it's disruptive, it's a no-no.....switching teams remains a risk you take, based on the outcome of your choice to do so. IOW, if you catch a ban..you earned it...DAMHIK...;-)

Lately, I ONLY switch if the teams are unbalanced. Usually at the start, rarely in the middle. These days, if I get pissed for whatever reason, including autoswitch when I've captured ten flags and the team I'm switched to sucks eggs, I just leave for a while...let autoswitch work its magic again, then return again in a while. I have been often surprised at the result...quite often the "sucky" team I was trying to get away from has had some other keen players "repurposed", and have straightened their act out. So, this approach (for me) has been pretty rewarding.

I realize leaving abruptly creates angst for those that are then also switched, but my experience shows it's been mostly for the better. Besides, hard to be banned if you're not playing... ;-)

Path
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

LOLOL, Path, you could have saved your finger tips by simply typing, That damn Nightstalker. ;)