BF2 Operation: Road Rage ported to Desert Combat

SuperTesla
United States of America

BF2 Operation: Road Rage ported to Desert Combat

Post by SuperTesla »

One of the guys from the Interstate 1982 forum, ApacheThunder, recently ported the Battlefield 2 map Operation: Road Rage to Desert Combat. AND IT LOOKS AWESOME.

http://is82.com/e107_plugins/forum/foru ... 70235.last

Hopefully you guys can view that topic without having an account. There's also a neat Youtube video preview of the map.

Here's the download link for the .rar (247 mb)

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/ ... age_DC.rar

It would be awesome if we could play this on EA117 sometime, maybe as a special Sunday event or something?

Map features:

1. Full BF2 port complete with all 149+ statics from Battlefield 2 and BF2: Armored Fury Booster Pack.
2. Special lightmapping technique now allows BF2 statics to appear correctly in BF1942 without noticeable quality loss!
3. A majority of the vehicles on this map were ported directly from BF2. The DPV, Humvee have been replaced by the versions present in BF2. Other BF2 vehicles present are: aav_Tunguska, jep_paratrooper, JEP_VODNIK, tnk_type98, M6_Linebacker, (modified version of DC Bradley tank to look and sound like M6-Linebacker) xp2_musclecar_01, xpak2_Semi.
4. Features new BF2 conversions of stationary weapons: ATS_TOW, ATS_HJ8, USAAS_Stinger, IGLA_DJIHIT.
5. Some guns have their gun fire sounds replaced with BF2 equilivents, this includes the 50 cal MG used on M1A1 and the the stationary guns. (they have been renamed to MEC-Bipod, and US-Bipod respectively)
6. Claymore from BF2 ported and is fully functional! Tested to be stable and no longer requires the complicated PCO and death bubble system needed in previous iterations of anti-soldier landmines. This means they will be fully functional in multiplayer! But watch out, they will go off on friendlies!
7. Vehicle drop handweapon from BF242 mod ported over. Now you can call a vehicle drop where ever you are. Just make sure you are using the Heavy Assault kit!
8. Due to BF2's unusual habit of having most vehicles on their own spawner template, this means greater flexibility for replacing any vehicles you want via a server side mod!. Don't want two A10s or two SU-25's? Just change one of them to a fighter jet!
9. Soldier parachute replaced with BF2 Parachute.
10. Flagpoles and flags replaced with ones from BF2.
11. DDS DXt1 format lightmaps should mean better performance on older machines.
12. Special system employed to allow different minimaps and combat zones on different game modes. This means CTF, and TDM use a combat zone and minimap that looks like the "16 player" sized versions of this map in BF2.
13. Full singleplayer support.
14. Custom Thumbnail and loading screen with the mission briefing text from BF2.
15. Destructible Traffic signs just like in BF2, this includes the fuel tank wagon object!
Long live Catpantsia!

BF player since 2003
Apache Thunder
United States of America

Re: BF2 Operation: Road Rage ported to Desert Combat

Post by Apache Thunder »

You forgot the video I made. It would help preview the map:

Full on BF2 map conversion and with out much loss of detail. It's muliplayer compatible and includes alternate combat area sizes for CTF/TDM game modes. It also has full COOP/Singleplayer support. ;)

Also you'd have a better chance of convincing them if you included the download link to the server files:

OperationRoadRage_DC_ServerFiles.rar

That is what they would need if they wanted to add this to their server rotation.

Also something to note, this map has fully functional Claymores (similar to the AP Landmine that used to be in Desert Combat, however it uses the claymore mesh from BF2 and I have added special coding to allow the mines to detonate from soldiers as the proximity fuse stopped responding to soldiers in the 1.4-1.6 game patches ages ago. But my coding fixes that)

So be aware of that. If the server admins do not want the mines to function, they can easily disable soldier detonation by altering the spawner that is attached to the soldier object (Found in the Init/Mods.con file). The way I got the mines to go off was to attach a spawner with a holdObject command that holds an invisible dummy PCO that acts as the trigger. The claymores won't go off if a soldier crouches, prones, or walks past them (just like how the mines originally operated). However if they run (the default action in BF1942, you have to hold shift to walk in this game) the mines go off.
ImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
SuperTesla
United States of America

Post by SuperTesla »

Ah, thanks Apache! Can't wait to test out those claymores. Those will really come in handy.
Long live Catpantsia!

BF player since 2003
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

thanks for the update, i am familiar with this modd but when i tried it with my older system it caused unbelievable lagg but then i since rebuilt a new one and maybe it might be worth a retry.

it would be better if it could of been ported to battlefield play for free platform so there would still be support from ea, or better yet battlefield 3 with newer graphics that can play like 42, but ea is such a wonderful company...sigh
Apache Thunder
United States of America

Post by Apache Thunder »

This map isn't for the BF242 mod and is a new conversion. It should not lag anywhere near as much as that mod used to. This map is a standalone map for Desert Combat. Everything you see there comes built into the same map rfa and only requires that you have DesertCombat installed. :D

The lightmaps for this map are in DDS DXT1 format which I have confirmed reduces a significant amount of lag associated with running this game on older machines. Something I had not done to any of the BF242 maps.

On a side note, if you run the game with lightmaps disabled, you'll clearly see how I was able to make BF2 statics look good in BF42. Since with lightmaps off, the map will suddenly look like crap. :P
ImageImage
I have cameras in your head!