dead comp = no playing.

Grey Ghost

dead comp = no playing.

Post by Grey Ghost »

Just wanted to say I've been absent from Desert Combat because very old comp finally died. I had kept it running the last few years by cannibalizing other old computers (3 children so always an unused "old" comp around) but the motherboard has apparently quit. Swapping cpu didn't help and the boys are off on their own so no more old comp. parts to try.
Thought about saying I was absent because I had been grossly offended by being beat up on by the really good players (not Rye obviously) but was concerned there were some who might believe it. :D

Have put together a wish list over at NewEgg of what I THINK would be a good system for my type of mild gaming. The list is "public" so can be viewed by anyone in case someone would like to tell me what bad choices I made. List name is "Dads comp build" and is dated the 27th. Price is very much a concern as the wife still isn't convinced that gaming makes me better in bed.

Main point here being...I'm not dead...I don't think...and will be back in the game as soon as possible.
Thanks for a place to play!
Seriously!
Last edited by Grey Ghost on April 2nd, 2015, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fromage

Re: dead comp = no playing.

Post by fromage »

Grey Ghost wrote:Just wanted to say I've been absent from Desert Combat because...
We had a search party looking for you...albeit, rather nonchalantly. We searched high and low. Mostly low. French cafes, , boulangeries and nihilistic cow-infested ranch-land. :P As for your wife's concerns, just remind her that the game-time is time she won't have to deal with you. She should be supporting this venture, if anything. :D

Good luck and hurry up so we can harass, I mean, remind Rye he's Canadian. :39:
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Appears to be "Dads comp build" with no apostrophe.

I don't know my computer builds that well, but seems like a fine budget machine.

Will you need GPU at least though? Probably not a very powerful one for DC, but certainly something, unless that processor/motherboard can do graphics?

I run DC on a 1080p monitor and it works really well - although I'm sure its because my GPU doesn't break a sweat running the game. Obviously the geometry and textures don't hold a candle to newer games, but the physics and flying are superb nice and big.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

i am no expert as well..apparently not in game either ;-)
...but i would suggest spending just a little more to get more longevity out of your new system...my regrets are not getting at least a 240 g ssd drive.--(i am in the process of upgrading too around 500 gb)...i really love them and will never go back to regular drives for anything more than back-up you might max out 120 quick. (but for this game and light stuff like word processing, what you have is nice )also i would boost you power supply to preferably a silver certified or better 600w approx to allow you to get a graphics card later on. I have been burned by going for lower end ones and ending up frying everything! its shouldn't be more then 80-90 bucks, keep in mind make sure its certified for that motherboard and cpu before ordering it!! gigabites website (mother board supplier) will list compatibles .

I have nothing against amd cpus..but i had a intel integrated graphics card (no additional graphics card ) and it is really more than fine for this game...(i just bought a 970gtx geforce on sale) no difference!

If you want a great place for reviews on pc parts my i suggest http://www.tomshardware.com/
they show quarterly builds at different price marks i would use there logic and adapt to sale prices to max out what you can get.
Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost »

I had completely forgotten about that Monty P skit. LOL Thanks Cheese.
Now if I could just remember why I still dream about dead parrots...
I told my wife what you said about the game keeping me busy and suddenly she's on board with this project. Strange.
I used to say "damn lazy cattle". I still SAY that but I'm thinking "damn nonchalant cattle". It concerns me quite a bit that I may someday say it out loud in front of my ranching friends. That would get ugly fast.
However, if the cattle have been grazing on grass for a week and you show up in the feed truck...they are neither nonchalant NOR nihilistic. Rancher I knew was standing a little too close to the feed containers and all we found was one boot and a badly stained hat. The hat was a Stetson so we sent it to the company and true to their word, they cleaned it up so well it looked almost brand new. If it wasn't for the reconditioned hat it would be a really sad story.
I digress.

Hav3n- Yes, the AMD FM2 cpu is what I believe they call an APU. Radeon graphics built in. From what I have read it should provide very nice graphics for my needs. Certainly better than what I was using by a long shot. With my old graphics card I played mostly by listening because I couldn't see very much...well sort of...OK, I may be exagerating somewhat.
I digress.

Rye- I've spent a good bit of time at Tom's relearning the tech since it has advanced quite a bit since I last built a comp.
My wife found what she thought was a great deal on a Samsung 250g SSD (850 EVO 2.5" SATA III) and got that instead of the 120 I had picked. I also decided to get the AMD A8-7600 Kaveri quad core instead of the A6-7400 dual core. A8 has Radeon 7, A6 has Radeon 5. Got the slightly faster 2100 G Skill Ripjaws mem too.
You may have a point about the PSU. If it turns out to be too weak I'll use it to power a home theater computer (I may have enough spare parts from older computers to build most of that). My oldest son just put one of those together for himself so I have help there.

I very much appreciate the assistance and friendly comments Gentlemen, vous aussi Mon. Fromage.
Everything has been ordered and the WAITING HAS BEGUN (rythmic drumming of fingers on table).
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

Grey Ghost wrote:Hav3n- Yes, the AMD FM2 cpu is what I believe they call an APU. Radeon graphics built in. From what I have read it should provide very nice graphics for my needs. Certainly better than what I was using by a long shot. With my old graphics card I played mostly by listening because I couldn't see very much...well sort of...OK, I may be exagerating somewhat.
I digress.
Ah, that's great. I love how "lite" DC is on the graphics so hopefully you can just max it out and have a blast with it.
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

remember cheese Canada is on top of the USA if you make us laugh we could pee...so ghost use you new super powers for good!!
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

wow thanks swanny...have you ever used the microsoft swap?? seems a little too good to be true?
Swanny-CG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Swanny-CG »

I haven't yet, planning on building a PC this year. I have NO IDEA how they get the keys but I believe they are legit - there are WAY too many people reporting in that they had no issues. When the time comes I will totally go there and if I lose my $25 then I'll survive :)
Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost »

Holy cow Swanny!
I had no idea such places existed. I mean now that I think about it, the software place is a no brainer. Kind of a slap your palm to your forehead and roll your eyes kind of obvious. I use my software till it's used up. For those who have to have the latest though, selling their 2 year old software to those who are using 6 year old (or older) software is pretty much just common sense.
And the hardware place is like a candy store to a kid with a sweet tooth who just doesn't know what to pick but there are folks there who can advise him. WHEeeee... !

My new build was missing one thing. An operating system. We were going to see if my youngest's classification as a university student could get an OS at an exceptable discount, but I see OSs at very nice prices on that site (I've been using Windows XP on desktop). I might even give up my 2005 MS Word and my crippled (came installed on my laptop) Microsoft Office 2010 and get something with a bit more "pizazz".

You assisted me some time back by getting my hash off the ban list after it had accidentally been placed there (I always suspected Rye :D ) and now again.
I thank you Sir.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Grey Ghost wrote:I had completely forgotten about that Monty P skit. LOL Thanks Cheese.
Now if I could just remember why I still dream about dead parrots...
I told my wife what you said about the game keeping me busy and suddenly she's on board with this project. Strange.
I used to say "damn lazy cattle". I still SAY that but I'm thinking "damn nonchalant cattle". It concerns me quite a bit that I may someday say it out loud in front of my ranching friends. That would get ugly fast.
However, if the cattle have been grazing on grass for a week and you show up in the feed truck...they are neither nonchalant NOR nihilistic. Rancher I knew was standing a little too close to the feed containers and all we found was one boot and a badly stained hat. The hat was a Stetson so we sent it to the company and true to their word, they cleaned it up so well it looked almost brand new. If it wasn't for the reconditioned hat it would be a really sad story.
I digress.
:D

Oh yes sir, the Norwegian Blue. Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn't it?! Beautiful plumage. It's not dead...it's pining for the fields!

Ghostie - funny stuff. :D Cattle are like cats. Just bigger. Not to worry about those ranchers though. Everyone's packin' heat there, soooooo, at most, you might get a few dirty looks, but nothing more. Hey, that Stetson would look great on the parrot...or on your PC. It's pining for DC!

Good to hear you've gotten it ordered. See you on the range, partna! :39:
fromage

Post by fromage »

ryeontherocks wrote:remember cheese Canada is on top of the USA if you make us laugh we could pee...so ghost use you new super powers for good!!
That all Depends on the joke, Rye...

Doc
United States of America

Post by Doc »

I forgot how funny the series was !!! I watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail when I need a good laugh.I loved it.Thanks for the video.
tonawandares
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
United States of America

Post by tonawandares »

Motherboard = ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150
Processor = Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor
Power Supply = Corsair RM Series 650 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply
Memory = CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) (comes with (2) Corsair SP 120 mm fans)
Storage 1 = Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5-Inch 240GB 6Gb/s SATA 3 Exclusive LAMD LM87800 Toggle SSD
Storage 2 = Western Digital 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive, Black, WD2003FZEX
GPU:ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC20C-4GD5
Cooling 1 CPU = Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
Cooling 2 = Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition Twin Pack Fan + 2 intake / 1 Exhaust 120mm Fans with Case
Optical Drive = LG Electronics 24X SATA Super-Multi DVD Internal Rewriter with M-Disc Support (Black) GH24NS95B
Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
Case = Corsair Vengeance Series Black C70 Mid Tower Computer Case

Total Cost= $1,785.00
Doc
United States of America

Post by Doc »

I bought a nice Alienware computer from Dells scratch and Dent sale it is pretty nice.Got it for around $700.00.I will post specs later,but I ran the free BF4 game and it worked fine.
fromage

Post by fromage »

Doc wrote:I bought a nice Alienware computer from Dells scratch and Dent sale it is pretty nice.Got it for around $700.00.I will post specs later,but I ran the free BF4 game and it worked fine.
Their refurb deals are pretty good. I've bought one before and that thing lasted a long time.

And, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. :D
Doc
United States of America

Post by Doc »

lol ,But I'm not dead yet I think I'm feeling much better.Go ahead and die ya big baby! so many good lines in that movie.My wife hates it ,thinks it"s stupid .Definitely a guy movie
fromage

Post by fromage »

Doc wrote:lol ,But I'm not dead yet I think I'm feeling much better.Go ahead and die ya big baby! so many good lines in that movie.My wife hates it ,thinks it"s stupid .Definitely a guy movie
haha

Hates it? Let her know these are grounds for divorce. :D
Doc
United States of America

Post by Doc »

She said after 35 years it would take more than that.LOLshe has her movies I have mine
fromage

Post by fromage »

:D
Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost »

MUAHAHAHA...!!!
I'm BAAAACK!
Spent last 2 days assembling the comp. pieces and parts that were on that list. Went very slow and CAREFUL. Then went to the site Swanny mentioned and got Win 7 for cheap and it WORKS.
Now I'm starting the programs installation and general tweeking. Awful tedious but kinda fun.
Installed BF 1942 (not patched yet) and tried single player. HOLY COW. I can SEE things now. I never knew there were ants and gnats in the game.
No more playing by sound anymore for me.

Been so long since I patched the game I've forgotten how I did it.
I'll search old threads here to remind me.

Very soon now you will hear my "EN GARDE SALE COCHON" as I get back in the game.
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

If you're using a CD-based installation of Battlefield 1942, then the instructions you need are in HOW TO: Use the CD-based Battlefield 1942 game to play on the EA117 server. Covers the normal game patches, the required PunkBuster patch, and also the GameSpy shutdown patch (which will also give you widescreen support for your new rig).

-Trench
ryeontherocks
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Canada

Post by ryeontherocks »

oh you were gone?
pistol

Post by pistol »

I saw you mentioned losing Microsoft Office 2010...

I actually just moved my 2007 Dell up from Windows Vista to a nice new copy of Windows 7 (didn't know about the swap, blast!).

Anyhoo, try KINGSOFT OFFICE. It's basically a straight up Microsoft Office knockoff. I've been using the free version of Excel and Word and they are spot on functional imitations. Uses .xlsx and .doc and all the other types too.

Oh those crazy Chinese...