Desert Combat: Global Front map Bunker Complex

Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Desert Combat: Global Front map Bunker Complex

Post by Trench »

Following-up on IrishLincoln's suggestion we try to get the Bunker Complex map onto the server, Desert Combat: Global Front is apparently a "mod on top of a mod" that further changes Desert Combat to include additional vehicles and weapons, and is not just "a map that existing Desert Combat game clients could run."

Unfortuantely the download links are to http://www.moddb.com/, which indicates the last / latest version is no longer an available mod download for further examination. But even if the download was still available, the fact that there are new vehicles available (even if just a new texture for an existing model) means we're talking about a mod that all players would have to install; not just a map that could be put into rotation on the current server.

So no joy there in being just a server-side map mod that could be thrown into the rotation.

-Trench
JagdTurkey

Re: Desert Combat: Global Front map Bunker Complex

Post by JagdTurkey »

On pixel fighter they seem to run into the situation of low players when running custom maps. As hard as they try to get everyone to download a custom map, it's just not going to happen. The server will go from 45-50 players to around 10-20 in one map switch. They're awesome maps though that are pieces of art that their mapping team spent months building.
slogvn

Post by slogvn »

^Yep. Same thing when they tried running customs here a couple years ago. No one can be bothered to invest a few minutes or megabytes of HD space installing new maps - so we miss out on stuff like the above, or this. :roll:
fromage

Post by fromage »

slogvn wrote:^Yep. Same thing when they tried running customs here a couple years ago. No one can be bothered to invest a few minutes or megabytes of HD space installing new maps - so we miss out on stuff like the above, or this. :roll:
I added those two maps previously from the link you posted. I thought they were fun (and different). It was pretty easy to install too. Maybe we can try again to promote the downloads so we can try running these or something different....
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

Silent Assassin
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

and it work :)
now we must create a server for this mod is too good
Silent Assassin
Trench
Admin
Admin
United States of America

Post by Trench »

Cool... yeah, I didn't go try and find the older versions. This is a previous 2010 release, as opposed to what was apparently their final release in 2013. I'm sure that means it still works fine too; just without whatever they added or fixed in the "B" release that was made later.

We've had some "you must download these separately" maps even here on EA117 for a while. And at certain times, we've had enough of the regulars download to where there were some fun games on Gulf War 2, Forbidden Valley and the modded Dustbowl that used alternate helo models and skins. But yeah, more often than not, just tended to clear out the server as everyone who didn't have the map downloaded dropped.

-Trench
Hav3n
United States of America

Post by Hav3n »

I'd be game to try new stuff, but I think that iterative updates to existing games require a larger user base to be successful.
Mali Mrav
Croatia

Post by Mali Mrav »

now i have a question...
do any other players play dc realism?
that is a good mod and i like it...
Silent Assassin