Game locking up on startup

<HHD> Nick Fury

Game locking up on startup

Post by <HHD> Nick Fury »

Ok Guys when I start the game it starts to load and freezes every time on server list screen. Is this the dreaded problem everyone has expected? I cant figure out why it will not go any further.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Re: Game locking up on startup

Post by Trench »

Yes, that is the problem we've been expecting to happen "any day now."

Using the appropriate updated BF1942.EXE from ea117.com/gamespy will address the issue, or if preferred, one of the alternate solutions listed on that page.

-Trench
<HHD>__MOFO
United States of America

Post by <HHD>__MOFO »

heres what worked for me...."note"...Im running XP..
http://forum.bf1942.sk/files/bf1942_gamespy_patcher.exe
I clicked on this ....pressed RUN and fixed!!! :D :D
<HHD> Nick Fury

That patcher keeps crashing on my windows 7 computer. I tried running in compatibility mode but didnt work.
<HHD> Nick Fury

i dont know how I did it but all fixed :31:
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

<HHD>__MOFO wrote:heres what worked for me...."note"...Im running XP..
http://forum.bf1942.sk/files/bf1942_gamespy_patcher.exe
I clicked on this ....pressed RUN and fixed!!! :D :D
Agreed; that's the solution mentioned as "Option 2" in the ea117.com/gamespy.

If someone ALREADY has the fixed/modified BF1942.EXE patches that were available in the months BEFORE any GameSpy shutdown was announced, then the "bf1942_gamespy_patcher.exe" (or manual modification of the "hosts" file) is really almost all that is necessary.

I do still consider that the "apply a fixed BF1942.EXE" (the primary recommended solution in ea117.com/gamespy) is still be best-quality solution. Because not only does it ensure you get "the other fixes" such as widescreen support that come with the updated BF1942.EXE, but it also ensures that the master server will continue to work even if AX ends up having to change their ISP / change their IP addresses.

(By modifying the "hosts" file, you're hard-coding a specific IP address to be the one BF1942.EXE will talk to when it tries to resolve master.gamespy.com. By using the fixed BF1942.EXE, the game itself will now resolve master.bf1942.sk "to whatever address this DNS name resolves to", which allows AX to change IP addresses without your game breaking & without you having to update your "hosts" file yet again.)

-Trench
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

fwiw I just use xfire to connect to the server...don't really want to install some random program from the intrawebs...
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

fluffy wrote:fwiw I just use xfire to connect to the server...don't really want to install some random program from the intrawebs...
Understood. In that case, manually editing the "hosts" file can be an approach that meets your needs, if you should ever want to fix the in-game hang. Having a third-party launch like XFire avoids the hang on the way in, but if you get kicked out to the game menu, it can still be nice to not have it hang.

"Running a modified BF1942.EXE from the Internet" wasn't new for me (and presumably many others) because we were already running one in order to have the widescreen support and other fixes, long before this GameSpy shutdown issue came about. The GameSpy shutdown fix is just a minor change in the BF1942.EXE relative to those previous fixes that were already available.

But "not running some random thing from the Internet" is still a good posture to have, and in this case there is an alternate workaround available that lets you go ahead and be that cautious if you're not ready to believe or risk that much.

-Trench