Re: Battlefield 1942 Server List Hangs / GameSpy Shutdown

mistamontiel
Cuba

Post by mistamontiel »

Workarounds total unnecessary.. thinks.. unless you're like me who hosts from ingame and never attempt to get ded. server goin :|

So who needs to browse

Can just construct shortcuts like we all did when GS had their issues for a week's worth back in 2010 was it
Derick Vinyard
United States of America

Post by Derick Vinyard »

mistamontiel wrote:Workarounds total unnecessary.. thinks.. unless you're like me who hosts from ingame and never attempt to get ded. server goin :|

So who needs to browse

Can just construct shortcuts like we all did when GS had their issues for a week's worth back in 2010 was it
The improved .exe Trench linked above is well worth the DL/install for eliminating the loading crash, no cd and in-game res options alone. It took me like 45 seconds to update my BF using the above instructions and I am a jackass. I recommend it to everyone.

-Derick
mistamontiel
Cuba

Post by mistamontiel »

Load fix and no disc solved ages ago just nocd crack and set NT compatibility, and no punkbuster does not care

But ya to each his own get IP/port, manage getting everywhere, GS had issues for a week straight in like 2010 and the entire population still turned out

Never meant to rant around, it just boils down to the player, he/she should consider what's convenient, what's potential conflicting, I mean what's this masterserver hype for anyway ? I think there are like three already ? And from providers/frick-clans with bad rep who condone pirating even this.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

mistamontiel wrote:Workarounds total unnecessary..
Thanks mistamontiel, we agree completely that not fixing the actual hang issue, and then simply "avoid the fact that a hang will occur" by creating your own "+joinServer" shortcuts to the servers you want, and/or using a third-party game manager like XFire or GameRanger (which in turn will spawn BF1942.EXE +joinServer when you pick a game you want to join in the third-party game manager) will also successfully mitigate the issues caused by the GameSpy shutdown.

But while they're obvious or preferred methods an advanced gamer like yourself would use, we're actually trying to make the simplest, clearest and most universally applicable solution for the Battlefield 1942 community as a whole. (Not just the EA117 server community, either.) Some players will be lost without being able to find current servers & new future servers in the existing in-game browser, not to mention this can still be deemed "the simplest option" even for some advanced gamers.

As such, we're recommending the use of the modified BF1942.EXE, which actually eliminates the hang issue if the master server is not responding, regardless of whether we're talking about the "master.gamespy.com" server being down or even the replacement "master.bf1942.sk" server being temporarily down for some reason. In addition, the modified BF1942.EXE also switches from using "master.gamespy.com" to using the replacement "master.bf1942.sk" server, so that the in-game servers list will present both existing and new public servers made available in the community.

So please do feel free to use whichever solution seems most appropriate to your situation. Just realize that our primary goal here is to recommend the most function, easy to use and easy to explain fix for everyone.

I've locked the original topic just to keep the information being linked to by the public ea117.com/gamespy link clean and informative, but please do feel free to discuss anything related to the GameSpy shutdown information in this separate thread here.

-Trench