Not good news for BF

ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Re: Not good news for BF

Post by ryeontherocks »

hang tight zanshin i will test it in first thing in the morning.
Derick Vinyard
United States of America

Post by Derick Vinyard »

Trench wrote:
ryeontherocks wrote:PLEASE REGISTER YOUR CD WITH ORIGIN BEFORE END OF JUNE!!!
Have you done it? The link in Capt.Michaels' post doesn't take me into any product registration or activation area that I can find, once I'm successfully logged on with my Origin account ID. If there is a different link you've successfully used, let us know.

Not even the "end of CD-based installation registration" ("C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\eReg\Battlefield 1942_eReg.exe") works. It takes all your information but then ultimately "trouble sending registration information" when it tries to send it via Internet.

(The registration program is trying to resolve u2.ea.com, which is no longer a host name EA has a name entry for. Based on the prompts the program was giving me, I thought it might be failing because my 14.4Kbps modem is unplugged and I don't know where I've misplaced my America Online (AOL) disc...)

-Trench
I just did it. What I did was: Created an account went to My Account > Redeem Product Code > entered my game key > screen came up that my BF 1942 was now registered under my Origin account.

I hope this helps.

-Derick
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Derick Vinyard wrote:I just did it. What I did was: Created an account went to My Account > Redeem Product Code > entered my game key > screen came up that my BF 1942 was now registered under my Origin account.
Thanks Derick, and "interesting." I've redeemed plenty of game codes (codes you buy at any retailer to later enter on Origin or Steam to entitle you to a purchased downloadable game), but I never even thought about entering in my circa 2002 CD KEY into that box.

When I do that, I've now "lost" the EA-provided Battlefield 1942 game that I downloaded for free from Origin. More specifically, it no longer has the second "CD key" that came with the free downloaded game. Now when I go to Battlefield 1942 in "My Games", and click on the "I" information icon for that game, it's showing me the circa 2002 CD KEY that I entered during "registration", instead of the Origin-issued key I used to have.

For someone who only owns the CD version, no harm done and this registration should entitle you to using the Origin-downloaded Battlefield 1942 now too, in addition to your CD-based copy. For someone who has the Origin Battlefield 1942 already, you might want to be sure and record what your Origin-issued key was before performing the "registration" of your physical CD KEY, just in case you can use that extra key for someone else you don't want playing on your key, etc.

(If Battlefield 1942 were still a free downloadable game from EA it would be a non-issue, but since they have now pulled Battlefield 1942 such that you cannot even buy it on Origin, the Origin-issued key might not be something you'll get again any time soon.)

No, re-entering my Origin-issued key in the "registration" process does not put the Origin-issued key back. The registration process reports "this activation code has already been used." Note I'm talking about the Origin-issued Battlefield 1942 "CD key" (labeled "Product code:") as shown in Origin here:

D. Origin key display.png

-Trench
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Capt
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Capt »

Good afternoon gentlemen,
I was requested by Rye to hop in here and help. @Trench: brother, I clicked on the link posted here and it took me straight to Origin's website. It's an either "create username" or look a little further down the page and choose "Log in now" option if you already have an account. The recommendations to log into Origin and register your game with them came from the EA pro board community. The consensus is that Origin will try manage or is trying to manage games like Steam does. It was more a less a cover your butt in case EA pulls something shifty, (kind of like now).

@Zanshin: brother there is more than one way to retrieve your CD key. Here is the easiest, copy this link and paste into your webrowser,(IE, Firefox, Chome, Etc). You know, where the www.forexample.com goes. Just clear out what's listed in your browser and paste this link there.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Then click on the big button that says, "Click here to DOWNLOAD your free copy of the Belarc Advisor" Download it and run. Click run, then follow the prompts, next, next, next, etc. Sometimes it takes few minutes to complete. Once it runs through it's process you will get a webpage that pops up with all your pc's information. Then just look on the upper top left portion of the webpage for a listing that says software licenses. Click on that and it will take you to every single license you have on your computer, included BF42 keys. This program is free for home use only and is trust worthy. A lot of IT people trust and use this program.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Capt.Michaels wrote:I clicked on the link posted here and it took me straight to Origin's website. It's an either "create username" or look a little further down the page and choose "Log in now" option if you already have an account.
Thanks Capt.Michaels, yes the "register a new account" versus "login in with existing account" part was clear. But once successfully logged in with your new or existing account, then what? I'm not seeing any "register your Electronic Arts software" or similar link that made it obvious where "registering my old circa 2002 Battlefield 1942 CD KEY" should be done on the Origin web site.

For now I'm assuming that Derick realized what needed to be done, and you enter in your old CD KEY into the "Redeem Product Code" section as though you've purchased an online code that entitles you to download a game. That's the part which wasn't intuitive or obvious to me.

Here's hoping having the old CD KEY registered now instead of the free key Origin provided helps make a difference. It's not "obvious" to me that this is a necessary step for someone who already has the free Battlefield 1942 in their Origin account, but so long as everyone is clear "you'll lose visibility to your free Origin Battlefield 1942 key if you do this", it doesn't seem like it will otherwise hurt anything.

-Trench
Sarge 1/68th Armor
United States of America

Post by Sarge 1/68th Armor »

This is getting complicated. I just want to bark out fire commands and do burouts in my MBT.

'Silver Lions" 1st Battalion, 68th Armor Regiment, 8th Infantry Division/
SFC. TANK CDR. M1A1....HUA!

With Great Speed
RebelNurse
United States of America

Post by RebelNurse »

Just curious, and I'm aware this might be a stupid question... but what about my CD Keys for Road to Rome and Secret Weapons?
I was almost attacked by an armadillo once
SuperTesla
United States of America

Post by SuperTesla »

I tried to register my SW and RTR keys with Origin and it didn't work. :/
Long live Catpantsia!

BF player since 2003
Derick Vinyard
United States of America

Post by Derick Vinyard »

SuperTesla wrote:I tried to register my SW and RTR keys with Origin and it didn't work. :/
Same w/my BF:BC2 :(
Demonic
Australia

Post by Demonic »

just some ideas i thought of to try and reduce the impact of losing players to the server:

i have no idea if the server IP address is listed when you first join a game (never took any notice to be honest)
but if it isnt there, perhaps it could be added?!
and also add it in those messages during a game (like the no camping messages etc) because most of us find the server in the list and not by IP...it will give those who dont come by the forum a chance to write it down.

is there a forum for DC players, that the IP addy can be 'advertised' ?!

these ideas are just incase the fan is smothered in shit, and people cant find their way to the server......
BROTHERS IN ARMS
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

thanks demonic
keep in mind I am not the tech guy, but Trench has a firm grasp of the technical difficulties that's involved and its more complicated than just ip address. He working tirelessly on it as well as some of the other dc guys in the community, so as soon as Trench is satisfied as to a good solid solution he will let all of us know..sry for the confusion but that's EA for ya!!
again Thanks Trench!!