The vague "Chat Spam" rule that is.

fromage

The vague "Chat Spam" rule that is.

Post by fromage »

So, over the past few days. All was well. Admins and cheesers, all delighting in joyous CatPantsian frivoloties of teamwork and gameplay.

The midnight air seemed to buzz with the harmonious flow of good cheer. Looking back, the "Chat Spam" issue seemed like ancient history. Yeah, they said don't make it excessive. Ok. I'll follow that rule, I'm in it to win it.

To quote thee, SOS.
I've been really amazed how hard it is to educate a few seemingly smart ppl about a simple rule. I've said this many times and looks I need to say it again: EA117 is a GAMING server, not a chat room. The keyword is: EXCESSIVE. Sure it's not a problem when you greet your friends, organize a game play or express your emotions with wow, lol, ns, etc.
I asked, well, what is "Chat Spam". Got a few various answers and then one humorous post from Opus.

According to Opus example, here was "Chat Spam". Hmmm, ok, that makes sense.
opus wrote:
fromage wrote:

....To clarify, it isn't that I'm shocked or think it's a clean slate or that I'm better than anyone here. Yes, it's their server and their rules. I have no issue with that. Don't TK, ok. Don't glitch, ok. Don't attack main, no problem! Don't "chat spam"...what's defined as "chat spam"...*crickets*..."just don't do it...whatever IT is.
Ok.. here we go:

Regular / Normal Chit Chat: :)

[Allies] Rye_on_the_Rocks: common
[Global] JagdTurkey<CP>: caw
[Global] lolololololol: sry man
[Global] opus: atleast I have rye
[Allies] Rye_on_the_Rocks: np
[Allies] lolololololol: ^Q^
[Allies] Rye_on_the_Rocks: ftk
[Global] Vinyard, Derick: Uhhh and Default...
[Global] opus: what da
[Global] lolololololol: : P
[Global] opus: niceshot!
[Global] Vinyard, Derick: yissss
[Axis] |GeD| Cap kroka: : (

Too much Chit Chat: :29:

[Global] opus: OMG night
[Global] Nightstalker: : P
[Global] opus: I love you...
[Global] Nightstalker: I know opie, I love you too! < 3
[Global] opus: Marry me..
[Global] Nightstalker: YES!
[Global] opus: wtf shot in the face!!
[Global] opus: Im gonna get you ! > D
[Global] opus: Night!, im not wearing undies !
[Global] opus: come take me, i want you now..
[Global] Nightstalker: ok...
[Global] opus: To your right!! INFANTRY!
[Global] opus: omg you missed....
[Global] opus: come north, we need help!
[Global] opus: omg where is my beer.. on the floor perhaps?
[Global] opus: my butt is itching..
[Global] opus: I hate this map! CHANGE IT
[Global] opus: CHANGE IT AGAIN! ADMINS!! CHANGE THE MAP !! FOR MEEE!!!!
[Global] Rye_on_the_Rocks: opus, relax will ya?
[Global] opus: NO!!!! I HATE THE WORLD
[Global] Rye_on_the_Rocks: Why.. I ougtha..
[Global] opus: Can we please change the map??
Apparently, last week, the definition was "EXCESSIVE" chat that was a big no-no. Today, it may be another ambiguous variation.

Blue team caps several flags and employs CatPantsian teamwork. You know, the kind that unites warring cats and horse people. The kind that is uplifting for the soul. I celebrated with a "CP" or "CP Teamwork!" at the last two flag captures, or some such expression of excellent teamwork emotion.

Then, suddenly: BAM. KAPOW. Fisticuffs. Bankick, you fluffy feline heathens! Take your expression of emotion and off to the litterbox!

I'm sure it won't take you much detective work to guess who re-negged on their definition of "Excessive" and ok to post expressive emotion, but I'll tell you it wasn't Opus. :o

Apparently, the same teamwork is very distracting:
-CP-.png
Now, the "we told you so" doesn't hold water here as I was well within the margins of said examples above. I believe I helped with at least 4-5 assists over two games of back to back Al Nas that led to teammates capping flags, not including the 3 that I took in one game alone. Shame on me for helping and expressing.

Discuss at your own leisure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: The vague "Chat Spam" rule that is.

Post by S.O.S »

I'm done with talking. Sit out the ban so we can play some quieter games for a week. You have 2 more chances until a permanent vacation.
fromage

Post by fromage »

S.O.S wrote:I'm done with talking. Sit out the ban so we can play some quieter games for a week. You have 2 more chances until a permanent vacation.
I'm not even mad. I just truly find the now ambiguous "rule" and the silent "talk" quite interesting. Tis' but a mystery of the universe, considering I've been managing a balanced fun factor and having a good time with fellow players, admins and even people who previously complained (your buddy BM). They didn't even seem to mind and we had laughs & teamwork. Shocking. I know....

Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

Thank you.
Can he be banned from the forum for the same amount of time. He will rant here till the cows come home.

Fromage. You have to put the damn CatPantsian crap to rest. Its so childish. Time to grow up. Its getting real old. Do you still wear wizard pajamas to bed for Christ sake. You refuse to heed the plethora of warnings and kicks yet you still taunt SOS. This should have been a ban for life and your posts removed from history. Fricken grow up.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

I glance through stuff, i dont take the time to read it.....did notice things about age.....just curious how old are you cheese.

nothing to read into....just wondering thats all.

I might have misinterpreted some in game chat, thought you might be older....and used another name in the past......and not fromage..

take if from me...someone whos seen this many many times before.

give it a rest.....its an effort in futility.

pointing out the rediculous nature of chat spam wont help.....the preverbial stoking the fire only burns it faster.

what will help are brief comments here and there, and ignoring it.

when a woman bitches you stand there and look at her.....when shes done talking/yelling you keep looking at her.....it may not be over......when she walks away, you walk away. If she throws something, duck.

Its that simple, if you want to get "laid".

IMHO Ive never seen anything that should warrant a kick/ban from chat.....from anyone.....well may be a few times from players ive never seen before...."enemy helo spotted" ten times down chat....but thats it.

I assumed you all are arguing in TS or in your own team chat.

Ty and have a nice day.

every get unbanned and play for a full server!!! :P
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

zanshin1 wrote:
when a woman bitches you stand there and look at her.....when shes done talking/yelling you keep looking at her.....it may not be over......when she walks away, you walk away. If she throws something, duck.

Its that simple, if you want to get "laid".

Note to self ... remember this little tidbit of wisdom next time the wife starts bitc .... ahem, I mean talking to me.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Whatever His age is. I'm sure he has Bedknobs and Broomsticks playing on a loop!

With Great Speed
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

does CP stand for 'childish pr**ks' ? seriously cheeseypants......SOS is one of the best admins ive seen on any server ive played on...he is fair, doesnt rant and rave and when he does speak, its to the point !!

all you are doing, is digging yourself a deeper hole.......

im just going to sit back and wait, til the day when CP dries up and blows away, like a dried dog turd in the wind, and this community can get back to having fun (without the senseless drama)
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

"A dried dog turd" Lmao. Turds are funny.
BTW. I'd like missing letters for $500. Dem.

What is " Ic"

With Great Speed
fromage

Post by fromage »

The very nature of the thread was a humorous poke at a flawed rule. Don't be excessive, they said. I followed the rules according to SOS (aka Default) & Opus and still got the boot. Comical.

It appears that pointing out SOS' contradictory application and purposely vague "chat spam" rule is apparently taboo. And IF someone raises a legitimate point about the rule, and the inconsistent application of said rule, then surely he must be tarred & feathered.

Would you have preferred an angry version? Grrrrrrr. Would that make it more "serious" and legitimate? Now, some might take the thread as "insubordination" or "drama", but if you're wise, you'll look at this as a learning experience to lighten up, make this place friendly once again, revisit flawed rules and foster a culture of fun. That was the reason you're all here...right?

I have lots of respect for the admins here who are open minded and engage. We had lots of fun over the past few days. Change is uncomfortable, yet someone has to point out the flaws & hypocrisy every so often. The thread has accomplished what it was intended to do. :idea:
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

It has always been the purpose of EA117 to provide a fun gaming experience for those interested, under a somewhat simple set of rules that everybody can understand. Believe me, it used to be less complicated in the past. Ever since, we have successfully been able to keep EA117 alive on the DC front. Still new people arrive, still someone don't read, follow or understand rules and face the consequenses.

If a rule truly were flawed or contradicting, it would be reviewed.
This is not the case though, despite how many claims you make.

Why don't you just shut up and play the game ? Why do you have to constantly stir things up?
We are NOT going to review the rules because 1 guy finds it slightly vague or too complicated for his brain to cope with. Just as we are NOT going to change the map because 1 guy wants to play AL NAS....

Let it go..
! --- T E A M W O R K - M A K E S - M E - H O R N Y -- !
~~~ A Good Soldier Obeys Without Question, A Good Officer Commands Without Doubt! ~~~
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Hmm....Al Nas....insert something gay here. I'm a a El Al kinda fella. :D

With Great Speed
fromage

Post by fromage »

opus wrote:It has always been the purpose of EA117 to provide a fun gaming experience for those interested, under a somewhat simple set of rules that everybody can understand. Believe me, it used to be less complicated in the past. Ever since, we have successfully been able to keep EA117 alive on the DC front. Still new people arrive, still someone don't read, follow or understand rules and face the consequenses.

If a rule truly were flawed or contradicting, it would be reviewed.
This is not the case though, despite how many claims you make.

Why don't you just shut up and play the game ? Why do you have to constantly stir things up?
We are NOT going to review the rules because 1 guy finds it slightly vague or too complicated for his brain to cope with. Just as we are NOT going to change the map because 1 guy wants to play AL NAS....

Let it go..
That's pretty funny stuff. Clearly it is an issue because he is contradicting his own words and your own definition. Remember, you kept saying it was "Excessive" when he kicked me for something that wasn't.
Why do you have to constantly stir things up?
Opus, you were actually the first person to clarify the rule. My chat was like the regular/normal example you posted. It was also inline with SOS definition. Now you're BOTH contradicting yourselves and your tone is as dismissive as his.

Look at it this way, I would never have posted this if SOS hadn't contradicted. And now, I've called him out on it. So I'll ask you, what good is a rule if you guys can't even apply it properly (or hide behind it as an excuse to push people out). When you have a player that follows the rule YOU just clarified and still gets a bankick, then this is an issue. You can pretend otherwise all you want but that is the fact in this situation.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I love my signature ....... it just fits.

Edit : I got to thinking about this. Initially I had decided I would not reply to any of these related topics. BUT, in true Nighty fashion ... the silence was too much to bare.

Cheese, look at it this way. Your bridges are burnt, your lifelines have expired and there are no more Wammy's. (Old game show) The best thing I can tell you is to read your Miranda Rights. No this is not a "police" site, but it would be a good insight on how to let this mellow out. Of course I am speaking of the first two lines.

You have been told a blue million times why, what, and how. To think it will be told again ... well look up Albert Einstein's definition of insanity.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
SuperTesla
United States of America

Post by SuperTesla »

In response to Cheese being called "childish", have you guys ever thought that (regardless of age) he is just a guy that likes to joke around and have fun? I'm the same way. Taking everything so seriously is a real bummer. I'm 25 years old, and I'm mature (I like to think, lol), but I come on EA117 to have fun, not to be a "grown up". Of course there are rules and we can't have a server that's pure anarchy, but we gotta have fun!

Cheese, hope the ban wasn't too long!
Long live Catpantsia!

BF player since 2003
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

Your allowed to have fun, as I mentioned before - That's always been the idea behind EA117.
HOWEVER, you are not allowed to spam, ignore admins, or refrain from following the rule set that EVERYBODY has to follow. The rules are there for a reason!

Now, 1 person has submitted an complaint towards an admin. The submission was reviewed and dismissed. No need to further discuss it, as it was dismissed - closed. You don't keep arguing with the judge do you? Once he has ruled, it's final. This is not a court however, but when the admins agree on a point.. And the case was reviewed, you can continue to disagree ALL you want- But it won't change anything.

Case submitted, Case reviewed, Case dismissed. End of story.
Wherever or not you think we are contracdicting ourselves, is irrelevant.

The real problem is, that EVERY LITTLE THING is an issue with you guys.

You are testing our patience, and it's running low....
~~~ A Good Soldier Obeys Without Question, A Good Officer Commands Without Doubt! ~~~
SuperTesla
United States of America

Post by SuperTesla »

Ah, well perhaps this thread should be locked then. I just wanted to voice my opinion on Sarge's post about Cheese, that's all. I'll make sure not to spam chat, because I used to get pretty mad on certain days from dying do much, and usually I'd say something like "..." or "wtf" or "argh" in chat.
Long live Catpantsia!

BF player since 2003
fromage

Post by fromage »

SuperTesla wrote:In response to Cheese being called "childish", have you guys ever thought that (regardless of age) he is just a guy that likes to joke around and have fun? I'm the same way. Taking everything so seriously is a real bummer. I'm 25 years old, and I'm mature (I like to think, lol), but I come on EA117 to have fun, not to be a "grown up". Of course there are rules and we can't have a server that's pure anarchy, but we gotta have fun!

Cheese, hope the ban wasn't too long!
And this, my friend, is why you are 100% on point. A point that is lost on some here.
fromage

Post by fromage »

opus wrote:Your allowed to have fun, as I mentioned before - That's always been the idea behind EA117.
HOWEVER, you are not allowed to spam, ignore admins, or refrain from following the rule set that EVERYBODY has to follow. The rules are there for a reason!

Now, 1 person has submitted an complaint towards an admin. The submission was reviewed and dismissed. No need to further discuss it, as it was dismissed - closed. You don't keep arguing with the judge do you? Once he has ruled, it's final. This is not a court however, but when the admins agree on a point.. And the case was reviewed, you can continue to disagree ALL you want- But it won't change anything.

"Reviewed", he says. LOL. That's truly funny stuff!

Here, I'll caption your OWN words once again.
Your allowed to have fun, as I mentioned before - That's always been the idea behind EA117.
In this last incident (for example, there have been many). There was no excessive chat as defined by YOU. There was NO rule breaking.

Opus, you're really not helping your admin/player foundation of trust here. I was very happily following rules and enjoying the game with my winning team in this last incident. Seeing as how you and SOS just want to sweep it under the rug because it's bad for business, I doubt there'll be further review. Again, nothing was broken, nothing was reviewed. PERIOD.
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Opus is doing a fine job here defending our riles. The problem is he is carrying on a conversation with a pet rock. Damn it fromage. Drop it and be glad most if us are not admins here. Your gang thanks to you would be looking elsewhere to chat spam.

With Great Speed
opus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Denmark

Post by opus »

The admins of EA117 do a fine job in my opinion, and the results speaks for themselves.
Some have been asked, others volunteered to do a job without a paycheck. We do it to contribute, and help maintain the community. Sometimes someone comes along and complain about a rule, or an admin - Usually when they are banned for breaking a specific rule numerous times or cheating.

For the most part, people seems satisfied with the server and it's admins.
Then you came along, a whole group of you.
First Father is a bad admin, then a rule is too vague, then your incorrectly kicked / banned or treated with disrespect. The threads are there to count, issues started by YOU. Each thread has been responded too, each case reviewed, and if the issue truly was valid - action would be taken. We have no problem admitting errors, or review an admin and his/her misdeeds. However! It was found that the actions by Father was legitimate, (case closed), That the rule is NOT vague and the matter handled acordingly, and same goes for the other issues. Therefore no need for further discussion.

If the majority stepped up and asked for a review of a certain rule, it would justify the need to do so. Not because 1,2 or 3 people wants it. Same as with the map change example.

My point is this:
You come into our server and forums, complain about things that nobody else complains about.
So it SEEMS like, you are just trying to stir things up. But regardless of your intentions, the verdict was announced - There was no foul play. Then the matter is considered closed. Not because we want it to be so, or that we want to shut you up. But because, it was already reviewed, and there is nothing more to add.
You may disagree and continue to complain, but it won't change the verdict.

YOU think the rule is vague, YOU believe we are contracdicting ourselves, YOU think we are doing something wrong. YOU and perhaps a few of the CP guys. But what about other Regs? I see no one else adding in, agreeing to your claims. I see no other complaints. YOU have a problem with an admin, a rule, on how things are done around here. So here is my suggestion:

Either accept the terms, or find somewhere else to play. Perhaps start your own server?

One thing is for sure, continue to play on ours - Follow the rules.

End
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

fromage wrote:
opus wrote:Your allowed to have fun, as I mentioned before - That's always been the idea behind EA117.

1.."Reviewed", he says. LOL. That's truly funny stuff!

Here, I'll caption your OWN words once again.
In this last incident (for example, there have been many). There was no excessive chat as defined by YOU. There was NO rule breaking.

2...Opus, you're really not helping your admin/player foundation of trust here. I was very happily following rules and enjoying the game with my winning team 3...in this last incident. 4....Seeing as how you and SOS just want to sweep it under the rug because it's bad for business, I doubt there'll be further review. Again, nothing was broken, nothing was reviewed. PERIOD.
1 and 2 .... I would be careful what you say. You have already questioned the integrity of another admin viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5080&p=38311&hilit=+edited#p38311 and now you are doing it again. For your info it was reviewed. I KNOW for a fact. How do I know this, well, *I* reviewed them. Personally. So again, before you keep on and doing as you said in your OWN words
really not helping your admin/player foundation of trust here.
it would AGAIN be best to LET IT SLIDE!!!! ... your 9 lives are about up I would say. You are NOT taking any hints.

3 and 4... again in your own words,
in this last incident.
Are you sweeping your past under the rug??? Did you expect the noose to get looser as the time went even though the antics in question continued? You have been warned, explained to on the what's and the why's. What more do you want than for people to turn a blind eye to you are your CounterParts. You can say that you are not trying to be defiant but your actions are speaking loud and true.

You are damn good with a shovel Cheese. Just terrible at using it to dig your way out.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

If the majority stepped up and asked for a review of a certain rule, it would justify the need to do so. Not because 1,2 or 3 people wants it.
i fear now you have given him a 'target' to aim for........ :15:

no other regs that i know of, have any issues with the server rules....good ole common sense (which some lack)

isnt recruiting on the server a no no ?! if it is, then there be another rule that was broken.... :18:
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

If I may used your American vernacular "cheese" When you try to make a point around here. Do you feel like Lenny in Flowers for Algernon?

With Great Speed
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Recruiting Demonic? CP is not a real entity. It is not a clan. There is no organization. It is less organized than a barbecue that no one is holding and no one attended.

It is a make believe fantasy land that we joke about nonsense the same way SNL jokes about fake people and places they make up and spin off of real life, fictional or TV characters or shows or whatever. Mix in players here, some innuendo, cats and pants and a dash of international diplomatic speak and poof. CatPantsia.

Apparently a lot of people liked the idea of being "in" on the joke that is CP and put the tag on their name. Others were simply coaxed into it by Cheesemaster. He has an infectious energy for the game and for socializing with a lot of the players here. A lot of us enjoy it. Others don't. For the record, I didn't know midget porn existed until I played on EA117. So as far as crap streaming through global chat, CP stuff is on the lighter side of some of the jokes people have been exposed to here over the years.

I've basically just come to the conclusion that there is a paradigm chasm between a lot of the players here. Many come to only play, and others come to play and socialize. Neither is incorrect, but they seem to repel each other. In this case, those that don't socialize are in charge. (edit: and we're their guests here) Yeah, it's not the whole story, but it also kind of is.

:)