Lost Village CTF

Hav3n
United States of America

Lost Village CTF

Post by Hav3n »

Need to do something about the heli/grail disparity.

Blue has a 1 shot 1 kill heli in the little bird. SMAW unit has no anti-air weapon.

Red has a 2 shot (typically) heli in the whatsitsface. RPG unit has Grail by default.

To say nothing of the slip n slide ability of the red heli/blue main versus the blue heli/red main.

So - can we at least fix the anti-air weapon disparity. It is painfully illogical when you're on blue.
Hav3n
United States of America

Re: Lost Village CTF

Post by Hav3n »

Meaning...I think blue SMAW units should at least have stingers to match the red grails.

The helis and main bases are what they are.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Let me fly the blue helo, we can slip, slip, flip, flop and crash right into the red main ;) Its a sight to see I guarantee.

I thought you had weapons caches with stingers/grails on each side???
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

haven the blue has a 1 shot i kill lil bird?? i think your mistaken, if anyone that has a firing lil bird with no stingers to fight against then its a big problem if it was i would be all over it :o , as far as i know the only helos that shoot are the black hawk which requires either pilot to jump to a gunner position or a gunner or two and typically are slow and using rpgs are pretty effective with a skilled shooter and black hawks gunners are only good up close..

-what version of lost village are you talking about no para? because i believe the ctf only has transport helos.

btw careful what you ask for if you put in stingers then lil birds become mute and might as well run the length on the map on foot....also you have to take out c4 to put in stingers(which is good ;) ).
Last edited by ryeontherocks on March 19th, 2014, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

I think he is meaning it takes two shots to kill the red lil bird. ;)
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

It's worse on Urban Siege when the Gazelle is powerful enough to take out tanks (albeit it carries fewer bullets) AND takes two shots to kill, whereas the Little Bird you can take out with a BB.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Swanny-CG wrote:It's worse on Urban Siege when the Gazelle is powerful enough to take out tanks (albeit it carries fewer bullets) AND takes two shots to kill, whereas the Little Bird you can take out with a BB.
Everything there is true, but the fact it's Urban Siege also means you have no target unless you're lined up right to look nearly straight down on your target. In my opinion blue hasn't had any problem keeping the Gazelle down in Urban Siege, because you can rarely shoot anything at a distance and have no idea where the stingers will be coming from.

How often is that true about the Harrier on Urban Siege... That thing can run undefeated for the entire map, and takes what, 17 stingers to bring down? All red can do is hope for a bad pilot.

-Trench
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

oh my bad, i miss read the post!

i guess the intent of stingers on blue side is to deal with the open nature of the blue main, if you take out blue stingers(which are limited) then red has an advantage...to achieve balance on these maps is surprising difficult and it also varys to the players that are on...perhaps a stinger only pack in blue main to further restrict usage or maybe taking out helos all together and adding one more jeep? (but then the snipers will whine..sigh)

i still think that map needs a car bomb more than helos...lmao
Derick Vinyard
United States of America

Post by Derick Vinyard »

DO IT

SuperTesla
United States of America

Post by SuperTesla »

I agree with Hav3n. Last night on Lost Village CTF I found out that red spawns with the Grail with the RPG kit, and blue team gets SMAW with C4. The only Stinger/Grail location for blue is at the flag at the middle base, on the roof, which is quite a walk from Blue main.

Please add stingers to blue's SMAW kit or remove the stinger from red's RPG kit to balance this out! I kind of like having only one stinger on the map at the middle base, because whoever caps that base has the stinger.

And, yes, the Little Bird AH-6 only takes one stinger to kill, most of the time. Gazelle is a lot stronger!
Long live Catpantsia!

BF player since 2003
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Yeah, my point was that the blue little bird only takes 1 grail shot to kill. The Red heli (gazelle?) typically takes 2 shots to kill. I think 1 very very well placed grail/stinger can disable it, but not blow it up.

But anyways, details aside, the point stands, Red has an anti-air weapon by default on spawn with RPG unit and blue does not with SMAW unit. I think the SMAW unit should have stinger, at the very least.

There are other factors that make it particularly imbalanced (heli type, main base layout) that one could almost make the case to give blue stingers and take grails away from red, but I'm not going quite that far. I think that blue should simply be somewhat equally armed.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Derick Vinyard wrote:DO IT

This.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

The car bomb could be interesting. Especially if it can kill all the people hiding in buildings at red main.

:D
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

A flyin dune buggy that is a car bomb............get rid of lil bird/gazelle......replace with apaches.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

up the 50 cal to take out apache pilot through glass......

wonderful map that would be!
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

Are you sure you wanna do that Zanshin ?! you guys would hate my ass more than yas prolly do now >: D

on maps where there is a obvious difference between the 2 smaller helos with guns, how bout just removing them and adding the transport version instead?! i would prefer that on urban seizure than constantly being mowed down by either of them helos...just an idea.

for LV ctf....perhaps give both teams the same equipment, and same type of helo...then it comes down to who has a better defence..
BROTHERS IN ARMS
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

in the spirit of team game play (which is over rated in my opinion lol), having apaches is a big mistake on a small map zanshin, its just a transport vehicle period... having a turbo car bomb or high powered 50 cal is an interesting concept but it will play to a handful of players that like to goof around with this stuff...and piss off 98% of the other players.

another idea is to have spawn trucks and c4 only maybe even an extra jeep or 2 on both sides with no stingers at all...alla al nas??
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

Im sayin all maps......or some????

now a flyin dune buggy with the mini gun on it......i would say 98% will have fun with that.

speakin of mini guns...where are the blackhawks on LV....
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

can we remove helos on LV? last nite, 2 players from either side got the flag in a helo, and then went way up into the air...basically causing a stale mate...the SAS server, that i have played on in the past, would kick players who would do that....i dont expect that to happen here....i dont know what the outcome was last nite, because i left the server after it happened.

or maybe replace LV ctf, with Docks ctf........
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Demonic wrote:last nite, 2 players from either side got the flag in a helo, and then went way up into the air...basically causing a stale mate...
I wonder if it's possible to server-side mod the choppers like the way car bombs are implemented. Like starting up the chopper starts a 5-minute timer, after which the chopper is going to explode. :)

-Trench
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

Thts rare.......they musta knew each other.....and were doin it on purpose. now if the black hawks were parked at the helo pads, you woulda been able to go get them......

If the dune buggies flew.......you woulda been able to get them.......

A vulcan would done the job too.....

Even if the dune buggies dont fly.....a couple with mini guns woulda solved tht too...

even the 50cal will take those down...

Dont take away from maps....add to them.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

It is a rare occurrence. And it is a problem with the map. I was one of the pilots. I can't remember who the other one was, but we were trying to ram each other, but it is hard to do, especially high up with little visually reference. We actually contacted twice, but no explosions.

When I've stolen the flag, why would I then sacrifice it? There is absolutely no interest in the part of either party to give up the flag. I did it once, and it just...is stupid. But 2 helis flying around endlessly would be stupid as well - but we weren't doing that.

I was eventually shot down because, Ta Da! Red has grails, and I had descended in the attempts to hit each other.

(yet another reminder that the map needs to either give blue stingers or take grails away from red)

If you don't want that to happen, you need to mod the map so there are no helis. It is within the rules and honestly, waiting 5 minutes for 2 heli pilots to zip around and try to save the flag they just stole is a burden you all can bear.
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

i think trenchies idea is sound.....mod the helos so they explode after a certain amount of time...
BROTHERS IN ARMS
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i think trenchs idea is interesting as well but in a normal flow it would be a better idea to just allow stingers on both sides and drop the ceiling and map outta bounds to a level where they could be stingered thus allowing guys to load up and plan an attack...otherwise guys can still bail over the dead base and sit there for long periods...which really is stupid!!

But i am not a modder and i dont know if there is codes for exploding helos i guess you have to mash it with car bomb codes...does anyone know?
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Agree that since the problem seems "rare", if modification is going to be the solution, there are probably more straight-forward modifications that would help rather than "exploding helo".

Stingers would be a fair thing to add regardless, and might help prevent helos from successfully going rogue. Another mitigation to rogue helos could be to increase the number of helos allowed to spawn. i.e. Still have just a single helo spawn point per side, but instead of having the spawn point set to "only 1 helo, and new helo spawns 30 seconds after current one destroyed", setup the spawn point to as "new helo will spawn 300 seconds after the current helo takes off, regardless." So if someone goes rogue, you end up with an additional helo you could chase them down with rather than being helpless.

I don't know the exact parameters or options that allow this; just know I've seen spawn points setup like this where even through the previously spawned equipment is still flying, new equipment spawns anyway.

-Trench