Bans

Hav3n
United States of America

Bans

Post by Hav3n »

Can we do something about the banning?

I've gotten a ban dropped on me twice now in the last month I think and its not for stuff I'm abusing or a repeat offender on.

I really have no idea what is over the line and what isn't anymore. I think its just the fact its me, the banning admin feels like its ok.

I drop the F bomb and say faggots in chat in anger and poof, banned. I see that the people I was addressing that attacked me as I took off from red main were still playing and not banned. Very established players doing something, "they should know better than to do." At least I would think. But like I said, nothing makes sense anymore.

I've played here 6 years. The server has automatic kicking settings. Can we just write in 1 f word and the word faggot into the game to boot you if it is not acceptable by the server? If I knew something was worthy of banning you, I WOULDN'T DO IT.

Talk to me. Teach me. There is a forum here FULL of deliberation about rules because even the admins can't agree half the time on what constitutes what. I am begging you. Just stop the blindside bans.
JagdTurkey

Re: Bans

Post by JagdTurkey »

THIS
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by S.O.S »

You got a 1-day ban for inappropriate language. I didn't issue it though. Being here for 6 years, you are more than a regular and should have known ALL the rules here. As a repetitive offender, you don't have the luxury of getting a warning before the boot. It's pretty much zero tolerance for situation like yours. I won't be surprised that you might get a longer vacation next time. One suggestion, don't let your emotion run your game no matter who's playing, be cool and keep your fingers on the mouse and WASD keys. Doing that, I'm sure no admin will show you the door anymore.
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

S.O.S wrote:You got a 1-day ban for inappropriate language. I didn't issue it though. Being here for 6 years, you are more than a regular and should have known ALL the rules here. As a repetitive offender, you don't have the luxury of getting a warning before the boot. It's pretty much zero tolerance for situation like yours. I won't be surprised that you might get a longer vacation next time. One suggestion, don't let your emotion run your game no matter who's playing, be cool and keep your fingers on the mouse and WASD keys. Doing that, I'm sure no admin will show you the door anymore.
Thumbs up, and couldnt agree more.

The rules aren't complicated, infact they are pretty straight forward. Beyond that, common sense kicks in. I myself are more into talking to people, instead of hittin' the kick button. I want to keep people in the server, and explain the individual player what to do and not to do. Though I probably should be more strict, I find the pedagogical approach at times more effective. Don't get me wrong though, I will issue kicks and bans if necessary. Regular players do NOT get any form of special treatment, infact as SOS mentioned. They should be aware of the rules, as compared to a new joined player.

But yes, keep your composure. If the game upsets you that much, then it's a sign - you need a break. Take 5 come back, and stay away of the chat button. ;)

-opie
! --- T E A M W O R K - M A K E S - M E - H O R N Y -- !
~~~ A Good Soldier Obeys Without Question, A Good Officer Commands Without Doubt! ~~~
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

S.O.S wrote:You got a 1-day ban for inappropriate language. I didn't issue it though. Being here for 6 years, you are more than a regular and should have known ALL the rules here. As a repetitive offender, you don't have the luxury of getting a warning before the boot. It's pretty much zero tolerance for situation like yours. I won't be surprised that you might get a longer vacation next time. One suggestion, don't let your emotion run your game no matter who's playing, be cool and keep your fingers on the mouse and WASD keys. Doing that, I'm sure no admin will show you the door anymore.

THIS
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

So, to clarify, teamspeak is anything goes? But typed chat is zero tolerance?
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

Hav3n wrote:So, to clarify, teamspeak is anything goes? But typed chat is zero tolerance?
No. The rules apply for the teamspeak server as well. I am rarely on teamspeak, but as far as I can remember we have enforced "Keeping a good tone". Should this not be the case now, then this should be corrected.
You always have the option to report someone to an admin, and the issue will be taken care of.

One thing is to have a good time, enjoying a drink or be in a "prank" mood. However, one should always respect other people. ( as in real life ). Keep a good tone, if not? Stay out of the teamspeak server.
There are no need for, calling names, use profanity, or constantly mock other players.

It's our job and duty as admin to ensure everything goes down fair, and that people have good time in our servers, forums and teamspeak.

-opie
~~~ A Good Soldier Obeys Without Question, A Good Officer Commands Without Doubt! ~~~
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

It's exasperating because instead of my time here as a "regular" meaning something and resulting in relationships or something where there would be an opportunity to berate me as a peer to "know better," and then boot as necessary, I'm just banned point blank without so much as a whiff of communicative condemnation.

I don't know if I'm so far beyond recall in some of your minds that I'm not worth your time to engage, or if some of you might try to treat me like a fellow player.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

What! No one is special here. I am devastated. My mom says I'm special. Faggot is harsh. I find a clean simple fag can work in special circumstances, ( I know it sounds like I'm praising Nighty) but I mean the word.

THIS

:P

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Not asking for leniency, just that you guys talk to me.

EDIT: Oh - I was in draft for so long and finally just cut it down to this. But I see Nightstalker's post is gone.
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

And we argue, that we shouldn't HAVE to "talk / tell" to you. Apparently you have a history, and maybe your not receptive to "talk" - and therefore require action before you understand. Action were taken, and you should learn from that. If you continously commit the same mistakes, then the error is on your side. We can't keep "talking" to you about it, you have to acknowledge, learn, and change.

We aren't nannies.. We're admins, here to enforce a set of rules - which is already place. They are there for a reason, so just follow them?! Problem Free :)
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

opus wrote:And we argue, that we shouldn't HAVE to talk to you. Apparently you have a history, and maybe your not receptive to "talk" - therefore require action before you understand. Action were taken, and you should learn from that. If you continously commit the same mistakes, then the error is on your side. We can't keep "talking" to you about it, you have to acknowledge, learn, and change.
You have no history with me, and yet you assume:

1) I have a history with no personal knowledge of it
2) I may not be receptive to talk, despite that fact you've never talked to me, along with any other admin regarding rules in game (maybe AIDS from years ago was the only one that tried to talk/explain to me in game) - or give me a boot for 1 min and say "I'll PM you on forums to explain" or something akin to that
3) That I continuously commit the same mistakes, even though I point out these bans aren't things I'm regularly getting into hot water for or consistently breaking rules on, yet a ban gets dropped on me, which I term a blindside ban because there is no consistency or regularity of enforcement
4) That there has been an effort to keep "talking" to me about it when said talking is not happening, there was no escalation phase - I'm just on the shitlist

I wonder how many of your fellow admins share this exact list of assumptions and opinions of me based on the circuitously damning cycle of getting the label of a repeat offender. Thus each ban justifies the next, and the next....

The judgement of my actions is not always off base, but as a whole, the general opinion of me is erroneously lopsided.
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

Hav3n wrote:
opus wrote:And we argue, that we shouldn't HAVE to talk to you. Apparently you have a history, and maybe your not receptive to "talk" - therefore require action before you understand. Action were taken, and you should learn from that. If you continously commit the same mistakes, then the error is on your side. We can't keep "talking" to you about it, you have to acknowledge, learn, and change.
You have no history with me, and yet you assume:

1) I have a history with no personal knowledge of it
2) I may not be receptive to talk, despite that fact you've never talked to me, along with any other admin regarding rules in game (maybe AIDS from years ago was the only one that tried to talk/explain to me in game) - or give me a boot for 1 min and say "I'll PM you on forums to explain" or something akin to that
3) That I continuously commit the same mistakes, even though I point out these bans aren't things I'm regularly getting into hot water for or consistently breaking rules on, yet a ban gets dropped on me, which I term a blindside ban because there is no consistency or regularity of enforcement
4) That there has been an effort to keep "talking" to me about it when said talking is not happening, there was no escalation phase - I'm just on the shitlist

I wonder how many of your fellow admins share this exact list of assumptions and opinions of me based on the circuitously damning cycle of getting the label of a repeat offender. Thus each ban justifies the next, and the next....

The judgement of my actions is not always off base, but as a whole, the general opinion of me is erroneously lopsided.
I have no history with you - nor do I need too. But I have the right to assume and explain things, on the grounds of mentioned facts. I only wish to inlight you, explain the matter and help you understand. This has nothing to do with your personality, but the mistakes you made, bans, and what you exspect from us.
Now who is assuming? ;)

I don't think anyone here has anything in particular against you, other than the mistakes you've made. We aren't bullies, we don't keep shitlists.. well maybe we do for cheaters.. ;)
(maybe AIDS from years ago was the only one that tried to talk/explain to me in game)
You say AIDS made an attempt in the past? It dosen't matter if the mistakes you make today differs from those in the past, it's still history. If you commit a series of mistakes (even if it's just 2), then it's a history.
SOS: "Being here for 6 years, you are more than a regular and should have known ALL the rules here. As a repetitive offender, you don't have the luxury of getting a warning before the boot."
Point being, you should know better. 6 years of playing in our server, committed previous offenses. Still asking to receive guidance concerning rules? That is what I mean with being nannies..

There are rules in this community, server, forum, teamspeak. Those are to be followed, follow them and you are good. Don't follow them, we enforce them and you face the consequences. You can then ask an admin to explain how, what, when, etc. Then it's exspected you learn from it and follow them in the future.

If you have questions about rules, then contact us - and we will explain.

For the record, I don't judge.. you or anybody else. I am merely trying to explain to you the procedures, and why you are receiving the reactions your getting. No one hates you, just want you to follow the rules like everybody else. If you have questions, or don't understand them? Ask away..
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

This topic again? I can't see how many interpretations to our simple rules are out there. One is obviously the Golden Rule (do unto others....) The second in a nut shell, follow all rules. I seem to have a good time and make off handed remarks at times. Never have been banned or kicked except for having my own helo land on me when I bailed out and adding up those tk's :lol: We just closed a topic about rules and what's, what. Here we go again. Haven, fuck will never be accepted in game and I guess using faggot and its intention could get a coin toss for crossing the line. I know when and how to use my vocabulary. Its never in anger, always for a laugh and I think that's why my ears don't get pinned back. Ask Nightstalker, poor guy. There are some who push the gray area of the rules to the limit...gonna piss of a admin, get banned and then complain. Love the AIDS reference..lol. If someone is pissing you off PM a admin, trying to get your point across in game chat just makes that person antagonize you even more. Be the bigger man. In life its always the second punch that gets you in trouble.

NS is still a fag. :15: oops.

Sarge

With Great Speed
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Hav3n wrote:Not asking for leniency, just that you guys talk to me.

EDIT: Oh - I was in draft for so long and finally just cut it down to this. But I see Nightstalker's post is gone.

Yea I deleted it shortly after I wrote it as it seems pointless. You guys know the rules, yet as of late, most of the issues stem from the <CP> people, "regulars." Yet, even after the countless talks, nothing really seems to sink in. Seems its nothing more than you, Cheese, and Jagd chiming in to back each other up. Why Jagd felt the need to say anything this time I have no idea as he has not been banned in a long time to my knowledge. And even when he was, he and I had a long talk on TS and *thought* we had come to an understanding. So even as much as I like to talk, I am realizing it may be wasting valuable air. I guess it would be better used up saying fuck and faggot. Of course that would be following the "BE RESPECTFUL" rule.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Pinhead
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Pinhead »

i banned you for 1 day if you need to use a word use idiot or something not fag or faggot. as for ts ya we do curse but thats as far as it goes
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

this video reminded me of the struggle of <CP> folk and admins (and im not implying either are children...it was just a funny vid)

everyone is required to follow server rules, including admins.....

does the server have a lil text reminder for new comers, to visit this sight so they can read the rules? (i cant remember if it does or not)
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Pinhead wrote:i banned you for 1 day if you need to use a word use idiot or something not fag or faggot. as for ts ya we do curse but thats as far as it goes
Ok.

Did you follow up on Fluffy and Zanshin for attacking my mig over red main?
Pinhead
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Pinhead »

yes i did
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I think part of what bothers me about the whole affair is that enforcement seems so arbitrary.

If I swooped in and attacked an sa3, then swung around to try to kill the mig taking off....and ultimately died in the death bubble. Or if I flew the AH6 over the uncap main and shot down a damaged mig....

I just can't see myself staying in the server.

Does this seem normal to you?

Or is Opus misinformed on the lack of shit lists?
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

Scenario:

You decide for some vacation, so you go across the state and into a new city.
"Welcome To Banana City".

The politicians in Banana city came up with a set of rules a long time ago, and the Laws are enforced my the Police (not the band..)

You spend a couple of days drinking, enjoying yourself. But suddenly you are out of money, and decide to rob an old man. In the process, you accidently KILL that old man. A witness see you doing it, and report it to the police. The police find you at the local motel, arrests you. You are charged with murder, among many other things and put to trial. You end up in Jail for the next 15 years...

You committed a crime, and you pay the price. You tried to argue your case with the police, but there is nothing you can do. Too much evidence, you're screwed.

Banana City = EA117 server
Police = Admins
Jail = Ban

Follow the law in Banana City, and you won't get arrested. If you don't like the laws in Banana City? Stay away from Banana City...

The rules as such, are not up for discussion. They are put in place, and enforced by the admins. If you do not like the rules, don't play in our server. But if you decide to stay, all we ask - is that you follow them. If you follow them, there won't be any trouble.

If you don't understand them? Ask us, and we will explain.
Don't like jail? Don't commit the crime!
Admins here use their sparetime, gametime, to administrate the server, forums, teamspeak to ensure everybody have a good time. It's not a job, it's people volunteering to help.

- Good luck with whatever you decide.

opus
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Banana City? Lmao. Wonder how it smells.

With Great Speed
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

Sarge 1/68th Armor wrote:Banana City? Lmao. Wonder how it smells.
Like bananas... duuuh :)
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

I hear the Mayor is a Platain.

With Great Speed
ButtBreathSenior

Post by ButtBreathSenior »

This whole thread brings me back to one of my favorite sayings to my wife.....I can explain it to you but can't understand it for you...:)...and NS...not all CP's are bad.....LOL.