Bans

Hav3n
United States of America

Re: Bans

Post by Hav3n »

Thanks for the thought Opus. You've got a nice level headed approach to addressing stuff.

I would counter that I'm addressing the consistency of enforcement, and not the rules themselves.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Hav3n wrote:I would counter that I'm addressing the consistency of enforcement, and not the rules themselves.
For what it's worth, that's what I see you're doing, too. But that doesn't change that it still seems like you're "demanding to be taught instead of enforced" about something that is already obvious, and I suspect is already obvious even to you.

My lesser analogy compared to Opus' is simply driving down the highway. The speed limit is clearly posted, 50 km/h, and no one can debate what the rule is. Now on any given day, everyone is going 55 km/h or even a bit faster, including the police cruiser driving in the lane next to you. Everyone technically deserves a ticket because of what the rule is, but there is leniency in enforcement.

You can even drive going more than 55 km/h right past a police cruiser stopped at the side of the road "in full enforcement mode", and he won't pull over every single vehicle going faster than 50 km/h. Sometimes it's just due to leniency, and sometimes its because they're busy doing something else and happen to miss a blatant offender. But "going faster than 50 km/h" is what you will get a ticket for, if and when you do get pulled over, because that's the rule that was being broken.

The flashy red sports car that just can't help but blatantly offend (a "SOFA KING CAR", if you will) and also the car the officer recognizes because they've pulled it over for the same offense several times before, receives less leniency than the casual users of the road who might occasionally break the rule but don't flaunt it.

So I would disagree that there is anything wrong, anything unusual, or anything impractical about the enforcement seen occurring on the server. If I walked onto the server and yelled "f****ng f*****ts", I would know that a ban for my actions is /exactly/ what I'm risking by doing that, whether said ban /happens/ that particular time on that particular day or not. Even if I had no history in doing so, and even if I got away with it nine times out of ten. Same as I know /exactly/ what I'm risking when I drive 55 km/h instead of the posted speed limit, not withstanding how commonplace that action is.

And yes, I have been banned before for telling someone about what I deemed to be flaming homosexual attributes of their gameplay.

-Trench
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Thanks for the comments Trench. They do lend some perspective.