Midnight Sun (BF2 map conversion for DC)

Apache Thunder
United States of America

Midnight Sun (BF2 map conversion for DC)

Post by Apache Thunder »

This map is another conversion from BF2. This like Operation Road Rage is a map for Desert Combat. :D

A new addition is the road meshes which I created using the line tool in 3DS Max. (I used line tool + sweep modifier, then after it's a mesh and UVMapped, I used the conform tool in the compound objects section to conform the mesh to the terrain) So the road meshes came out looking good.

A new BF2 vehicle is featured in this map. The AAV Type95. It's the alternate AA tank equilivent to the Tunguska from my previous map. As with the tnk_type98 and the xpack vehicles, DACV was originally responsible for porting this vehicle. I only converted it from BFV to BF1942 for use in my mods/maps.

Midnight Sun is a night map taking place in Alaska. It's one of the maps from the Armored Fury booster pack that came out for BF2.

Features:

1. Several BF2 vehicles. Jeep FAAV, Jeep Paratrooper, Type98, AAV-Type95, etc.
2. Some DC vehicles got BF2 style makeovers. the M6-Linebacker is a bradely converted into the AA tank from BF2.
3. Some DC vehicles now use BF2 gun fire sounds.
4. Road meshes similar to BF2 roads. gravel roads and streets present on this map.
5. Fully lightmapped in 3DS Max to emulate the lighting of the original BF2 map.
6. Alternate combat zone sizes for TDM/CTF game modes.
7. Full Coop/Singleplayer support.
8. Similar features brought over from my Operation Road Rage conversion.
9. Missing AI template fixed on AH-6. Don't think you can fly it around and expect the bots to ignore you now. The AAV-Type95 will rip you a new one. :P

Known bugs:

1. Minor Z-clipping issues with road meshes and terrain. This is unavoibable. Not as bad as it would be on smaller maps as the large heightmap resolution (2018x2048) seems to mitigate this effect to where it's not a big eye sore.
2. There's a brige the bots sometimes "miss" and end up driving into the river. Not a show stopper. There's other minor issues with the vehicle pathmaps, but I won't spend days fixing every little problem. They are able to get to all the flags and cap them, so that's what counts.
3. Some of the ladders don't behave correctly. For example, some ladders you have to approach from behind to climb them. This is a result of BF1942's crappy buggy ladder system. I won't bother trying to fix them. At least they work and you end up climbing the correct side when you do get on them.
4. Due to the large resolution needed for many of the lightmaps, you might need a video card with at least 256MB of video ram to play this map without slowdown.

Screenshots:

Video Preview:

Download Links:

Client Files: (most will use this to play the game)
MidnightSun_DC.rar

Server Files: (Most will use this to host dedicated servers)
MidnightSun_DC_ServerFiles.rar
Last edited by Apache Thunder on May 26th, 2014, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
SuperTesla
United States of America

Re: Midnight Sun (BF2 map conversion for DC)

Post by SuperTesla »

YOU ROCK, SIR!
Long live Catpantsia!

BF player since 2003
fromage

Post by fromage »

Very nice! Thanks for adding these.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Apache Thunder wrote:Server Files: (Most will use this to host dedicated servers)
MidnightSun_DC_ServerFiles.rar
This link does not work for me. The client files link works fine, so I assume it's not just me?

-Trench
Apache Thunder
United States of America

Post by Apache Thunder »

Thanks for spotting that. I left out the file extension in the URL half of the bbcode by mistake. I corrected it now so It should work. ;)
ImageImage
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

This looks good. Would this makes it's way into ea117's rotation? Along with Road Rage?
Nightstalker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by Nightstalker »

That looks good. Unfortunately maps that have to be downloaded do not get a great following anymore. We tried that on a few of our other custom maps last year and it wiped the server population every time.
God bless the past and present men and women in uniform.
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives. This is Nightstalker and this is EA117.
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

well...just tell them were to go
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

Sry...to download these maps
Apache where do you play these maps in DC?
Apache Thunder
United States of America

Post by Apache Thunder »

I don't understand the question...What server? Which version of the game? What place in the country? :P

I have play tested the maps long enough to know they should work. Lately have spent more time working on mods then playing them actually. :P

As far as I know there isn't a server hosting these maps in game-play. The maps themselves are for Desert Combat and are completely stand-a-lone. That is, the maps are self contained and do not require anything other then Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat. ;)

EDIT:

Oh and the forums I visit most often and also post my modding on is bfmods.com

In case that is what you meant... :P
ImageImage
Sgt. B
Canada

Post by Sgt. B »

I meant which server,probably not the best forum to ask however...if someone in ea117 put these somewhere in the rotation,made Tesla (or someone)an admin,us late night players could run these gems when there's only five of us on anyways
Apache Thunder
United States of America

Post by Apache Thunder »

Oh. That's something I wouldn't know then. If they do end up on the EA117 server, it won't be by me, so I wouldn't be the person to ask about this. :P

As of right now there is no other servers (that I know of) that is playing these new maps.
ImageImage
fromage

Post by fromage »

Apache Thunder wrote:Oh. That's something I wouldn't know then. If they do end up on the EA117 server, it won't be by me, so I wouldn't be the person to ask about this. :P

As of right now there is no other servers (that I know of) that is playing these new maps.
I was just about to ask and see if anyone was hosting the game on a public server. I downloaded both maps and they are awesome. Lots of potential. Thanks for going to the trouble to make these!

Swanny or other admins - I would highly recommend adding these into the rotation and highly promoting it so people download the new maps. They could help add some players and add some fun into the rotation.

Maybe starting it off as a weekend thing as a test while it's being promoted?
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i have been aware of these new modds and i tested them at least a year ago or so. But a really big problem with these maps at least for my old pc was severe lagg when online!!! i agree they are cool but it would be a problem for alot of players with older pc, if that's still the case. A former admin which shall remain nameless created a few modds with a lot of the tanks and helos from that modd in case you forgot ie:dustbowl modded and see nights post above!
Apache Thunder
United States of America

Post by Apache Thunder »

Some of my old maps for BF242 used TGA format for lightmaps and was likely the source of a lot of lag on older machines. All my maps now use DDS DXT1 with mipmaps which improves performance a lot. I haven't tested these maps on an old PC, but I do recall testing an older map like DC Sea Rigs that I had recently made new lightmaps for in DDS format on a old PC I had at the time and it ran considerably better then the version I had that used TGA files.

I would say have someone retest these latest maps as I'm pretty sure they won't lag as much as the old maps. The vehicle layout and such for Midnight Sun/Operation Road Rage isn't out of the ordinary for a DC map (aside from the fact that most vehicles on these two maps are BF2 conversions. :P ).

I don't see a reason why network lag would be an issue with my maps. But these particular maps haven't been tested on proper servers yet, so I wouldn't know. :(
ImageImage