Modded DC Basrah's Edge

Payne N. Daiz

Modded DC Basrah's Edge

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

Thanks to Swanny for indulging me. He's allowing me to make it the mod over again. Instead of re-working the map to make it different I'm going to try to make the original better. So, to that end I'm only making 2 major changes.

The middle flag is neutral to start the game and your light tank won't respawn if you control the flag nearest the enemy main. I think this can potentially help a team get off it back when pinned down in it's main. Also you have to decide whether or not to hold that last flag if it means your enemy keeps getting a light tank and you don't.

The other major change is the obvious one of replacing the shilka. I gave the Opp a dpv and a Kettenkrad instead.

And since I already put a hidden VSS and Smaw in the other patch, I carried it over.

The hidden weapons and the kettenkrad are just for fun and I don't think will affect the outcome of the game.
Last edited by Payne N. Daiz on April 27th, 2014, 2:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
zanshin1

Re: Modded DC Basrah's Edge

Post by zanshin1 »

Replaced the Shilka with a BRDM2,....something stronger armor....how cum no one likes dunebuggies with miniguns?...that fly?

3) Added a Lada CAR BOMB to the Axis main with a reduced blast radius and no delay. I also gave it a 7 minute re-spawn time. All the other spawning Ladas on the map have been replaced with pickups. There is only ONE Lada on the Map.
firm believer that both sides should be able to have fun not just red.....no delay? so driver cant get away???
2 min respawn.... and dont reduce things...increase them.... :D :D

Added stinger kit in the coalition main? so they can sting themselves?...lmao
People are going to go into blue main to get those......which some are going to bitch about people attacking main etc...which im fine with...lol..
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

zanshin1 wrote:Replaced the Shilka with a BRDM2,....something stronger armor....how cum no one likes dunebuggies with miniguns?...that fly?

3) Added a Lada CAR BOMB to the Axis main with a reduced blast radius and no delay. I also gave it a 7 minute re-spawn time. All the other spawning Ladas on the map have been replaced with pickups. There is only ONE Lada on the Map.

firm believer that both sides should be able to have fun not just red.....no delay? so driver cant get away???
2 min respawn.... and dont reduce things...increase them.... :D :D

Added stinger kit in the coalition main? so they can sting themselves?...lmao

People are going to go into blue main to get those......which some are going to bitch about people attacking main etc...which im fine with...lol..

How about a BMP1 instead of the BRDM2?

7 minutes is excessive...2 or 3 minutes would probably be better. Suicide bombers should die :) The blast is about the size of a flag radius. I could bump is up a bit...

Coalition "fun" would be the gunship...

Well, they are always stealing the Brad, why not a stinger? :)
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by S.O.S »

Personally I think Edge is a pretty well balanced map, no change needed. I've seen both sides winning just about equally. The Shilka can be handled if people know what they are doing.
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

S.O.S wrote:Personally I think Edge is a pretty well balanced map, no change needed. I've seen both sides winning just about equally. The Shilka can be handled if people know what they are doing.
Fair enough...but I wasn't really attempting to balance the map. I just find the shilka annoying and unnecessary and needed an excuse to try modding a map.

After getting started and seeing how easy it was to make simple changes (using the tutorials) I attempted to change up the game-play without imbalancing the map. A "new" map if you will...

Thanks for taking the time to respond...Debbie Downer :P
S.O.S
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by S.O.S »

I understand. It was just my personal opinion. If other players think the modded map is a good idea, I'll go with it. Keep up with the good work and we can use a modder sometime.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

Yeah post up the patch file and we'll have a look.

One thing I can't remember is why the mains don't have bubbles on that map.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Swanny-CG wrote:One thing I can't remember is why the mains don't have bubbles on that map.
So that equipment theft is prevalent. Duh. :)
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

Swanny-CG wrote:Yeah post up the patch file and we'll have a look.

One thing I can't remember is why the mains don't have bubbles on that map.
OK Thanks. I sent you a link to the file in a PM.

I reduced the re-spawn time on the car bomb. Changed the Stinger kit to just a single Stinger and added a hidden VSS.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Sounds interesting Payne. I'm game to try it out.

I need to look into modding maps...get my Lost Village CTF fix taken care of. :)
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

Hav3n wrote:Sounds interesting Payne. I'm game to try it out.

I need to look into modding maps...get my Lost Village CTF fix taken care of. :)
Hey thanks. Do you want both teams to have the same choppers? Or maybe better to replace both with DPVs?
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Payne N. Daiz wrote:Hey thanks. Do you want both teams to have the same choppers? Or maybe better to replace both with DPVs?
I...hope you're talking about Lost Village because I wrote this about Lost Village and not Basrah's Edge. :)

In answer to the question, I'm not sure. Biggest thing to me on Lost Village was blue not having stingers or grails. I'm ok with the current helis remaining probably as I don't think there is an unarmed red heli that is as vulnerable as the AH-6 Little Bird. But if there is, perhaps swap that in for the Gazelle. Otherwise, being able to shoot at a Red Gazelle with anti-air even before and after it lands to steal a flag would be plenty.

I think the HALO drop (or slow descent) parachuting is an interesting twist to just DPVs and running in by ground to steal. It is mainly just the exclusive heli sliding in blue main that is the real disparity on that map in my opinion.

Or - an alternative would be to remove the grails from Red to even it out that way...although, then it really would emphasize the heli snatch & grab tactic...which is fun, but success on that map shouldn't hinge on that. Which perhaps is a supporting reason to just replace the helis after all and make it a ground based running or DPV CTF map.
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

AFAIK, it's easy enough to change the weapons kits but the rub is that it effects all the game modes. That is why the Opp in LV CTF have stingers in AT kit. They are needed for conquest mode...there may be a different way of doing it but I'm not aware of it.

If you change the Coal AT kit to add stingers the expack would get dropped...in CTF and Conquest. I don't think that would be a problem with most players but who knows.

I think both Helis on the map should survive 1 stinger hit. As it is now, the little bird can't get out of main...

For the heck of it I tried to make the MH-6 stronger by upping the hitpoints. It worked until I started a local server...then the map kept crashing. I'm still curious to see if I can fix it, but it would be much easier to give the Coal the same heli as the Opp.

Anyways...I'll make the mod for you if you want, but you'll have to convince the community to give it a try.
zanshin1

Post by zanshin1 »

50 cal hidden on edge ty...
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I don't mind Coalition having a Gazelle. :)
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

Hav3n wrote:I don't mind Coalition having a Gazelle. :)
I gave both teams kits with Stingers/SA-7s and gave both teams the Gazelle. For the heck of it I switched the mains too. This is all theoretical though, since I can't get a "local" server running anymore to check if the changes work. I''ll keep trying, but I can give you the file as is if you want it?

:31:
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

When I gave Swanny the first file I didn't realize there were other vehicles that had car horns and would turn into a car bomb along with the single Lada on the map...car bombs everywhere. Oofa!

I fixed that problem and decided it would be better if both teams had access to a stinger so I put 1 in both mains.

Thought maybe there should be another ZPU. I put one where it's difficult to get to and it has limited range of motion, but it's closer to the middle of the map.

I hid a VSS and a Smaw out and about. Sorry Zanshin, I didn't add the 50cal. I feel the map is too small for it.

I changed it so the Opp has control of the nearest flag at the beginning of the map instead of the middle flag.

Finally I copied what was done on Bocage. The lighttanks (Brad/BMP2) will NOT re-spawn if you control the flag closest to the enemy main. If your pinned in your main, your lighttank will re-spawn and the enemies' won't. It will re-spawn faster too. If it works as designed...
Last edited by Payne N. Daiz on April 23rd, 2014, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

Payne, I think if you start playing with the default hit points (health), it would have to be a client side download versus a patch file on the server. And I believe PB would have an issue with that too.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

Nightstalker wrote:Payne, I think if you start playing with the default hit points (health), it would have to be a client side download versus a patch file on the server. And I believe PB would have an issue with that too.
That could explain it...I gave up trying to adjust the Littlebird hitpoints on LV and gave the Coal a Gazelle instead.
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Awesome. Shoot me the Lostvillage file if you want. I'd love to run it single player and see how it is. (And the Basrah one, I'm curious to try it out unless it is going to hit the rotation soon)
Payne N. Daiz

Post by Payne N. Daiz »

I just wanted to say thanks to Swanny for trying out the mod!

While it's in rotation, please remind players that's the chutes are disabled and that there are 2 ZPU-4s...they are difficult to see from the ground.

Thanks!
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I'm a fan. I like how you can't have HALO jumpers (or HAHO for high opening) coming into flags which makes it more ground based. Loading a helicopter up and having to actually land it to get guys off is so much more similar to actual tactical insertion. In fact, I don't know that people parachute out of helicopters as is. Do they in the military? Regardless....taking the Blackhawk or Little Bird to the middle or far flag is fun since it feels like Black Hawk Down with commandos sitting on the sides ready to hop off on a roof top.

Also, I really enjoy the use of the Blackhawk as a gunship. First map I think I've ever played where the Blackhawk is a sustained threat from the air with mini guns. It's like a small C130. Red still has its chances to take it out with RPGs, but way more realistic than barely being able to fly across half the map before 2 grails puff you into dust.

Overall, I think it is at least a neutral change up. It doesn't seem worse, and maybe is a little better with the things mentioned above, although maybe the shine will wear off. Either way, thanks for making it Payne and thanks for running it guys.
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I threw the LV CTF mod in as well to see how it runs.

Dear Hav3n,

NOW SHUT THE HELL UP. And Payne BETTER be on YOUR Xmas card list.

Love,
Swanny
SuperTesla
United States of America

Post by SuperTesla »

I really enjoyed the new version of Basrah's Edge last night. It's nice not having the Shilka, and the fact that there aren't many stingers on the map is a sigh of relief for Coalition pilots. We had a blast flying/gunning in the Blackhawk last night, dodging RPGs, heh.

Excited to play the new LV CTF tonight. I've missed that map a lot!

Oh, and Hav3n, I think the only helos they parachute from in the military are the V-22 Ospreys and possibly the MH-53's (they're both huge helicopters). I may be wrong.
Long live Catpantsia!

BF player since 2003
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

Swanny-CG wrote:I threw the LV CTF mod in as well to see how it runs.

Dear Hav3n,

NOW SHUT THE HELL UP. And Payne BETTER be on YOUR Xmas card list.

Love,
Swanny

Lmao!